CCD book recomendation?

  • Thread starter Thread starter irom
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

irom

Guest
I teach confirmation class, use Benziger which I don’t like. This is too much about psychology and feelings. Instead I use catechism, scripture, catholic encyclopedia etc. Please recommend a one good CCD book. I have to teach them basic stuff. Most of my class confuse Christ with Santa Claus and are stunned hearing that Eucharist is not a symbol ( including altar servers…) :confused:
 
what age are the students?

for those being prepared for Confirmation in 8th grade, the 7th & 8th grade texts from Ignatius Press, Faith and Life, are excellent, and you invest in the textbook only once, purchasing individual student workbooks each year. The Finding God series 7th & 8th from Loyola are a good runner up.

I assume you mean you are teaching CCD to students who are also preparing for confirmation. Loyola has a companion Confirmation text for direct prep for the sacrament, don’t know if Ignatius has something similar.

We confirm in High school and use the Intro to Catholocism from midwest theological forum also available through Ignatius, taught in CCD over 9th-10 grades, and use the Loyola confirmation Prep which can be taught in 8-12 sessions.
 
Also, you should contact your diocesan office for religious education and get their list of approved textbooks from them as your starting point.
 
The approved text that my parish uses is the harcourt Religous press’ Call to Faith, which (at least for 6th grade) is a decent book

they, at least in my view, oversimplify ideas in my view.

Though as a side note
When we were instructing the rosary( i am the aide in the classroom) a few of our students, including an alter boy, could not even remember the Hail Mary

it may be a lack of effort on their parts, or the formation in the grades below(I went through the CCD program myself, but started at(ironically) 6th grade as a result of my switching parishes so i dont know) or a lack of prayer life at home.

EDIT: This is a side note, but i still help teach myself in faith by using the Baltimore Catechism, which i find to be organized very well, in a simple question and answer format
 
I just use the crummy textbooks provided for CCD, but supplement it with the Baltimore Catechism as I want my students to be Catholic and have a chance of Salvation.
We have enough Cafeteria Catholics.

I find Loyola Press to be good for subtly destroying the faith, all the while acting faithful.

God Bless
Scylla
 
I
I find Loyola Press to be good for subtly destroying the faith, all the while acting faithful.

God Bless
Scylla
can you give some examples, as this has not been our experience
 
Sure, there is a full series from Loyola Press that is used in my diocese, several of these books source Father O Brien of Notre Dame.
These are called Catholic Basics, this is used in teaching the faith to our adults.
One such book is the one on Church History which denies that the Church Jesus founded is the Catholic Church,
Another I believe is the book on Ecclesiology, which uses the wrong interpretation of Vatican II of the identity of the Church as the vehicle for salvation.
There are several other problems with the texts, yet those are two examples that come directly from memory.
If you like I can reread some of the books and point out the 3-5 basic errors that seems to pop up in each book all the while acting like they are faithful to Catholicism. I would encourage a study of Modernism beforehand to help see the errors clearly and why they are so damaging to the faith.

In Christ
Scylla
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top