Chapel Veils -- what do you think?

• Thread starter Thread starter Mamamull
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mamamull

I have started wearing a chapel veil while I adore the Blessed Sacrament and at Mass on Sunday.

I know that it isn’t exactly a humble gesture since I stand out in the crowd of our large suburban parish. I try to not make an issue of it, but I know that I am perhaps the only woman in the entire congregation wearing one – 1K people at any given Sunday Mass. Still, I think it is a worthy practice to wear one show my respect for the Blessed Sacrament of the Altar. Something so wonderful and entirely beyond what this sinful woman deserves and yet… Jesus deigns to come to us. So, I wear a veil to be more humble for Him and not my for my own glory or to appear holier.

My husband gave me a veil as a Christmas present, which I know was because we both hold the Eucharist in great esteem. I have made a black one for Lent. It is black chiffon with a lace edge.

So anyone else who wears a veil – or wishes for the courage to wear one? What is your take on this practice?

40.png
Mamamull:
I have started wearing a chapel veil while I adore the Blessed Sacrament and at Mass on Sunday.

I know that it isn’t exactly a humble gesture since I stand out in the crowd of our large suburban parish. I try to not make an issue of it, but I know that I am perhaps the only woman in the entire congregation wearing one – 1K people at any given Sunday Mass. Still, I think it is a worthy practice to wear one show my respect for the Blessed Sacrament of the Altar. Something so wonderful and entirely beyond what this sinful woman deserves and yet… Jesus deigns to come to us. So, I wear a veil to be more humble for Him and not my for my own glory or to appear holier.

My husband gave me a veil as a Christmas present, which I know was because we both hold the Eucharist in great esteem. I have made a black one for Lent. It is black chiffon with a lace edge.

So anyone else who wears a veil – or wishes for the courage to wear one? What is your take on this practice?
I’m a man, but I go to the Tridentine indult and pretty much every woman and girl wears one. I think it adds a sense of reverence to the whole Mass. Plus, I’m not gonna lie, I think it’s very pretty :love:

Veils rock!:dancing: I’m also in the position of being the only one who wears a veil at my church. I felt a little self-conscious at first but no one has ever said anything negative to me about it. I actually got a complement once. Honestly I think women worry too much about what other people will think when they see them wearing a veil…chances are no one will really care. And if they do have a problem…hey it’s my head, buzz off!:tiphat:

I also go to a large parish and there is one woman who wears a veil every week. I think she is very brave. Wish I could say the same for myself. I don’t even know where you could get a mantila any more. I use to have a beautiful black lace one that I wore in the '70’s, but I don’t know what happened to it. Wonder if I still had it if I’d wear it??!! I think it is a beautiful gesture of respect and not a fashion statement. Hope you keep the tradition going. 🙂

Humility is in the heart. Just because you stand out in the crowd does not mean your heart is not humble in what you are doing. Sometimes God asks us to “stand out in the crowd” to take a stand for Him. Here in the US we are not often asked to give up our life for Him. But sometimes, He does ask us to risk embarrassment and ridicule.

Who knows, you may be doing this for someone you will never meet, but will come to understand and know Christ in the Eucharist through your devotion. “I once saw a women with a veil, at first I thought it was just stupid (old fashioned, pick an adjective!) but it started me thinking…”

God Bless,
Maria

And just for the record, I think it is a wonderful faith statements as well as a fashion one!

I don’t wear a Chapel Veil but I have been thinking about it for a while and have decided to buy one. Someone on a thread here at CA suggested modestyveils.com. I went to it and they have a few to choose from. There are a few women at my Church who wear a veil so I wouldn’t be the ONLY one. We have a Tridentine Mass at our Church that I have been wanting to attend and I would imagine that most if not all the women who attend wear a veil. I don’t know why I’m hesitant about it, maybe because I am a Convert and didn’t grow up wearing one as a youth? I’m just going to do it!

Thank you and God bless you, too-- every last one of you for posting. :blessyou:

I know that humility is an interior attitude, but the standing out is a societal contradiction – of course much of being a good Catholic is a contradiction of society.

I have heard complimentary statements. Once I heard a husband say, “Well, then why don’t you start wearing yours, too?” They are a lovely devout couple who sit near us. She is an extraordinary minister of the Eucharist --or whatever the title is. He is a most reverent and active participant in the Eucharistic prayers.

