? CCC

  • Thread starter Thread starter Andra
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andra

Guest
My sister-in-law is a very devout Baptist and when I told her this week that I am returning to the Catholic church I got a 2 page email asking questions about why do we do this and why do we do that… etc… She said she asked my brother these questions (he use to be a Catholic and is now a Baptist) but he tells her that “she doesn’t need to know”

I must admit that I have been away from the church for a very long time and some of the answers to her questions I knew and some I did not so I pointed her in the direction of www.catholicscomehome.org - a fellow poster on the forums gave me that link earlier this week and it has been such a value to me…

she wrote back that she went there and it answered her questions and then made the remark - it’s just like I have always heard you Catholics add things to the bible (CCC)…:confused:

I know this to mean The Catechism of the Catholic Church but isn’t the CCC based on the teaching in the Bible? I’m probably not phrasing the question right but it was disturbing to me when I read her response… 🤷 and I’ve received such wonderful advice from this forum that I thought I would throw it out there…

thanks so much for reading this - I knew I went half way around the world to get to the question…
 
The Catechism is not added to the Bible. We don’t treat it like is the Bible. You’ll not see someone stand up during Mass, walk up to the lectionary and say “The First Reading, a reading from the Catechism of the Catholic Church…”.

The Catechism is the manual of Catholic beliefs explained so that we can understand the teachings of the Church. It isn’t authoritative as Scripture, but is authoritative as Magisterium (the authority of the Magisterium is noted in Scripture).

I hope this helps,

-Prophecy
 
Andra,

Welcome home! The CCC is perhaps the most scripturally soaked book that exists outside of the Bible itself. If you page through it, there are references at the bottom of most of the pages. These references point to specific scriptures, teachings of church fathers, papal documents, or documents of church councils.

One intent of the CCC is to explain what the church believes and why it believes it to be so. In doing so, it looks at the whole teachings of Christianity, from scripture to early church fathers to Vatican II and beyond. Another way to look at it is that the CCC helps to make us understand the Bible. The Bible itself says that understanding it is difficult. We all need guidance on that. In non-Catholic churches, the minister often will give his or her interpretation, but that is not always in-line with historical teachings of that faith. In the Catholic church we are blessed with a Magisterium that guides the faithful so we will not stray from the truth.

BTW, of all the references, only scripture cannot be changed. The claims of other documents may be changed as God reveals Himself and His will to us.

Peace,
Jeff
 
My sister-in-law is a very devout Baptist and when I told her this week that I am returning to the Catholic church I got a 2 page email asking questions about why do we do this and why do we do that… etc… She said she asked my brother these questions (he use to be a Catholic and is now a Baptist) but he tells her that “she doesn’t need to know”

I must admit that I have been away from the church for a very long time and some of the answers to her questions I knew and some I did not so I pointed her in the direction of www.catholicscomehome.org - a fellow poster on the forums gave me that link earlier this week and it has been such a value to me…

she wrote back that she went there and it answered her questions and then made the remark - it’s just like I have always heard you Catholics add things to the bible (CCC)…:confused:

I know this to mean The Catechism of the Catholic Church but isn’t the CCC based on the teaching in the Bible? I’m probably not phrasing the question right but it was disturbing to me when I read her response… 🤷 and I’ve received such wonderful advice from this forum that I thought I would throw it out there…

thanks so much for reading this - I knew I went half way around the world to get to the question…
In adition to Prophesy, I would like to point out the Catholic Church did NOT add books to the Bible. Jesus himself used the 6 books we have. If they were inspired by Jesus’ standard, why not the Protestant? Its because Luther took the 6 books OUT becuase they did not support what he believed. All the Protestants followed Luther’s bible afterwards.

Get a response from telling her that.
 
Andra,

Welcome!

Sounds like a great chance to witness to your Baptist sister-in-law & to learn the Catholic Faith!

You should post her questions here so informed Catholics can help you answer her with detailed Scriptural & historical references.

Catholic Answers has many wonderful resources to answer most of these age old questions on their Home page under Library; catholic.com/library.asp

You can search the CCC here; scborromeo.org/ccc.htm

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark
 
Welcome home, Andra!

The issue your SIL has is known as Sola Scriptura. This is a Protestant doctrine introduced in the 15th century. Since she only has her Protestant upbringing to draw on, she doesn’t know any different.

Ask her where the Bible says it is the sole revelation of God (it doesn’t). There are some articles right here on Catholic Answers that can help you in answering her:

A Quick Ten-Step Refutation of Sola Scriptura

WHY THE BEREANS REJECTED SOLA SCRIPTURA

Scripture and Tradition
 
In adition to Prophesy, I would like to point out the Catholic Church did NOT add books to the Bible. Jesus himself used the 6 books we have. If they were inspired by Jesus’ standard, why not the Protestant? Its because Luther took the 6 books OUT becuase they did not support what he believed. All the Protestants followed Luther’s bible afterwards.

Get a response from telling her that.
Not just the Deuterocanonicals (which Protestants call “Apocrypha”), but Jewish Tradition, as well. Matthew 2:23 quotes “He shall be called a Nazarene” as the prophesy that Jesus fulfilled when the Holy Family moved to Nazareth. This prophesy is not in Jewish Scripture at all. Rather, it came from Jewish Tradition.

(I learned this from a brief walk-through of the Gospel of Matthew. The priest who gave the talk had to go to a Nazarene church to find out.)
 
Wow - I appreciate everyone’s effort and the time it took to respond…

I know in the days to come as I continue to study and pray and grow stronger in the Catholic faith that I will be able to answer these questions but for now it is sooooo comforting to know I can come here and ask and get clear answers… thank you so very much not only for your answers but for the warm welcome - I truly fell like I am home now… 👍
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top