Charity Question

  • Thread starter Thread starter zeldamagic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

zeldamagic

Guest
I was reading about how charity can save lives. thelifeyoucansave.org/Learn-More/Why-Donate I wonder if people entertaining themselves instead of giving to charity is wrong. Like is it wrong to spend money on video games or technology when you could be using it to save lives? We have all this money in the developed world and there is a huge money gap between us and poorer countries. Would it be a mortal sin to waste all that money? Also I replied on my previous thread “Great stress about helping others” but no one ever responded back after that…
 
I was reading about how charity can save lives. thelifeyoucansave.org/Learn-More/Why-Donate I wonder if people entertaining themselves instead of giving to charity is wrong. Like is it wrong to spend money on video games or technology when you could be using it to save lives? We have all this money in the developed world and there is a huge money gap between us and poorer countries. Would it be a mortal sin to waste all that money? Also I replied on my previous thread “Great stress about helping others” but no one ever responded back after that…
There’s a couple of things here.

First of all, understand that simply dumping money and resources into poor countries or communities does not mean that things better. Getting an effective charity cause to work is a lot more difficult than people think. There was a “we are the world” concert for a civil war in Africa, I think, about 30 years ago. What happened with that money was it got into the wrong hands and EXTENDED the war.

Also remember the Haiti earthquake? Millions of dollars have vanished from that.

So it isn’t quite as easy.

Second, I wouldn’t be able to do my job without technology. It’s necessary.

Third, if you think you are in mortal sin because you go to a movie instead of giving to charity, well, even priests watch movies and go on vacation.

If you worry about stuff like that, you MUST find a spiritual director.

The only mortal sin I can think of here off the top of my head is being obstinately rich and refusing to give, maybe bad intentions on such greed and perhaps pride. 🤷

If you have extra things or money or if you want to make a sacrifce, well, I always say its hard to go wrong with charity.

But as Catholics, we are close to the Truth, and more is expected of us. We would all do well to expose and avoid the sin of scandal, and there’s plenty of it in the charity business. Just look at these non-profits and NGOs whose employees get travel expenses paid and 6-figure salaries. Be wary of where your money goes! :yup:
 
Many charities don’t dump money. They go in and build wells, tilapia ponds, teach skills, and build hospitals & schools. Our parish members just got back from Haiti. They took supplies, medications, people who could fix the broken school busses, repair the heating, wire the classrooms for light, and purify the water supply. All for an orphanage that is educating the children and doing great work.
One should know what each charity specifically does and how the money is spent. All of this info is readily available.
 
There’s a couple of things here.

First of all, understand that simply dumping money and resources into poor countries or communities does not mean that things better.** Getting an effective charity cause to work is a lot more difficult than people think. There was a “we are the world” concert for a civil war in Africa, I think, about 30 years ago. What happened with that money was it got into the wrong hands and EXTENDED the war.

Also remember the Haiti earthquake? Millions of dollars have vanished from that.

So it isn’t quite as easy.
**
Second, I wouldn’t be able to do my job without technology. It’s necessary.

Third, if you think you are in mortal sin because you go to a movie instead of giving to charity, well, even priests watch movies and go on vacation.

If you worry about stuff like that, you MUST find a spiritual director.

The only mortal sin I can think of here off the top of my head is being obstinately rich and refusing to give, maybe bad intentions on such greed and perhaps pride. 🤷
When I first came to Mexico, I volunteered at a home for children. Then, I began to see how resources that people took a lot of trouble to bring here to Mexico sometimes …didn´t get to the right places. Sometimes, they ended up tucked away where nobody ever used them!

There was a library that was locked most of the time, but it looked great if visitors came! However, it generally didn’t get used like it really needed to be.

Also, there were allegations of corruption, that the numbers for the finances didn´t add up. Two accountants that worked there were fired. I talked to both, who said they were fired when they discovered theft…that money went to a circle of people, NOT to the kids, for the most part.

I have since volunteered at another place in Mexico, same kind of dynamics. We have a guitar in a library there, books, braille books…none of which we are allowed to access!
At both places, we would use our own resources for the kids, because the money and resources didn´t seem to make it to them.

