Catholics With Backbones

  • Thread starter Thread starter Friend_Of_Rome
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Friend_Of_Rome

Guest
Talking with all different people, Catholic or not, they all say that people would be more obedient to the Church, let alone, “any Church,” if the bishops and priests acted on their beliefs, ratehr than simply preaching. Many of my priest friends do this, but still, many do not. What are your opinions on this issue? Should the ordained always be forced to act?

Well, it worked well for St. Maximillian Kolbe, John Paul II, St. Ignatius, etc. . . .:rolleyes:
 
Most priest should be able to practice what they preached. The priest I have know have been preaching what they preach.
 
I think more people would be obedient to the church and drawn to the church if the priests would actually say something at Mass. I am so tired of one inane homily after another saying ‘God is love’, or ‘make Jesus the center of your life’, with no clear teaching for what this means. We need to know what Scripture says so we have the readings, but I thought seminary would prepare the priests to tell us what those read Scriptures mean!
Priests seem bored stupid with what they are doing, so how are they going to light a fire under the parishoners? When I do run across a priest who can teach (which is different from being a dynamic preacher, IMO) I just crave to hear more. I think most orthodox priests have full parishes, whereas the struggling ones are not filled to overflowing except if it is by habit or location that people are there. I will travel an hour for a good, holy Mass, hands down.
 
There are just as many styles of preaching as there are priests. Some are quite loud and forceful and yet others are gentle as lambs. Just because some priests don’t shout, doesn’t mean they don’t have backbone! My parish priest seems really quiet and full of grace on the surface, but he doesn’t need to shout. He gets his point across in a whisper… you can just look at this man and see holiness. He doesn’t need to raise his voice; when he speaks, everyone shuts up and listens! On the other hand, our last pastor, while he wasn’t all fire and brimstone, he was much louder and much much more long winded. He wasn’t afraid to tackle subjects like fornication or dwindling gifts… honestly, he could go on and on…but everyone listened intently. Both of these priests are very special to our community. One is at my parish, the other is 5 miles down the road and our congregations are interchangeable! We love them both.

A couple of years ago the principal of the parish school wanted to kick my son out the pastor very gently yet firmly reminded me that he has final say and my son was going nowhere…
 
I don’t mean to sound judgemental but, it sounds like you are judging the priest by what he gives to you. If you crave more what is keeping you from doing something about it? Do you read Scripture daily, do you study? there are many sources of information. Maybe your priest would like to hear from you? Maybe he’s a little tired of standing in front of blank empty faces who don’t really care?

You words of encouragement, your expressed desire for more and to do more might envigorate both of you and some others along the way.

Just some things to consider.
 
I do not think it is accurate to say I judge the priest on what he gives to me. I may judge a priest on his unwillingness to ruffle anybody’s feathers, so he keeps the homilies as non-confrontational as he can. This does not go for every priest, I am making a statement of the general case within the priesthood today, and there are exceptions. I go to Mass primarily for the Eucharist, and yes, I read the Bible, say the Rosary, and all.
I do attend Mass daily, and I do not expect all priests to have the same preaching style. One can soft spoken and a good teacher, in fact, they are probably the best.
It is simply true that priests are men, just like the rest of us, and they have to work/I] at being the very best they can be in their vocations. And, just like the rest of us, they probably get tired of what-seems-like the same mundane tasks day after day.
However, none of us should be giving in to our natures which cause us to stagnate. I have to overcome my boredom each day to read the same story to my younger children that I have read for 12 years now to the older. It is up to me to give them the same love and enthusiasm and discipline that I gave to the older when there were not so many others underfoot.
Priests should be giving no less to their spiritual children. And we, in return, must support the good and holy priests through these terrible times of crisis. It goes both ways.
 
Talking with all different people, Catholic or not, they all say that people would be more obedient to the Church, let alone, “any Church,” if the bishops and priests acted on their beliefs, ratehr than simply preaching. Many of my priest friends do this, but still, many do not. What are your opinions on this issue? Should the ordained always be forced to act?

Well, it worked well for St. Maximillian Kolbe, John Paul II, St. Ignatius, etc. . . .:rolleyes:
Forcing defeats the purpose. The reason tha Kolbe and JPII were so effective is they did it out of love. They were forced to do nothing and if they had been forced, they wouldn’t have been effective.

