CBD Oil moral question

• Thread starter Thread starter SPONP4US
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SPONP4US

CBD or cannabis oil has been legal in my country for some time now, for its therapeutic effects. Of course there is no psychoactive effects such as using Marijuana e.t.c would induce.

I have various chronic health conditions,and have suffered insomnia for most of my adult life. I’m feeling that it may help but I am concerned of using and the moral consequences of I do. I have previously in the past been a recreational drug user, and have been free for some years since returning (reconverting) to Catholic faith and the Church , and I am actually quite anti drug these days because I know how bad and totally a waste of time they are especially cannabis (imo) … I fell no temptation to release and use cannabis again, and I could happily go around all the schools telling kids what a waste of life smoking up can be and tell them first hand why it is. I know it (Marijuana ) is legally prescribed in some states of U.S.A but personally I am not in agreement with this personally.

However the hemp oil capsules or CBD Oil just have the medicinal elements in them which do seem to have had positive results in clinical trials and no effect on the mind or anything else. Since my current conditions are not treatable with standard medicine I’m wondering is it sinful to try these legal Oils for therapeutic medicinal reasons?

Last edited:
If it’s legal and it actually helps your condition, then why not? As a former recreational drug user it doesn’t sound like addiction was ever an issue for you so I don’t see any real risk, assuming it’s safe? I’m guessing it is while it’s legal.

If your motives aren’t sinful, there’s no legal issue, and no former addiction, I don’t see any moral issue. I guess that depends on who you ask though, as I found out in a debate this morning 😉

Dentists and oral surgeons use cocaine to shrink and deaden various mucous membranes to assist in their procedures. Prescription pain killers often make one “high” even as they relieve the pain.

In 2015 I developed fever and tremors after a stem cell transplant. I was given IV demerol. I was floating on the ceiling in la la land, but the tremors stopped.

Shortly after that, I had zero appetite and great difficulty eating. I was given a short course of Marinol (you know what that is). It jump-started my appetite and I needed it only a few days.

The above are all drugs which produce intoxication or a narcotic effect - but that is not their primary effect, or the reason for their use. The CBD oil does none of that, but only treats an underlying condition.

Maybe read and reflect on Sirach, Chapter 38.

To my knowledge, CBD oil is silly expensive considering how easy it is to make. There’s no moral problem with using it if the intention is to heal the body or alleviate symptoms and the risks are very low.

I am firmly convinced that cannabis is a medicinal herb given to us by a good God, Genesis 1:29 “And God said: Behold I have given you every herb bearing seed upon the earth, and all trees that have in themselves seed of their own kind, to be your meat” (DRV).

It is for medicine, and for use as a fiber, similar to cotton or flax. It is not to be smoked recreationally to get a “high” or a “buzz”. Whether it can be used for depression or anxiety, I would say it should be approached as one would approach a prescription drug — to be recommended by a physician or other healer.

I don’t support illicit or purely recreational usage, but I wouldn’t want anyone to recoil from it in neo-Manichaean horror as “evil dope”, if it’s needed for a medical condition. I think the states that have legalized medical marijuana are doing the right thing. If it’s needed as a prescription medicine, even if it does have a mildly narcotic side effect, so be it. The side effect is only tolerated and not directly willed. The non-narcotic CBD extracts sold nowadays are utterly unproblematical — my only reservation would be “are they too weak to be effective?”.

From my experience, the only efficacious CBD extracts are the really high end ones that still contain traces of THC. For that reason, I don’t consume it. I worked in product development and my company was trying to create a CBD product. You need a high percent of CBD to be effective. Most companies formulate with just enough to be able to callout the ingredient. I had to research and found that most of what’s on the market is useless. The high quality stuff is not 100% THC free and is expensive to produce. I was once a pothead and can tell those oils were getting me high. Of course, I felt relaxed but turn to self care for that now. That said, if I had a medical problem that it could treat I would go for it in a minute.

Last edited:
This. What is available in most of the us is simply a placebo.

CBS oil has no intoxicating effect at all. It’s like taking a tylenol. I used it for some of the things you mentioned (insomnia, anxiety, ) it is also a good anti inflammatory, good for cronice aches and pains, headaches etc.

It’s not sinful, because no intoxicating effects or known side effects., you can talk to a preist for reassurance.

As you see, opinions are all over the map. It’s not all that expensive. Buy it and try it. Doesn’t work? Try something else.

Over the past 12 years, I have received 20 anti-neoplastic drugs. Each had about a 30% chance of efficacy. Yet, they were still tried. I’ll admit the stakes were higher, but the principle was the same.

40.png
HomeschoolDad:
It is not to be smoked recreationally
Speak for yourself. If you are an adult and it’s legal it can be used in moderation. If you want to abstain great.
I do not want to fall into the trap, as so many Americans do, that “anything legal is moral”. I do not think you are doing that, but many do. “Legal is moral” drives the moral theology, if it can be called that, of many a liberal Protestant or solely cultural Christian.

I do not think that a single use, or even occasional casual use, of recreational marijuana is the worst sin a person can commit, far from it. I’d much rather see someone smoke a joint, than to commit sins of sacrilege, uncharity, injustice, or sins against sexuality or marriage. To treat nausea, chronic pain, even depression or anxiety, wonderful. I’d want to see it prescribed by a doctor, but if one lives in a jurisdiction where this isn’t possible, or cannot afford medications such as Marinol, well, then, a choice would have to be made.

I offer these two articles as food for thought. To answer any objections to using the SSPX as a source, I reply that Pope Francis has granted them faculties to hear confessions, and the Church does not grant faculties to priests whose counsel she does not trust. SSPX priests tend to be excellent confessors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back