Charity equals love?

  • Thread starter Thread starter CuriousM
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CuriousM

Guest
I have a question for you guys.

I was reading the Catechism this morning (keeping a promise)
and came across a quotation from 1Corinthians regarding love.
However, the word Charity was there instead of the word love.

So, I double checked it in the NAB and found that it indeed has the word love.
This is how I remember it.

Now, the note on it at the bottom has this before the scripture Cf. So, that might mean something or might not.

I was wondering if this has something to do with original texts and translation and also well, why?
 
I have a question for you guys.

I was reading the Catechism this morning (keeping a promise)
and came across a quotation from 1Corinthians regarding love.
However, the word Charity was there instead of the word love.

So, I double checked it in the NAB and found that it indeed has the word love.
This is how I remember it.

Now, the note on it at the bottom has this before the scripture Cf. So, that might mean something or might not.

I was wondering if this has something to do with original texts and translation and also well, why?
Charity and Love are the same thing, essentially. Our modern usage of the word charity refers to some sort of organization to give moeny to, or more generally a good act. This comes from the fact that love, in the Catholic sense, is action. Love is an action done in favor of another, or a disposition towards that actions.

Short answer is the words mean the same thing.
 
I have a question for you guys.

I was reading the Catechism this morning (keeping a promise)
and came across a quotation from 1Corinthians regarding love.
However, the word Charity was there instead of the word love.

So, I double checked it in the NAB and found that it indeed has the word love.
This is how I remember it.

Now, the note on it at the bottom has this before the scripture Cf. So, that might mean something or might not.

I was wondering if this has something to do with original texts and translation and also well, why?
In greek the word is “Agape”

agape ag-ah’-pay
love, i.e. affection or benevolence; specially (plural) a love-feast – (feast of) charity(-ably), dear, love.

It also means self sacrifice. Agape is prominent in scripture as opposed to filia and eros, two other words for love. Agape was a very seldom used word in the ancient world, the new testament abounds with it.

Christs new command is “Agapate alleilou”

Jn 15:12: "This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.
13: Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Anyway, if you go through the NT you’ll find many different shades of it, however they all stem from benevolence and charity. Christs death was a gift of benevolence and charity towards us for example.

Peace and God Bless
Nicene
 
Here is a very illustrative difference in the way english interprets love, and the way Christ means love.

The blue indicates Christs question: “Do you love me”, the red is Peters response.

21:15 ote oun êristêsan legei tô simôni petrô o iêsous simôn iôna agapas me pleion toutôn legei autô nai kurie su oidas oti philô se legei autô boske ta arnia mou
16 legei autô palin deuteron simôn iôna agapas me legei autô nai kurie su oidas oti philô se legei autô poimaine ta probata mou
17 legei autô to triton simôn iôna phileis me elupêthê o petros oti eipen autô to triton phileis me kai eipen autô kurie ts su panta oidas su ginôskeis oti philô se legei autô o iêsous boske ta probata mou
18 amên amên legô soi ote ês neôteros ezônnues seauton kai periepateis opou êtheles otan de gêrasês ekteneis tas cheiras sou kai allos se zôsei kai oisei opou ou theleis
19 outo de eipen sêmainôn poiô thanatô doxasei ton theon kai touto eipôn legei autô akolouthei moi


Notice especially the third time Jesus asks Peter if he loves him, he doesn’t say agape, but philia. Peter has good reason to be grieved. Then notice how the text immediately trasitions to a prophesy about Peters death.

And here it is in the english translation:

*15: When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Feed my lambs.”
16: A second time he said to him, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Tend my sheep.”
17: He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Peter was grieved because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” And he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep.
18: Truly, truly, I say to you, when you were young, you girded yourself and walked where you would; but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will gird you and carry you where you do not wish to go.”
19: (This he said to show by what death he was to glorify God.) And after this he said to him, “Follow me.” *

Christ is telling Peter that he will learn to Agape, and Peter does give up his life hung upside down on a cross a little over thirty years later. As an interesting side note, the second time Jesus asks Peter if he loves him, he uses the word poimaine instead of boske. Poimaine means:

poimaino poy-mah’-ee-no
to tend as a shepherd of (figuratively, superviser) – feed (cattle), rule.

Anyway, I think the above is one of the best illustrations in the bible of what benevolent, self sacrifical, charitable love is (as opposed to modern love, which is watered down and wishy washy IMHO) because Jesus contrasts it with friendship love. Agape is works love.

Hope that helps a bit.

