Celiac Disease

  • Thread starter Thread starter dancny
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dancny

Guest
I heard something on Patrick Coffin’s show last week and finally got around to posting a thought on it.

In my parish there is a woman who has Celiac Disease. Father has some low gluten hosts and keeps a pyx with the other hosts. In that pyx he has the low gluten host. Father and our other priest know her and she only goes to the priest for communion. When she comes up they know which to give her.

The priest on the show with Mr. Coffin also said that if you can’t have any Gluten you can just take the precious blood.
 
I heard something on Patrick Coffin’s show last week and finally got around to posting a thought on it.

In my parish there is a woman who has Celiac Disease. Father has some low gluten hosts and keeps a pyx with the other hosts. In that pyx he has the low gluten host. Father and our other priest know her and she only goes to the priest for communion. When she comes up they know which to give her.

The priest on the show with Mr. Coffin also said that if you can’t have any Gluten you can just take the precious blood.
OK, did you have a question or something?

Here’s the Guidelines for the US.

usccb.org/liturgy/innews/1103.shtml
 
I heard something on Patrick Coffin’s show last week and finally got around to posting a thought on it.

In my parish there is a woman who has Celiac Disease. Father has some low gluten hosts and keeps a pyx with the other hosts. In that pyx he has the low gluten host. Father and our other priest know her and she only goes to the priest for communion. When she comes up they know which to give her.

The priest on the show with Mr. Coffin also said that if you can’t have any Gluten you can just take the precious blood.
OK, did you have a question or something?

Here’s the Guidelines for the US.

usccb.org/liturgy/innews/1103.shtml
 
I heard something on Patrick Coffin’s show last week and finally got around to posting a thought on it.

In my parish there is a woman who has Celiac Disease. Father has some low gluten hosts and keeps a pyx with the other hosts. In that pyx he has the low gluten host. Father and our other priest know her and she only goes to the priest for communion. When she comes up they know which to give her.

The priest on the show with Mr. Coffin also said that if you can’t have any Gluten you can just take the precious blood.
Yes. In order to be truly bread, the hosts must have at least some gluten, so only low-gluten hosts can be used, as opposed to gluten-free. Those who can’t tolerate any gluten at all can still receive only the Precious Blood.
 
That is correct. I don’t take either as I am very sensitive. even taking the precious blood from the chalice that others used is no good. (Contamination, and I keep forgetting to ask for some to be put aside.) I suppose if Christ were born in China we’d all be using rice…
 
That is correct. I don’t take either as I am very sensitive. even taking the precious blood from the chalice that others used is no good. (Contamination, and I keep forgetting to ask for some to be put aside.)
I have it. Celiac Disease is a autoimmune disorder in which the immune system malfunctions when wheat, rye, oats and barley are ingested, causing serious injury to the digestive system. It leads to malnutrition and many medical issues. The trigger is the protein in these grains, called gluten. The only treatment is a life long adherence to a strict gluten free diet. There is no established “safe” amount of gluten that a Celiac can be exposed to, it’s highly controversial among experts. Gluten is measured in parts per million. Even ingestion of the smallest trace amounts are hazardous to Celiacs. A Celiac should not drink from a chalice which is shared with non-Celiacs. To give you an example of cross contamination, if I order rice from a gluten free menu at a restaurant, and the chef stirs my rice with the same utensil that has been used to stir a pot of regular gluten containing pasta, then by eating the rice, I will suffer an injury to my digestive system and become acutely ill. If a food handler handles bread and then touches vegetables that will go into my salad, I will be ill. After diagnosis, I had to discard and replace kitchen appliances, tools, and utensils, esp those made of plastic, wood or having non-stick surfaces. Dishes on which gluten containing food are served should not be washed in the same dishwasher as dishes used for gluten free food. If my gluten free diet is compromised, I would be putting myself at risk for complications like cancer, neurological damage, malnutrition, dental problems, bone fracture, and various autoimmune/rheumatic diseases. Celiac Disease is most serious in children who can suffer from stunted growth, learning and behavior problems. Experts state that the presence of symptoms are not a reliable indication of whether the digestive system is being damaged or not. In the many Celiacs who do experience symptoms, the suffering can be described as being as similar to having food poisoning. There are a lot of misconceptions about Celiac Disease among healthcare providers, and even specialists. It is common to have false negatives in Celiac blood tests and intestinal biopsy, since most professionals are not trained to look for subtle abnormalities that indicate Celiac Disease. Celiac Disease should always be suspected when a person has ongoing, unexplained nutritional deficiencies. The most reliable information, diagnosis, and follow-up care is available from a Celiac Treatment Center at a major University.

While the kind sisters mean well in going to these lengths, in good conscience, I would not accept the low gluten host, or even receive Our Lord’s Precious Blood from a Chalice that had been been exposed to gluten.

This has caused a major Faith crisis for me. It is absolutely devastating. But it is my cross to bear that I cannot receive our Lord in this way. I’m sure God is blessing me in many other ways, but I will always grieve it.
 
Forgot to mention that many alcoholic beverages, including some wines and their additives, contain gluten. The manufacturer should be contacted and questioned about the risk of cross contamination during processing and whether or not products are tested for the presence of gluten. I’ve heard that fermentation casks are sometimes sealed with gluten containing products.
 
While the kind sisters mean well in going to these lengths, in good conscience, I would not accept the low gluten host, or even receive Our Lord’s Precious Blood from a Chalice that had been been exposed to gluten.

This has caused a major Faith crisis for me. It is absolutely devastating. But it is my cross to bear that I cannot receive our Lord in this way. I’m sure God is blessing me in many other ways, but I will always grieve it.
All I can say is keep up the faith. I can’t imagine what it must be like to not receive the body of the Lord. It’s makes me sad just thinking about it :bighanky:

If I could make a suggestion though. If you cannot even receive the precious blood after others have, talk to your priest and ask him if he could consecrate a separate chalice for you. If you explain the situation to him I’m sure he’ll understand.
 
There is a 0.01% gluten host now, which has been deemed “safe enough for consumption by almost all celiac suffers” according to medical experts. Source.

My sister takes the 0.01% host, and her pastors have all been very careful not to contaminate it. 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top