Celibacy/marriage

  • Thread starter Thread starter wantingpeace
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wantingpeace

Guest
If i cannot medically have children, does that mean I should never get married? (I am over 40) does that also mean I have to stay celibate the rest of my life?
 
There is no Church law that would prevent you from getting married so long as penetration is possible and all of the other validity requirements are satisfied. You must only be open to the possibility of children, however miraculous that might be (think Sarah and Abraham :)).

So, can you get married? The answer (on the information you’ve given) is yes.* Should you get married?* That’s completely up to you and God. Have you prayed about it? Do you think that you are called to marriage? If you are called to marriage and you do get married, then, no, you don’t have to remain celibate, just chaste. If you decide that you aren’t called to marriage and do not get married then, yes, you are called to live a celibate life, as the marital union is only permitted within marriage.

Hope this helps. God bless, friend. 🙂
 
If i cannot medically have children, does that mean I should never get married? (I am over 40) does that also mean I have to stay celibate the rest of my life?
If by “cannot have children” you mean you are infertile/sterile, that is not an impediment to marriage in the Catholic Church.

If by “cannot have children” you mean you are permanently and completely impotent (even with medical aid), that is an impediment to valid marriage.
 
For my part, I’m not aware of any Church law that would discourage or disallow marriage for the infertile, as with God even the impotent and infertile can conceive, if He truly wills it.

What matters is remaining open to the possibility of pregnancy and children.
 
If i cannot medically have children, does that mean I should never get married? (I am over 40) does that also mean I have to stay celibate the rest of my life?
Infertility (sterility)is not an impediment for marriage but impotence is.
 
If i cannot medically have children, does that mean I should never get married? (I am over 40) does that also mean I have to stay celibate the rest of my life?
If you never marry, you should stay celibate. Well, OK…
Priests don’t marry another person, but they have many children (spiritually, at least). BTW, they are married to the Church. So similar situation.

When you marry, you promise that you will accept children if God wishes to provide them. They may not necessarily come though the birth canal. This does not, however, obligate one to adopt, but to live in a manner such that guiding children to God is part of their life.

Now how might that work? Follow Me Boys is a movie about such a scenario. There are many such scenarios in this world. One could be yours.

Now some might wonder how to understand all of this. My suggestion is that you pick up West’s “Theology of the Body for Beginners” and read up on how all these various concepts are tied together in our Catholic faith.
 
Why couldn’t you get married?

If you couldn’t be intimate (which would be a grave punishment-many catholics don’t seem to understand how important intiamcy is in a marriage) you could at least have a marriage where you two live “as brother and sister”.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top