Peace and God Bless
Nicene
 
Wow thank you for the responses.
Nicene: Thanks for taking the time to illustrate agape vs philia for me.
That was something we Sort of covered as jw’s, but this was much better and I understand the difference now, further I get the sense of charity and why it is used in the Catechism for Corinthians.

👍
 
Just another wrinkle here :), but the word charity comes from the latin word caritas which is usually translated as love but is probably more properly rendered as charitable love. Caritas is usually the Latin word used in 1st Corinthians where the English word Love is used (I don’t say translated since most modern English Bibles are based off of Greek Manuscripts).

Just to add a further wrinkle though, in the Vulgate version of John 15:12-13, the word rendered as love in english is rendered as amicus is latin. Amicus is probably best translated as the love of friendship or brotherhood.

I knew all that latin I took in College would come in useful one day :).

–
Bill
 
Just to add a further wrinkle though, in the Vulgate version of John 15:12-13, the word rendered as love in english is rendered as amicus is latin. Amicus is probably best translated as the love of friendship or brotherhood.

I knew all that latin I took in College would come in useful one day :).

–
Bill
Actually it’s not.

*15:12. This is my commandment, that you love one another, as I have loved you.
Hoc est praeceptum meum ut diligatis invicem sicut dilexi vos

15:13. Greater love than this no man hath, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
Maiorem hac dilectionem nemo habet ut animam suam quis ponat pro amicis suis*

Diligo = love.
Amicus = loving or friendly

Latin textual references:

New Advent

Tufts University

Peace and God Bless
Nicene
 
Here is a very illustrative difference in the way english interprets love, and the way Christ means love.

The blue indicates Christs question: “Do you love me”, the red is Peters response.

21:15 ote oun êristêsan legei tô simôni petrô o iêsous simôn iôna agapas me pleion toutôn legei autô nai kurie su oidas oti philô se legei autô boske ta arnia mou
16 legei autô palin deuteron simôn iôna agapas me legei autô nai kurie su oidas oti philô se legei autô poimaine ta probata mou
17 legei autô to triton simôn iôna phileis me elupêthê o petros oti eipen autô to triton phileis me kai eipen autô kurie ts su panta oidas su ginôskeis oti philô se legei autô o iêsous boske ta probata mou
18 amên amên legô soi ote ês neôteros ezônnues seauton kai periepateis opou êtheles otan de gêrasês ekteneis tas cheiras sou kai allos se zôsei kai oisei opou ou theleis
19 outo de eipen sêmainôn poiô thanatô doxasei ton theon kai touto eipôn legei autô akolouthei moi

Notice especially the third time Jesus asks Peter if he loves him, he doesn’t say agape, but philia. Peter has good reason to be grieved. Then notice how the text immediately trasitions to a prophesy about Peters death.

And here it is in the english translation:

15: When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?" He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Feed my lambs.”
16: A second time he said to him, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Tend my sheep.”
17: He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Peter was grieved because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” And he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep.
18: Truly, truly, I say to you, when you were young, you girded yourself and walked where you would; but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will gird you and carry you where you do not wish to go.”
19: (This he said to show by what death he was to glorify God.) And after this he said to him, “Follow me.”

Christ is telling Peter that he will learn to Agape, and Peter does give up his life hung upside down on a cross a little over thirty years later. As an interesting side note, the second time Jesus asks Peter if he loves him, he uses the word poimaine instead of boske. Poimaine means:

poimaino poy-mah’-ee-no
to tend as a shepherd of (figuratively, superviser) – feed (cattle), rule.

Anyway, I think the above is one of the best illustrations in the bible of what benevolent, self sacrifical, charitable love is (as opposed to modern love, which is watered down and wishy washy IMHO) because Jesus contrasts it with friendship love. Agape is works love.

Hope that helps a bit.

Peace and God Bless
Nicene
Fantastic! This is a keeper 👍
 
Actually it’s not.

15:12. This is my commandment, that you love one another, as I have loved you.
Hoc est praeceptum meum ut diligatis invicem sicut dilexi vos

15:13. Greater love than this no man hath, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
Maiorem hac dilectionem nemo habet ut animam suam quis ponat pro amicis suis

Diligo = love.
Amicus = loving or friendly

Latin textual references:

New Advent

Tufts University

Peace and God Bless
Nicene
Ack… oh well, that is what pride gets me. Getting corrected for mistakes I make is always good for keeping my ego in check. Thanks :).

–
Bill
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top