Charismatic Catholics?

• Thread starter Thread starter Montie_Claunch
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I am a Charismatic Catholic. After becoming a Pentecostal in 2003, then going through RCIA in 2004 and this year reverting as a Catholic, the Charismatic Renewal helped me spiritually to get back into the church.

While I love the fact that we do need a Renewal in the church, the abuses are there as much as the liturgical ones in our NO masses.

In simple terms, a Charismatic Catholic is simply a Catholic who also believes in the external charismata and that they are able to be made manifest today.

Praise the Lord!! Praise His Holy Name!!

40.png
Dark_Cloud47:
I am a charismatic myself, a member of one of the covenant communities here in the Philippines. In our community, we emphasize the gifts of the Spirit, but more than seeking the gift, we seek to live out the ideals of Christ by working with our less-fortunate brethren. We have a program called GAWAD KALINGA (literally means “to give care” in Filipino), where we give them shelter, livelihood and education. meaning, we don’t just give dole- outs, we help to give them back their dignity as human beings. The charisma of our community lies at the heart of its vision and mission statements:

Vision: Families in the Holy Spirit, Renewing the Face of the Earth

Mission: Bring glad tidings to the poor (Isaiah 61:1)

Just a glimpse into the life of our community called COUPLES FOR CHRIST. 😃
Couples for Christ in over 130 countries around the world and in every state in the US.

In fact, CFC is recognized by the Vatican as a private international association of the faithful in accordance to canons 298-311 and 321-329 of the Code of Canon Law.

But back to your question, YES the Church fully supports the Charismatic ministries.

Catechism of the Catholic Church said:
**768 **So that she can fulfill her mission, the Holy Spirit “bestows upon [the Church]
varied hierarchic and charismatic gifts, and in this way directs her.” “Henceforward the Church, endowed with the gifts of her founder and faithfully observing his precepts of charity, humility and self-denial, receives the mission of proclaiming and establishing among all peoples the Kingdom of Christ and of God, and she is on earth the seed and the beginning of that kingdom.”

40.png
Pentecost2005:
A charismatic Carmelite? :confused:
I don’t know if JPII was a Carmelite Charismatic but the two are by no means exclusive. My parish is a Charismatic Parish and we have a very vibrant, active 3rd order Carmelite Chapter, of which my charismatic priest is the head.
I also went to a university known for being charismatic and several of the girls who were known for being very charismatic entered Carmel immediately following graduation.
Also, my husband is charismatic and a great lover of Carmelite spirituality - he wrote his doctoral dissertation on John of the Cross, his Master’s Thesis on Teresa of Avila and Therese.
So, in my experience and knowledge the two are not opposed, but rather the one very often leads to the other.

40.png
Lorrie:
My thoughts exactly. Growing up in an Assembly of God church I was exposed to all of the “speaking in tongues” the dancing, the weeping (as loud as you possibly can by the way), etc. The bad thing is that it draws attention to oneself, at least that’s what I’ve experienced. I can’t help but cringe when I hear the term “speaking in tongues”. Just wigs me out, sorry.
We don’t speak in tongues. We PRAY in tongues. 😉 Crying is healing. Hey, we can’t control the Holy Spirit, if HE wants us to cry like there is no tomorrow, you cant stop it. 😃 TEARS ARE VERY HEALING!

PRAISE THE LORD! ALL HONOR AND GLORY TO HIS MOTHER MARY, THE FIRST CHARISMATIC!

Claire B from ME

Anthony’s Mom,

<<Also, my husband is charismatic and a great lover of Carmelite spirituality - he wrote his doctoral dissertation on John of the Cross, his Master’s Thesis on Teresa of Avila and Therese.
So, in my experience and knowledge the two are not opposed, but rather the one very often leads to the other.>>

Yes, in fact all spiritual movements in the Church are supposed to lead us to a deeper life of prayer, and ultimately union with God.

