Charismatic Mass

  • Thread starter Thread starter tsering
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tsering

Guest
I’m interested in finding out what a Charismatic Catholic Mass looks like. Besides trying to find one and attend it someday, can anyone describe one to me? My experience from the Charismatic churches I used to attend is one of complete spontaneity, long worship times (singing contemporary songs), prophesying, praying over people for healing, laying on of hands, etc. My favorite, were the ones where people constantly shouted “amen!”, “hallelujah!”, “glory to God!”, “mmhumm” and "preach it!"s while the pastor was preaching his homily.

I’m having a hard time reconciled this with my current experience of Mass - especially the spontaneous “preach it!” and "glory to God"s during the homily. :ehh:

Peace.
 
A Catholic charismatic Mass is not so much like our Protestant brother’s services. It is a typical Mass with more vocal praise and worship. The songs may be extended if the Spirit moves the musicians to carry-on. You most likely see quite a few people raising their hands in worship and even a few speaking in tongues. It really varies community to community. I have been to charismatic Masses where the priest chanted the Eucharistic prayer and the congregation sung/chanted the Agnus Dei in Latin, so they can have very traditional aspects too.
 
The “prophesying” and “praying in tongues” that occur during a protestant charismatic service should not be taking place within the Mass, that would be an abuse.

The laying on of hands and the prayers for healing may occur at the end of the Mass before the closing prayer.

A true Catholic Healing Mass has the Annointing of the Sick in that place at the end of the Mass but it also could be placed before the Liturgy of the Eucharist starts.

There really is no such thing as a “Charismatic Mass”. There is only the Mass with the GIRM as the rubrics for it.
 
I was raised charismatic.

I’ll take the Tridentine Mass any day over any of this stuff.

Ugh.
 
Prophesy and “speaking in tongues” really have no place in the Mass, nor does shouting during the priest’s homily square with sense of reverence that we should be having during the holy Mass. Also, there should not be laying on of hands or similar things added to the Mass, unless it is followed by the prayer of ordination. 😃
 
I’m not sure if it is strictly Charismatic, but I have heard that at Franciscan University in Steubenville students are given authority to pray over people – allegedly with healing power, speak in tongues and do those sorts of things. I am very leery of this
 
I find it tremendously sad, that pentecostalism has infected so many Roman Catholic parishes. Anyone on the Roman side, should look at what this phenomenon has done in the Reformation churches, and give pause. There was a time when the high Reformation churches kept the enthusiasts as bay (officially condemned in our Lutheran Confessions,) but they are taking over now with a tyranny charismatic fervor.

Right now, in the Lutheran communions where antinomianism is the plague, we have people guided and endorsed into mortal sin. On the other hand, the “conservative” Lutheran communions are becoming so infested with charismatic pentecostalism, that the loss of the holiness of the Mass and even our Sacramental theology is imminent.

Anywhere personal subjectivism and emotionalism become the focus of the Mass, the Holy Eucharist and Creedal theology will eventually be despised.

I advise all to learn from the fall and suffering of their brethren-- this is not a path you want to tread.
I was raised charismatic.

I’ll take the Tridentine Mass any day over any of this stuff.

Ugh.
 
I’m not sure if it is strictly Charismatic, but I have heard that at Franciscan University in Steubenville students are given authority to pray over people – allegedly with healing power, speak in tongues and do those sorts of things. I am very leery of this
I attended FUS - though it was many years ago I do return regularly. What you describe here sounds more like a Festival of Praise which is in no way to be confused with the Mass. From what I have seen, Masses that have charismatic tendencies (ByzCath is very correct) follow the GRIM and at no time does the priest instruct the congregation to do or act in anyway. I have trouble seeing how people proclaiming God’s greatness or praising Him during a song would be an abuse.
 
I attended FUS - though it was many years ago I do return regularly. What you describe here sounds more like a **Festival of Praise **which is in no way to be confused with the Mass.
Thanks for the clarification. Can I ask what your experiences were with the Festival of Praise?
 
Thanks for the clarification. Can I ask what your experiences were with the Festival of Praise?
They have changed quite a bit in the years since i finished my undergrad 22 years ago (wow, I’m old). Back then they were (from my perspective) small gatherings with singers and a guitars in the chapel. Readings were read and talks/testimonials were given. The Friars were there but were not leading it. The first time I attended was after a Life in the Spirit Seminar. It was a wonderful experience. I remember a lot of praising, some speaking in tongues and people being slain in the Spirit. Since then they have grown quire a bit. But better than trying to explain it I can show you this video.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top