Sometimes, I am not the most feminine of women – but it is funny that now that I wear a veil, both my boys want to snuggle with me during mass. They are five and six half years old. I am sure part of it is the “instant” sibling rivalry from bringing the five year old into our family three months ago, but the older one really has been daddy’s boy and I love it that he wants to snuggle with me. He takes interest in my veils and tries to not pull on them.

My husband bought a veil at a Catholic book shop here in town. I made a black one from chiffon for Lent for a fraction of the cost. Walmart had lace for about eight dollars a yard – it had to be at least 45 inches wide, too. I would have bought it if I hadn’t gotten the chiffon earlier. One yard can easily make two or more veils.

Thanks for bolstering my confidence. I truly appreciate it.

I love it that I see this post here!!

I belonged to a very conservative Protestant church where all women wore veils (shorter and thinner than I’ve seen on either EWTN or in historical pictures of Catholic women) and I am a firm believer in them because it is Scriptural that a woman’s head be covered in prayer.

I too don’t want to “stand out” - but if it’s a personal conviction and Scriptural, then there should be no problem, right? I’m barely over thirty and wondered if it would be “weird” since I don’t know the church pre-Vatican II. And while I’m still working up the courage to go to Mass sometime soon, I believe I would like to have a veil. There was something about putting it on when I entered church that just gave me pause - this is to glorify and praise God.

So - yes - WEAR one if you’re inclined, convicted, called or drawn - share your bravery with us!

=)
Fiz

It was me who asked when to put it on – being a convert, my mom isn’t any help with this.

I usually put it on in the car on the way to church. Sometimes, I put it on in the foyer – usually in a side room.

I have discerned that perhaps I am giving more women courage to wear a veil. I have always thought that God made me so that other people would feel more normal 😉 Seriously, I do have a major sense of humor and can’t hardly walk into a room – silently – without getting attention. My husband says my personality preceeds me.

Thanks, and I am glad to hear that Protestants want to wear veils, too. The young woman at the fabric store seemed pleased when I told her what my project was and I presume she wasn’t Catholic.

Welcome to CA, Fizendell

Greetings

Being a 68 year old, pre-Vatican II woman, I spent many years wearing a head covering. Usually, I wore a hat. That of course was the thing back when I first became Catholic. Veils came in some time later. I had what we called "chapel caps. They were a circle of lace about 8 inches in diameter.

I doubt if I will go back to the practice, having seen all the abuses that were common back then.

I would like to make one suggestion, however. Make sure your head covering, veil if it be that, is freshly washed and ironed. Please don’t just stuff it in your purse, waiting for the next time you go to Mass.

One of the abuses, Priests use to always comment about was the obsession women had with covering their head before entering Church, resorting to pinning wrinkled Kleenex on top of their heads. I saw this far too often, or hankies with stains of lipstick and very wrinkled. I also saw women tying sweaters and other items of clothing on their heads.

I know their hearts were crying out to serve their Lord the best way they knew how.

Just a little early planning would have made this a much nicer practice.

You also might want to search out the beginnings of this practice.

Wow, I admire your courage, and wish I had as much. I think the chapel veil is a lovely thing. No one in my large suburban parish wears one on Sunday, but there are a few at weekday Masses. I have a chapel veil, and I wear it at home during my prayer time. I wish I was as brave as you. You go, girl! :clapping:

40.png
Mary3:
Wow, I admire your courage, and wish I had as much. I think the chapel veil is a lovely thing. No one in my large suburban parish wears one on Sunday, but there are a few at weekday Masses. I have a chapel veil, and I wear it at home during my prayer time. I wish I was as brave as you. You go, girl! :clapping:
It really doesn’t take much to get yourself going. Once you get over your own worries about what others will think, it’s pretty easy.

Now if I only had the guts to wear something like THIS:

THAT takes courage! :eek:

Jade,
You are right, it would take a special person to wear such a veil anywhere – not just to church. Maybe in other cultures it wouldn’t seem so strange.

Roberta,
I can’t say that either of my veils has gotten wrinkled or nasty looking.

Of course, I wouldn’t want to wear something that seem to lessen my reverence for the Lord.