Secondly, I agree it would be helpful if all of our Priests were saints. But unfortunately, they are as prone to sin as we are. This is why we need to pray for our Priests more and support them more. They have awesome and supernatural responsibilities that require supernatural faith.

Finally, the foibles of particular Priests do not excuse our own sinful behavior. We need supernatural graces to overcome our sinfulness. God help us (and He is, thank God!).
 
Today’s Gospel Reading (it’s Tuesday 6th here) is Mt 23:1-12

Jesus spoke to the crowds and to his disciples, saying,
*“The scribes and the Pharisees
have taken their seat on the chair of Moses.
Therefore, do and observe all things whatsoever they tell you,
but do not follow their example. For they preach but they do not practice.

They tie up heavy burdens hard to carry
and lay them on people’s shoulders,
but they will not lift a finger to move them.
All their works are performed to be seen.
They widen their phylacteries and lengthen their tassels.
They love places of honor at banquets, seats of honor in synagogues,
greetings in marketplaces, and the salutation ‘Rabbi.’
As for you, do not be called ‘Rabbi.’
You have but one teacher, and you are all brothers.
Call no one on earth your father;
you have but one Father in heaven.
Do not be called ‘Master’;
you have but one master, the Christ.
The greatest among you must be your servant.
Whoever exalts himself will be humbled;
but whoever humbles himself will be exalted.” *

Nothing changes much, does it?
 
What I’m saying is that wouldn’t it be better if they practiced and preached?
 
Nothing changes much, does it?
Sure, if all the priests are hypocrites.

It sounds like you guys want an activist leader, not a priest.

What more can he do to be an example of living a holy life? He’s already a priest. There’s really not much more a priest can do other than how he holds himself and his guidance thorugh his homilies.
 
Yes, this “wishy-washy” watered-down faith that many Catholics (both ordained and otherwise) preach is very disheartening. It sends out the wrong message: “Well, if he is so “ify” about his faith he must not really care that much…so why should I?”

There are a few really good priests in my area, but there are also some of the…less than substantial type. It is important that priests preach the word, and preach it well. To be honest I’m pretty fed up with feel-good “just be a good person” types of homilies. People come to mass to be fed, don’t give them a salad…give them some meat.

It is also important that priests live up to what they preach, actions speak louder then words.
 
and my only real point was, talk to your priest and encourage him, he is human. Tell him that it is important to you. It is all our responsibility to minister to each other. We are a priestly people. I share your frustration from time to time but am also guilty as charged of not standing up and taking charge, holding firm etc…
 
Yes, this “wishy-washy” watered-down faith that many Catholics (both ordained and otherwise) preach is very disheartening. It sends out the wrong message: “Well, if he is so “ify” about his faith he must not really care that much…so why should I?”

There are a few really good priests in my area, but there are also some of the…less than substantial type. It is important that priests preach the word, and preach it well. To be honest I’m pretty fed up with feel-good “just be a good person” types of homilies. People come to mass to be fed, don’t give them a salad…give them some meat.

It is also important that priests live up to what they preach, actions speak louder then words.
i agree. the message at just about every homily of every week at our church boils down to God is love.
our priest REALLY downplays sin. and then complains that nobody shows up for confession on saturday. :rolleyes:
 
i agree. the message at just about every homily of every week at our church boils down to God is love.
our priest REALLY downplays sin. and then complains that nobody shows up for confession on saturday. :rolleyes:
“Sin”? What is this “sin” you speak of? Not once have I heard any priest talk of sin. I’ve heard a priest talk of compassion a thousand times, but never confession. What’s that? I know for sure that God is love. And peace. And love and peace. And love. And peace. And love. I’m not sure why, but as a man and as a Christian, unfortunate enough to have been born over 15 years after the “Summer of Love,” and not to have expanded my mind and learnt to think outside the box through the recreational use of psychedelics, this message seems to fail to appeal to me…😃

Wake up! The 60s are over!
 
I love my parish.
The priests are ALWAYS relevant.
This past Sunday, the priest included the necessity of frequent Confession and the abhorance of abortion in his homily. 🙂
 
i agree. the message at just about every homily of every week at our church boils down to God is love.
our priest REALLY downplays sin. and then complains that nobody shows up for confession on saturday. :rolleyes:
I’m reminded of a story once where a new Pastor gave a homily every week about Love. After several months, several parishioners came to him asking for some variety and he responded, “when I think we have mastered Love, I will move on.”

