Celibacy among priests

• Thread starter Thread starter teresawill
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

teresawill

What should happen to a priest that is caught living apart from his vows, more specifically the vow of celibacy?

for (name removed by moderator): A few thoughts of mine:
  1. Those two questions, which are on the same subject matter are not identical: One deals with the responsibility of one’s knowledge about [possible] sins of another - a priest; the other question deals with the just consequences of such [possible] sins for the sinner.
  2. Why would you want to know the reasons for posting these two questions?
  3. The reason I am wondering about your wonderings, is that your post sounds more like a criticism than a simple question, and if you did mean to criticize the poster, such a motive on your part seems to me to be unjust. Please forgive me if your question is simply a question having no implied criticism on your part.
  4. If I’ve not misjudged the intended tone and purpose of your question, and you did mean to criticize, please explain why - what are your motives?
    5.And what are MY motives for this post of mine? I HOPE that priestly misconduct - if and when it is actual - is not a forbidden subject here. Granted there are many due considerations - but - covering up misconduct does not end well.

Last edited:
What should happen to a priest that is caught living apart from his vows, more specifically the vow of celibacy?
Not to be pedantic, but diocesan priests do not take a “vow” of celibacy, they make a promise to their bishop. Religious priests (Jesuits, Dominicans, Franciscans, et al) take vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience. Jesuits take an additional vow of personal loyalty to the Holy Father.

If it is a heterosexual relationship with an adult woman, I would say the first thing would be for the priest to be ordered to cease and desist, and to break all contact with her. If he will not do that, the next step, I would think, would be to transfer him to another city (but many dioceses are geographically small), or to place him in a ministry where he has no contact with eligible women (prison chaplain, visitor to nursing homes, etc.) — keeping in mind, though, that it might not be a problem with women in general, just this particular woman.

If — God forbid! — it were an adult homosexual relationship, I would guess that the protocol would be much the same, mutatis mutandis. And if it were with a minor, there would be serious legal considerations over and above the obvious pastoral ones.

Last edited:
If it is a heterosexual relationship with an adult woman, I would say the first thing would be for the priest to be ordered to cease and desist, and to break all contact with her. If he will not do that, the next step, I would think, would be to transfer him to another city (but many dioceses are geographically small), or to place him in a ministry where he has no contact with eligible women (prison chaplain, visitor to nursing homes, etc.) — keeping in mind, though, that it might not be a problem with women in general, just this particular woman.

If — God forbid! — it were an adult homosexual relationship, I would guess that the protocol would be much the same, mutatis mutandis . And if it were with a minor, there would be serious legal considerations over and above the obvious pastoral ones.
Personally, I’m not sure it would matter or I would care if it was a heterosexual or homosexual affair, provided it was an adult and everything was consensual. The next steps would be the same regardless; the priest should end It immediately, confess it, and never do it again. Basically the same as any other sin. In the case of an affair, maybe the priest would need to be transferred elsewhere so he didn’t keep running into the person he was fooling around with.

Reactions: Nik
or to place him in a ministry where he has no contact with eligible women (prison chaplain, visitor to nursing homes, etc.)
Of course, there are also women in prison. Relationships between staff and inmates do occur. It’s not difficult to see how a chaplain and an inmate could become intimate. The chaplain is often the most sympathetic person a prisoner meets. Add to that the legitimate need for privacy and you have a perfect scenario for something to go wrong. And there are also all kinds of nursing homes, they’re not only for elderly people.

Personally, I’m not sure it would matter or I would care if it was a heterosexual or homosexual affair, provided it was an adult and everything was consensual.
Well, I would care, and it does matter. Homosexual acts are an abomination (contra naturam) and one of the four sins that cry to heaven for vengeance. Normal heterosexual relations are not an abomination, and they are in accord with nature — still mortally sinful, but not as bad as homosex. One could say that adultery (i.e., if the woman is married) is an abomination, perhaps, but at least it is not contrary to nature.
Of course, there are also women in prison. Relationships between staff and inmates do occur. It’s not difficult to see how a chaplain and an inmate could become intimate. The chaplain is often the most sympathetic person a prisoner meets. Add to that the legitimate need for privacy and you have a perfect scenario for something to go wrong. And there are also all kinds of nursing homes, they’re not only for elderly people.
I was referring to harm and risk mitigation, not total elimination of opportunity. That would require sending the priest to the strictest of monasteries, or into an eremitic state of life. If it’s a women’s prison (or if the priest were gay and it were a men’s prison), certainly opportunity could present itself. And people in nursing homes, of all ages, can and do have intimate relationships. Being attracted to a much older woman is not unheard of.
Last I heard, the Church had all authority to administer discipline in such cases.
That, she certainly does.

Well, I would care, and it does matter. Homosexual acts are an abomination ( contra naturam ) and one of the four sins that cry to heaven for vengeance. Normal heterosexual relations are not an abomination, and they are in accord with nature — still mortally sinful, but not as bad as homosex. One could say that adultery (i.e., if the woman is married) is an abomination, perhaps, but at least it is not contrary to nature.
All of that is for the priest to work out with his confessor. It doesn’t matter as far as the practical step that should be taken: confession with firm purpose of amendment, and possibly finding the priest a new assignment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back