Charities and co-operation with evil

  • Thread starter Thread starter SaintJude
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SaintJude

Guest
Hello

Cancer research uk state: “…does not fund any research that uses human embryos or foetal tissue. However, we are funding a very small number of research projects that use human embryonic stem cell lines grown in the lab.”

I run a competition I have a friend who has asked me to donate his winnings to those charity. Do I sin in so doing?
 
Did you,
  1. knowingly and willingly
    consent to something which you knew or believed to be a sin,
  2. or did you happen to find out afterwards
If the second, no, you didn’t sin.

It wasn’t reasonable to expect that cancer research was simply honest cancer research
 
Last edited:
If the competition has not concluded, perhaps you could go to your friend and explain your concerns and ask them to choose a different charity?
(Edited to add - assuming the competiton is over, I would not be donating his winnings on his behalf to these charities. At the time of agreeing to this, if you were not aware of that statement you did not sin at that time, when you agreed to his wishes. In good conscience I personally could not and would not co-operate by donating either my money or someone else’s even if asked to do so.)

Whilst I assume you are in the UK, here is a document from the US Catholic Support for Ethically Acceptable Stem Cell Research

Whilst this article is from Australia, Use of Embryonic Stem Cells: Unethical and Unnecessary
 
Last edited:
This thread piqued my curiosity. Are Catholics that have cancer sinning when they accept treatments derived from research involving stem cells?
 
Your friend is the one directing where his winnings go. He would be the one who is “sinning”.
 
Your friend is the one directing where his winnings go. He would be the one who is “sinning”.
Whilst that is true, we are not to co-operate in the sins of others, for if we do, then we incur the same guilt.
#1868 “by not disclosing or not hindering them when we have an obligation to do so”. Being the OP friend, IMO I’d say out of friendship is born the obligation. (Whilst this would apply to those who are in authority above e.g. parents, priests etc.)
 
Hello,

To conclude I managed to get him to donate to another charity. I appreciate your words of wisdom

Deo Gratias
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top