I was told this story when my Pastor gave a “mission” to our parish about Eucharistic Adoration. He spoke about how all the great saints who wrote about their personal devotion to the Eucharist talked about how important it was that they expressed their love of God during Adoration. But more important that they used this Hour to allow God to love them and experience this love intimately and intensely.

He then concluded that if we came to love God more we would find greater joy in doing His will, being His holy instruments and the hold of sin will be lessened. And, if we came to realize how much God loves us, we would realize how beautiful and special we are in His eyes. Realizing how much God loves us, we then become more loving and lovable to those around us.
 
Talking with all different people, Catholic or not, they all say that people would be more obedient to the Church, let alone, “any Church,” if the bishops and priests acted on their beliefs, ratehr than simply preaching. Many of my priest friends do this, but still, many do not. What are your opinions on this issue? Should the ordained always be forced to act?

Well, it worked well for St. Maximillian Kolbe, John Paul II, St. Ignatius, etc. . . .:rolleyes:
In this day and age, with the plethora of resources for educating oneself in the teachings of the church, one should not place on others the blame for ones’ own ignorance of the faith. Obedience is both a gift and a personal decision. As a well chatechized Catholic one can influence others to be more educated and obedient. Priests come from ordinary parrishes. It is up to everyone to make them extraordinary.
st julie
 
I think more people would be obedient to the church and drawn to the church if the priests would actually say something at Mass. I am so tired of one inane homily after another saying ‘God is love’, or ‘make Jesus the center of your life’, with no clear teaching for what this means.
I agree with the above post. Many priests are brilliantly trained and deliver interesting and helpful homilies. I often feel though that right when they bring the homily to the point at which a forceful point could be made on important issues (ie: sacraments, abortion, contraception – as opposed once again to forgiveness, social justice, prayer) that the priest pulls back and chooses not to “push the issue”.
My belief is that many well intentioned priests are attempting to “love” everyone into the church with a soft message rather than taking at least one or two occassions to really speak the hard truths that need to be heard for the sake of our salvation.
 
I agree with the above post. Many priests are brilliantly trained and deliver interesting and helpful homilies. I often feel though that right when they bring the homily to the point at which a forceful point could be made on important issues (ie: sacraments, abortion, contraception – as opposed once again to forgiveness, social justice, prayer) that the priest pulls back and chooses not to “push the issue”.
My belief is that many well intentioned priests are attempting to “love” everyone into the church with a soft message rather than taking at least one or two occassions to really speak the hard truths that need to be heard for the sake of our salvation.
Y’all might be interested in the thread I started last wk:
"Chittister video slated for retreat at my parish "
under the Evangelization forum.

Turned out okay, but I was so shocked when I saw Sr. Chittister would be speaking (by videotape)! Now I know there are some faithful-to-the-Magisterium allies. I already know some of the ones holding unorthodox views (women’s ordination, gay marriage, pro-abortion). I will have to put them on my prayer list. A couple are older and I suspect they got into this via the women’s rights movement in the '60’s.

Many people have left our parish bc the last priest was all too eager to play ‘loosey-goosey’ with the liturgy, allowed a non-ordained person to give the homily. When I found that that was not allowed, I began to notice other things. Listening to EWTN, Relevant Radio and reading CA forum and New Oxford Review has taught me a lot of what to watch out for, and Chittister rang a bell.

Please stop over to that thread and leave comments if you like.

Blessed Lent,
Mimi
 
I agree with the above post. Many priests are brilliantly trained and deliver interesting and helpful homilies. I often feel though that right when they bring the homily to the point at which a forceful point could be made on important issues (ie: sacraments, abortion, contraception – as opposed once again to forgiveness, social justice, prayer) that the priest pulls back and chooses not to “push the issue”.
My belief is that many well intentioned priests are attempting to “love” everyone into the church with a soft message rather than taking at least one or two occassions to really speak the hard truths that need to be heard for the sake of our salvation.
yes, well stated. nobody would disagree (i hope) that teaching God’s love and how to practice love is essential but sometimes the people need alittle fear of God.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top