J
joshvanrad
Guest
*I hope this doesn’t get too long winded, but I also hope I am able to include all pertinent information in this thread. If anyone has any further questions into the developments of this situation I would encourage you to ask them and I will do my best to respond.
*
Just last week I received a text from my younger sister that she is pregnant. We haven’t been on speaking terms for roughly half a year, so I was a little disenchanted that this was the first news I have received from her in some time. When I asked my parents about what knowledge they had about the situation they told me that they had just found out the day before she had told me.
My sister is 20 years old and has been a rebellious spirit for the past few years. She has been manipulative and has done things that amount to “emotional terrorism” to get her way. I believe she deals with BPD, but it hasn’t been confirmed because she left town shortly before her psychiatric team was able to officially diagnose her with anything (they were looking closely into BPD before she had left). Since she left my parent’s house she moved in with a boy and has become pregnant.
The issue isn’t so much with my sister. I have already come to terms with her and her situation. I still love her and pray for the best for her, but I refuse to fall victim to her life and her attempts at manipulation. If she decides to change one day and wants to reconcile her mistakes I will be there to help. Until then I don’t want to be a part of her life and condone her lifestyle choices.
The issue is with my parents, more specifically, my mother. My parents have had issues with enabling my sister’s poor decisions for a while. They’ve tred to raise her to the best of their abilities but they have fallen to her manipulation on several accounts. My mother believes she is just doing the “nurturing and motherly” thing by doing all of these things, but she doesn’t see how she is just furthering my sister’s reckless choices. How do I tell my mother that she has to deny her motherly instincts- it’s like telling a mother, “you have to be loving, but you just can’t help them right now”. I’ve tried to illustrate to my parents that they don’t owe her anything other than prayer, and food and clothes if she is IN NEED.
We’ve had several discussions and my parents seem a little put-off by my stepping back from the situation.
Sorry if this is a mess of words and thoughts, I just spilled what I was thinking so I’m sure there is more information that I have missed.
What can I do? What should I do?
*
Just last week I received a text from my younger sister that she is pregnant. We haven’t been on speaking terms for roughly half a year, so I was a little disenchanted that this was the first news I have received from her in some time. When I asked my parents about what knowledge they had about the situation they told me that they had just found out the day before she had told me.
My sister is 20 years old and has been a rebellious spirit for the past few years. She has been manipulative and has done things that amount to “emotional terrorism” to get her way. I believe she deals with BPD, but it hasn’t been confirmed because she left town shortly before her psychiatric team was able to officially diagnose her with anything (they were looking closely into BPD before she had left). Since she left my parent’s house she moved in with a boy and has become pregnant.
The issue isn’t so much with my sister. I have already come to terms with her and her situation. I still love her and pray for the best for her, but I refuse to fall victim to her life and her attempts at manipulation. If she decides to change one day and wants to reconcile her mistakes I will be there to help. Until then I don’t want to be a part of her life and condone her lifestyle choices.
The issue is with my parents, more specifically, my mother. My parents have had issues with enabling my sister’s poor decisions for a while. They’ve tred to raise her to the best of their abilities but they have fallen to her manipulation on several accounts. My mother believes she is just doing the “nurturing and motherly” thing by doing all of these things, but she doesn’t see how she is just furthering my sister’s reckless choices. How do I tell my mother that she has to deny her motherly instincts- it’s like telling a mother, “you have to be loving, but you just can’t help them right now”. I’ve tried to illustrate to my parents that they don’t owe her anything other than prayer, and food and clothes if she is IN NEED.
We’ve had several discussions and my parents seem a little put-off by my stepping back from the situation.
Sorry if this is a mess of words and thoughts, I just spilled what I was thinking so I’m sure there is more information that I have missed.
What can I do? What should I do?