It hasn’t taken much effort to just fold them nicely and keep them in a special pocket. I don’t know what women did to make theirs all wrinkled, etc.

I will try to not be irreverent by my use of the veil.

1. WHere I live there are quite a few head coverings.
  2. They are called Matilla or La Mantilla, most are black, some have white edges.
  3. Since I was a kid, years ago, I have liked to see them because of the RESPECT they show.
  4. If you feel like you want to show respect, then wear one. The other people will ni be there to speak for you when you die. Dont worry about other people.

I don’t mean to crash your thread, but until I joined CA I never even heard or seen a head covering! Then last week I saw a visitor during Mass have one for the first time (mind you this is 5 years, 6 dioceses later - military families move a lot! ). So, I’m a little behind on this topic.

What is the purpose of having a headcovering? Is it related to some teaching somewhere? Is it a tradition of the Jewish temples? Honestly, I don’t know! Anyone give me some background information?

Requirement of Headcoverings for Women Never Abrogated?
Question from Anon. on 03-18-2001:
St. Joseph’s: I recently heard two priests discussing their lament that Paul VI never actually abrogated the canonical requirement for headcoverings for women. While irreverence and immodesty go hand in hand with the New Order Worship Service, is it true that the demise of the chapel veil is but a de facto development, and not the result of actual canonical abrogation? In other words, is the belief that Paul VI legitimately recended the requirement of headcoverings for women just another self-fulfilling prophecy promulgated my the universally liberal Catholic media?

Answer by Saint Joseph Foundation on 03-20-2001: I do not have much documentation on the subject but perhaps the following will be of some use to you. The requirement and custom for women to wear a veil or head covering in church apparently came from St. Paul’s admonition in 1 Cor 11: 3-16 which was maintained in the ensuing centuries. In the last century the 1917 Code of Canon Law continued the custom with canon 1262 which stated that women should cover their heads and dress modestly. In 1983 Pope John Paul II promulgated a new Code of Canon Law. The previous head covering requirement, which was a disciplinary type of law, was not included in the revised Code. Today the Code does not require nor does it forbid the practice of wearing a head covering for women in church.

ewtn.com/vexperts/showresult.asp?RecNum=361248&Forums=0&Experts=0&Days=3000&Author=&Keyword=Chapel+Veil&pgnu=1&groupnum=0

Head Coverings in Church

Canon Law

The 1917 Code of Canon Law. canon 1262, stated,
  1. It is desirable that, consistent with ancient discipline, women be separated from men in church.
  2. Men, in a church or outside a church, while they are assisting at sacred rites, shall be bear-headed, unless the approved mores of the people or peculiar circumstances of things determine otherwise; women, however, shall have a covered head and be modestly dressed, especially when they approach the table of the Lord.
When the 1983 Code of Canon Law was promulgated this canon was not re-issued; indeed, canon 6 abrogated it, along with every other canon of the 1917 Code not intentionally incorporated into the new legislation. Thus, there is no longer any canonical obligation for women to wear a head-covering, much less the more specific veil.

Please read article in its entirety by clicking on link

http://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/head_coverings_in_church.htm

Moral Law

Many wonder, however, if given St. Paul’s instructions in 1 Cor. 11 there is not a moral obligation to do so despite the revision of canon law. First of all, if that were true it would be a matter of faith and morals and the Church would not have abrogated this canon. Secondly, that it is not true is clear from the language of the canon, which conforms to the moral theology tradition of the church in matters of dress. Dress is a matter of custom. What is modest and becoming in one culture may not be in another. Modesty goes beyond the domain of sexuality. As St. Thomas Aquinas explains it concerns 4 things,

First, “the movement of the mind towards some excellence, and this is moderated by “humility.” The second is the desire of things pertaining to knowledge, and this is moderated by “studiousness” which is opposed to curiosity. The third regards bodily movements and actions, which require to be done becomingly and honestly, whether we act seriously or in play. The fourth regards outward show, for instance in dress and the like” ST II-II q160, a2].

Dress, external behavior, mannerisms, etc. are signs of the person, and becomes so in the cultural context in which the person lives, and in which it indicates something to others. The Christian conforms to the culture in such matters, unless sin is intrinsically involved (dress intended, or which will have the general effect, to arouse the opposite sex). Modesty is humility in dress and mannerisms, an outward sign of the disposition of the inner man. By not standing out the Christian assumes a humble posture toward his neighbors.

