Chapel Veils -- what do you think?

• Thread starter Thread starter Mamamull
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I am not saying this article is the final authority on the subject, but it did answer a lot of questions for me. I have cut and pasted a few passages that I thought were important to this disucssion. Feel free to e-mail me privately for the entire article. I thought it was too long to post here. This is from Fr. Fox in the July 2004 edition of Immaculate Heart Messenger.

Many Blessings!

Susan

“When and why did the Church change the teaching that a woman should wear a head covering while attending Church services? Answer: The Church has never changed its teaching. There is nothing by the Magisterium stating that the wearing of the veil has been abolished. On April 3, 1969 when Pope Paul VI promulgated the new Roman Missal reporters gathered at the Vatican and quizzed those who were announcing the new missal. One reporter asked,“ Does the new Missal say anything about women we a ring head coverings in Church ? ” The answer given was simply, “No.” Other reporters picked up the response and interpreted it that women no longer needed to wear any head covering in

Church . That was a conclusion not even implied in the “ No” answer The Missal had never ever been the place where women were told to wear head coverings . Why should the new Roman Missal so state what concerned the rubrics for the priest celebrating Mass ?
The Church has never changed its teaching concerning women wearing the veil . The nearest anyone could come to this claim is that it was not mentioned in the new Code of Canon Law published in 1983. Those who are familiar with Canon Law know that it did not, in any way, say the women should not wear a veil .

Please read the documents to find it. It is not there! And since they, like

most Catholics , depended on the clergy to educate , they were badly misdirected .

In the new Code of Canon Law, Can . 2 1, we read: In doubt ,the revocation of a previous law is not presumed; rather, later laws are to be related to earlier ones, as far as possible ,harmonized with them . Dear readers,if the law concerning the veil had been revoked , which it was not, you would still have to harmonize with the later, which

was to wear the veil . Then from Can . 2 7, we read: Custom is the best interpreter of law. The veil has two thousand years of being a custom to its credit . (The Rosary does not come close to that. Yet who would try

to discourage people from praying the Rosary?

There is no canonical or moral obligation for women to wear a head-covering in Church, women are certainly free to do so as a matter of personal devotion. Those who wear a covering or veil, and those who don’t, should not judge the motives of the other, but leave each woman free in a matter that is clearly not of obligation.

We should never judge another woman for her lack of or desire to wear a veil. 👋 I certainly don’t.

It is a personal aberration and devotion on my part.

I pray that I don’t get too many jokes made about me when folks are in the parking lot and the privacy of their cars. Even so, I will accept it as humbly as I can.

I just do prefer to wear one. Could be that I just can’t ever blend in as one of the flock. Really radical, eh? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back