S
Stella_Matutina
Guest
I’m currently looking for a job and there are several organizations in the area that are faith-based.
All require that employees sign a “Statement of Faith” that basically lists some basic tenants of Christian doctrine. Some of those though are written in such a way to exclude Catholics as they almost always include some sort of Sola Scriptura reference. I was told by one organization that I could make an amendment and add something about the Magisterium, and Tradition as referenced in 2 Thessalonians 2:15.
But I am really asking about a particular organization that identifies themselves as Baptist and prefers to hire Baptists. On their application is the following:
I have to be an “active member of a local New Testament Church.” What does that mean?
I also have to “Accept the Baptist Faith and Message statement.” I could be missing something obvious but the hot topics such as Baptism, the Lord’s Supper, the Church, salvation, and the Scriptures seem to be able to be read in such a way that does not conflict with Catholic doctrine. In other words, they don’t include exclusionary terms such as “only” or “solely.” For example, it says, “Christian Baptism is the immersion of a believer in water…” which is true. It fails to include, obviously that simply pouring water over the head of one being baptized is sufficient.
Another example: “The Lord’s Supper is a symbolic act of obedience whereby members of the church, through partaking of the bread and the fruit of the vine, memorialize the death of the Redeemer and anticipate His second coming.”
This is true. The missing piece of course is mention of the Real Presence in the Eucharist.
From reading this, (again, I could be overlooking something glaringly obvious) it seems like I can “accept” this Baptist Faith and Message statement. Even though there are missing pieces, the pieces that are stated are true. I have heard Protestantism described as the skeleton of the faith as in it has the basic foundation but is missing the meat and flesh of the Truth.
Can I in good conscience work for this organization?
Does anyone have any examples or suggestions of how Catholics can successfully work for Protestant organizations or just general tips/warnings to keep in mind?
All require that employees sign a “Statement of Faith” that basically lists some basic tenants of Christian doctrine. Some of those though are written in such a way to exclude Catholics as they almost always include some sort of Sola Scriptura reference. I was told by one organization that I could make an amendment and add something about the Magisterium, and Tradition as referenced in 2 Thessalonians 2:15.
But I am really asking about a particular organization that identifies themselves as Baptist and prefers to hire Baptists. On their application is the following:
I have to be an “active member of a local New Testament Church.” What does that mean?
I also have to “Accept the Baptist Faith and Message statement.” I could be missing something obvious but the hot topics such as Baptism, the Lord’s Supper, the Church, salvation, and the Scriptures seem to be able to be read in such a way that does not conflict with Catholic doctrine. In other words, they don’t include exclusionary terms such as “only” or “solely.” For example, it says, “Christian Baptism is the immersion of a believer in water…” which is true. It fails to include, obviously that simply pouring water over the head of one being baptized is sufficient.
Another example: “The Lord’s Supper is a symbolic act of obedience whereby members of the church, through partaking of the bread and the fruit of the vine, memorialize the death of the Redeemer and anticipate His second coming.”
This is true. The missing piece of course is mention of the Real Presence in the Eucharist.
From reading this, (again, I could be overlooking something glaringly obvious) it seems like I can “accept” this Baptist Faith and Message statement. Even though there are missing pieces, the pieces that are stated are true. I have heard Protestantism described as the skeleton of the faith as in it has the basic foundation but is missing the meat and flesh of the Truth.
Can I in good conscience work for this organization?
Does anyone have any examples or suggestions of how Catholics can successfully work for Protestant organizations or just general tips/warnings to keep in mind?