Celebrate Recovery

  • Thread starter Thread starter maryvictoria
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

maryvictoria

Guest
I am a parent of 3 children all teens. They have all been raised in a Catholic environment including Catholic school. My son Will, age 19, though very faith filled as a younger child has drifted away from church. He has also despite our best efforts gotten involved in using drugs and has no interest in his Catholic faith. Although he is at least drug free right now, he still does not seemingly have any real faith connection. Almost a year ago Will found his way to Celebrate Recovery, a 12 step based program that originated at Rick Warren’s Saddleback church, which is held at one of our local Baptist Churches in town. Distinguishing it from AA or NA this program embraces Jesus as the higher power that can free those suffering from their hurts, habits and hang-ups. Also each 12 step is corresponded with a biblical passage. This is a well structured ministry. I have started attending this with my son as they have a group which supports mothers of addicted children. I think this is a great program but I feel like a fish out of water because of my Catholic faith. When I walk in the sanctuary I feel to urge to genuflect but of course do not because this is what as a Catholic feels natural. No one in my small group knows that I am Catholic since I’m fairly new but this is not something I’m hiding as I usually have my Miraculous medal around my neck. I am really seeking a faith based support for dealing with my prodigal and also want so much for my son to pursue a faith connection even if it is different from my own because I truly believe that faith the most important aspect of his growth and healing. Any thoughts? 🤷
 
I can relate so well to you my dear sister in Christ!
Our two older sons have been away from the Faith for many years-leaving when they attended the public high school. They too became addicted to alcohol and drugs, but are now living at home and working with Amish builders. I have been praying for years that they would have conversions, and now pray that even if they become Amish-that’s still better then having no faith at all. Our other 7 children will not be attending public school, in fact 4 are already homeschooling. We pray the Rosary every night for Dominic and Francis to be converted, and for vocations in our family. If you and your son find the evangelical program for recovery effective-GO FOR IT! Eventually Our Lady will lead all of those who love and worship Her Son back to the Church He founded-I trust in that wholeheartedly.
God Bless you!
 
I am a parent of 3 children all teens. They have all been raised in a Catholic environment including Catholic school. My son Will, age 19, though very faith filled as a younger child has drifted away from church. He has also despite our best efforts gotten involved in using drugs and has no interest in his Catholic faith. Although he is at least drug free right now, he still does not seemingly have any real faith connection. Almost a year ago Will found his way to Celebrate Recovery, a 12 step based program that originated at Rick Warren’s Saddleback church, which is held at one of our local Baptist Churches in town. Distinguishing it from AA or NA this program embraces Jesus as the higher power that can free those suffering from their hurts, habits and hang-ups. Also each 12 step is corresponded with a biblical passage. This is a well structured ministry. I have started attending this with my son as they have a group which supports mothers of addicted children. I think this is a great program but I feel like a fish out of water because of my Catholic faith. When I walk in the sanctuary I feel to urge to genuflect but of course do not because this is what as a Catholic feels natural. No one in my small group knows that I am Catholic since I’m fairly new but this is not something I’m hiding as I usually have my Miraculous medal around my neck. I am really seeking a faith based support for dealing with my prodigal and also want so much for my son to pursue a faith connection even if it is different from my own because I truly believe that faith the most important aspect of his growth and healing. Any thoughts? 🤷
 
Dear Mary,
I am a very active catholic in recovery. I have started a Celebrate Recovery program at Immaculate Conception Catholic Church in Sacramento, California. I was surprised to find that I was not the first to start a CR in a catholic church as there is also one I noticed in Boise, Idaho. The priests in our parish as well as our deacon strongly support our CR program. It is a wonderful Christ-centered program and we hope that it will spread to other parishes. You can find our CR group listed at: www.immaculateconceptionsacramento.org and in the main CR website at:www.celebraterecovery.com. May God bless both you and your son as you find the healing through our one and only true higher power Jesus.
Sincerely In Christ,
Alan Owings
 
Clearly the CR program is a very good basis and ideally applicable to a Catholic church as well. Where I live in Middle GA of course Baptists dominate. We have 2 Catholic parishes within our county but probably 20 Baptist. Very different from where I came from in Central Florida. I’m in the process of trying to start a Ministry of Mothers Sharing which I was active in Florida and since I myself do not identify myself as addicted per se rather just a mom who loves and has trouble with depression and setting boundaries where I don’t feel affected by my childrens’ mistakes. Ideally there would be a Catholic ministry but here is a small area as compared to Sacramento and with the already established and vibrate CR this would probably be beyond our parish’s ability to initiate.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top