CBS Cameraman Arrested

• Thread starter Thread starter gilliam
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
What soldiers have to deal with on a day-to-day basis!! As if their job isn’t tough enough!! :banghead:

This finally made the AP news. CBS isn’t saying a whole lot about it. Apparently he is a free-lance local and is now in US custody.

40.png
geezerbob:
This finally made the AP news. CBS isn’t saying a whole lot about it. Apparently he is a free-lance local and is now in US custody.
CBS called him a CBS cameraman when he was shot. Now that he is arrested and we know him for what he is, they are calling him a free-lance local.

Sometimes I think CBS can pedal faster backwards than forward.

Robin Burk has some observations:

All of the major news outlets need to be taking a deep and critical look at the way in which they have been using locals to report news in Iraq. Whether it be hiring the translators that used to be paid by Saddam (and still may be linked to the Ba’athists) or the ‘freelancers’ that reported for CNN and other outlets from within Fallujah and elsewhere, if the networks are going to pay these people and take their reports at face value, then they are also morally and ethically aligned with them.

It is a standard terrorist tactic to videotape attacks (in fact, the VC used to film them.) The reasons are:
  1. Battle Damage Assessment (BDA) – the videotape allows them to determine the effectiveness of the attack, the techniques and devices used.
  2. Propaganda – we have seen again and again videos of “successful” terrorist attacks being released to pro-terrorist media.
  3. Gathering intelligence on security force reactions and tactics.
Who accompanies terrorists with a camera is a terrorist. Pure and simple.

Speaking of Iraq, I read an article yesterday (AP I think) about an NCO and an officer in the North Dakota National Guard trying to raise funds to get an Iraqi family here. When I went back to link it, it was gone. Anyway, the guard unit had an informant who had been very helpful to them, even after the GI’s had suggested he lay low for a while. The insurgents drug him and his 11 year old son out of the house and forced the boy to watch while they murdered his father. The rest of the family is in danger and the guardsman had promised the man that if anything happened to him, they would take care of his family. If anyone wants to donate, you can do it through Catholic Charities of North Dakota. Be sure to earmark the donation. I sent a small amount and hope it will help get them here.

40.png
geezerbob:
Speaking of Iraq, I read an article yesterday (AP I think) about an NCO and an officer in the North Dakota National Guard trying to raise funds to get an Iraqi family here. When I went back to link it, it was gone. Anyway, the guard unit had an informant who had been very helpful to them, even after the GI’s had suggested he lay low for a while. The insurgents drug him and his 11 year old son out of the house and forced the boy to watch while they murdered his father. The rest of the family is in danger and the guardsman had promised the man that if anything happened to him, they would take care of his family. If anyone wants to donate, you can do it through Catholic Charities of North Dakota. Be sure to earmark the donation. I sent a small amount and hope it will help get them here.
Here is a link to a story about it.

I have been wondering for some time how the media got footage of guys wearing masks and waving AK47’s and loaded grenade launchers and why none of our guys were there to take them out. It certainly appears that the MSM or their workers are in bed with the insurgents. Comforting thought for the grunts on the ground.

“They can’t whip our militaries. What they can do is get on your TV screens and stand in front of your TV cameras and cut somebody’s head off, in order to try to cause us to cringe and retreat. That is their strongest weapon…”

– President George Bush

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back