I cannot judge others’ spiritual experiences. But I can for a fact attest to this: a prominent ‘Life in the Spirit’ member in our parish said, “the Holy Spirit is so strong in my life right now that I don’t feel the need to go to Mass.”
After Mass one Sunday a ‘Life in the Spirit’ spokesperson invited the congregation to a “deeper spiritual life” by attending their Friday night seminars. I immediately thought to myself, “we’ve just finished communion, the source and pinnacle of the faith, and he’s suggesting we’re not experiencing the full Holy Spirit until we’ve experienced the Spirit just like himself?!” Our ‘Life in the Spirit’ people at our parish make out their experience to be like some “eighth sacrament.”
Yes, I’ve been ‘slain in the Spirit’ and have had my share of supernatural experiences (as I believe any Christian has); but many–not all–charismatics seem to hunger for these charisms to an unhealthy degree.
Another observation: charismatics will often pray with different denominations–nothing wrong with that; but they can be led astray if they don’t know their Catholic theology. For example, I know of one lady in our parish who lovingly accepted a book to read from a charismatic protestant. The book had much truth–and much error (i.e. don’t pray to angels)–that had purportedly come from the Lord. She accepted it blindly; because the touchstone for truth for her was this powerful, moving, emotional, supernatural experience; not what it should be–the Church’s teachings.
Which brings me to another beef I have with charismatics: How come the ‘in tongues’ speaking Pentecostals down the street are claiming that the one true Church is the Whore of Babylon? Those ‘tongues’ don’t come from the one Holy Spirit.
The above reasons are why I do not join the ‘Life in the Spirit’ group in our parish and view all charismatics with suspicion.
But I’ve been wrong many times before-- 🙂 Peace in Christ

40.png
scriabin:
I cannot judge others’ spiritual experiences. But I can for a fact attest to this: a prominent ‘Life in the Spirit’ member in our parish said, “the Holy Spirit is so strong in my life right now that I don’t feel the need to go to Mass.”
After Mass one Sunday a ‘Life in the Spirit’ spokesperson invited the congregation to a “deeper spiritual life” by attending their Friday night seminars. I immediately thought to myself, “we’ve just finished communion, the source and pinnacle of the faith, and he’s suggesting we’re not experiencing the full Holy Spirit until we’ve experienced the Spirit just like himself?!” Our ‘Life in the Spirit’ people at our parish make out their experience to be like some “eighth sacrament.”
Yes, I’ve been ‘slain in the Spirit’ and have had my share of supernatural experiences (as I believe any Christian has); but many–not all–charismatics seem to hunger for these charisms to an unhealthy degree.
Another observation: charismatics will often pray with different denominations–nothing wrong with that; but they can be led astray if they don’t know their Catholic theology. For example, I know of one lady in our parish who lovingly accepted a book to read from a charismatic protestant. The book had much truth–and much error (i.e. don’t pray to angels)–that had purportedly come from the Lord. She accepted it blindly; because the touchstone for truth for her was this powerful, moving, emotional, supernatural experience; not what it should be–the Church’s teachings.
Which brings me to another beef I have with charismatics: How come the ‘in tongues’ speaking Pentecostals down the street are claiming that the one true Church is the Whore of Babylon? Those ‘tongues’ don’t come from the one Holy Spirit.
The above reasons are why I do not join the ‘Life in the Spirit’ group in our parish and view all charismatics with suspicion.
But I’ve been wrong many times before-- 🙂 Peace in Christ
I understand and sympathize with your concern, because the above problems can happen when there is not sufficient spiritual direction and maturity in the life of those who are supposed to be leading others in the charismatic renewal.

Thankfully, my experience has been that the Life in the Spirit Seminars and Charismatic Conferences I have attended have been focused on the Eucharist, and obedient to the Magisterium of the Church. Those who have been involved with it are now practicing a deeper prayer life and expose themselves much more to Scripture, and all the aspects of their Catholic faith.

Hopefully, those who have been exposed to bad experiences in the renewal don’t write it all off as dangerous and misleading.

scriabin…i understand what you are saying…many charismatics feel they have a direct pipeline to God - apart from the Church, and although they can ‘appear’ outwardly very catholic, much of their thinking is protestant. Often they seems more interested in ‘emotional EXPERIENCES’ rather than doing God’s will for them in this life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back