Thus, whether men and women sit on opposite sides of the church, men wear a skull-cap, and women a veil, as the Jews of St. Paul’s day did, is ultimately a matter of modesty, and thus of custom. As the “approved mores of the people” change, the Church, desiring to be “all things to all men” (except in sin), the custom changes. Only the Magisterium is competent to determine where custom leaves off and divine law begins. We are always safe in following the Church, rather than our own judgment, for even if the Church makes a prudential error, it is “bound in heaven” (Mt. 16:13-18).

Liturgical and Marital Theology

One might also ask, isn’t the wearing of a head-covering the expression of theological subordination to God, and natural subordination of wives to their husbands? This is certainly true. All human beings are subordinate (ordered under and to) God by both grace and nature. Also, in the natural order the right ordering of the family requires the headship of the husband. Why would the Church drop such a useful sign? I can think of three reasons.
%between%

First, as explained above, signs are cultural. When the culture no longer sees the significance the sign loses its meaning, except to those who have retained the understanding of it. Certainly, the practice of an important sign can re-introduce it into a culture, whether of the Church or society as a whole. And, some signs the Church never changes, can’t change, such as the sacramental signs. In the Orient rice is not used instead of wheat in the Eucharist, for example, even though rice is the main staple there. Thus, there is an argument in favor of maintaining this sign as conveying a truth about supernatural and natural hierarchy. However, why not maintain *all *the distinctions of men and women mentioned in canon 1262?

The answer to that question is my second reason - these external signs would be an obstacle for many people of our time to accepting the truth. A sign can become a counter-witness, by conveying a meaning which in current circumstances would generally be read in a way which misrepresents Church teaching. While the truths intended by these signs remain valid, properly understood and in union with other truths, they would have the net effect of conveying only a partial truth about women and men. In the contemporary world, in which the equality of men and women as persons is emphasized, this is a legitimate concern. As St. Paul teaches us in 1 Cor. 8, we must not use our Christian freedom to hinder souls. Since there is no intrinsic moral obligation to these practices, they can be set aside, as the Church has done.

This brings me to my third reason, which may explains why these signs could lead to only a partial understanding of Church teaching in our day. The dropping of this obligation, I suspect, comes from a deliberate desire to promote the values of the liturgical renewal and the theological and anthropological personalism of the Second Vatican Council. The liturgical renewal sought to give to the laity their rightful place as “royal priests,” sacramental signs of their membership in the Body of Christ through baptism - the ministerial priest being the sacramental sign of Christ the Head. By the active participation of the laity a liturgical, as opposed to a purely personal, piety is fostered, in which the Mystical Christ, Head and members, publicly worship the Father as one. This serves as a sign to the world of Christ’s salvific work and continuing presence in the world, both in the Eucharist and in the Church. Within that liturgical, sacramental perspective, the distinction between male in female does not apply, since in baptism “there is no longer male or female” (Gal. 3:28). The distinction to be emphasized in the liturgy is not the distinction between men and women, husbands and wives, but the distinction between the Head and the members of Christ’s Body, that is, the supernatural ordering of the Mystical Body which comes about through Holy Orders and Baptism. In a similar way, in all areas of the Church’s life not requiring Holy Orders, men and women today participate equally as baptized persons. The sole exception is installation in ministry, what used to be called minor orders (lector and acolyte), which being closely associated to Major Orders is also reserved to men.

In the area of marital theology we have seen a similar theological development. For centuries it was the theological and canonical practice to emphasize the distinctions of nature in societies (civil, family, Church), rather than the equal personal dignity of human individuals. From Dietrich von Hildebrand in the 1920s, through Pope Pius XI and XII, Vatican II, Paul VI and John Paul II we have seen an increasing emphasis on the personalist and supernatural dimension of realities over their natural dimension. This conforms to St. Thomas Aquinas’ insight that a person is greater than a nature. This emphasis does not destroy the natures of things, such as the proper vocation of laity (of either sex) versus clergy (all male), of husband versus wife, or of man versus woman. Instead, within the bounds determined by the nature (male, female, marriage, clergy, laity etc.) it emphasizes the moral dictum that “persons are never the object of use, but only of love”.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back