I agree with the idea that it can be quite hard to be assured your charity gets to where it needs to go.

I also used to try to give to folks on the street, and others with needs, similar problems.
I once gave money to someone who said his daughter needed a school uniform. The money I gave seemed to go towards a party!

Once, I gave a guy money for a crutch…got used…probably for drugs.

So, I have learned to be more careful, because, although God knows our intentions, even if what we give ends up misused. However, I’m tired of having it go in the wrong hands…make the problems worse!

Yeah, it’s also best, when possible, to teach a person how to fish rather than giving him a fish. I have learned I don´t seem to have the capacity to distinguish good charities from bad, at times.

I had some folks who were coming down with these terrible sores. I later learned that some cut themselves up, poured in a purple dye…would use tourniquets on their legs…ALL to get money for drugs!

These drugs caused these terrible sores. I later saw an article on Yahoo Mexico on this new drug which was being nicknamed, “The people’s heroine”! So, apparently, I had given all kinds of resources to addicts!

I talked to one doctor here who had a patient, once, who would NOT get treatment, that the doctor offered to, I believe, GIVE him the treatment, for free. He said if he got better, he couldn´t beg! So, he preferred to be ill!

I had 4 guys I offered to help…to take to medical treatment. All four refused!

I offered to take them to shelters…likewise…refused.

Some people fake disabilities. We had a guy who faked having one leg, later to be seen walking around! We have some people who have been said to also fake blindness, etc.

It’s complicated.

Giving people money does NOT always help. In fact, sometimes, it can also even create a dependence, and when you take that away, they can get VERY mad, feeling like you pulled the rug out from under them!

So, I am more selective, now…give more “in kind” and to people who seem more in legitimate need that I come across.

We have a Telethon here, and some are opposed to it. They say they get all kinds of write offs, and it’s not charity…that they …hard to explain…are making it look like they are doing a service, when they are really not…that it’s basically for tax reasons…not philanthropy and sort of has the opposite effect of what it’s supposed to do.

I didn´t fully understand the explanation, but some here are opposed to a Telethon here for that reason…that it’s not what it’s supposed to be…that one is better off giving directly to the charity, itself, instead.
 
We’ve had times people are begging, saying they are hungry. They have been given food, which some throw on the ground! They want CASH money!
 
]Many charities don’t dump money.
Considering the failure rate of some projects and the scandal involved, I’d say a lot of them do. This is more true with foreign aid more than anything else.

But I’m not really talking about financial scams or embezzlement, I’m talking more about charities and persons not understanding how to maximize their resources, get involved just to feel good and get a vacation out of it or just thinking they can put whatever together and it’s good enough without any (name removed by moderator)ut from the community or ignoring their ideas.
[They go in and build wells, tilapia ponds, teach skills, and build hospitals & schools.
If things are not done properly, the community will reject them once the foreigners leave. Also, it’s important for the kind of transparency about how the money is spent to be available.

Believe me, if the community doesn’t feel a sense of ownership, they may not be interested. A lot of times, they may not even understand or see the value of what we are trying to do.

It’s led to a lot of frustration.
So, I have learned to be more careful, because, although God knows our intentions, even if what we give ends up misused. However, I’m tired of having it go in the wrong hands…make the problems worse!
Problem is a lot of people don’t care if it goes into the wrong hands as long as they feel good about it and go on vacation.
Yeah, it’s also best, when possible, to teach a person how to fish rather than giving him a fish. I have learned I don´t seem to have the capacity to distinguish good charities from bad, at times.
Well, those are good points, but the community needs to feel a sense of ownership.
[/quote]
 
We’ve had times people are begging, saying they are hungry. They have been given food, which some throw on the ground! They want CASH money!
Well, if that’s happening, they must not be that hungry then. :rolleyes:
 
OP,

I would suggest you begin by giving some of your time to local charities. Watch how things work. After a while if everything seems right, you could consider making a monetary donation. Also, you might consider donating food to a local food bank. If you regularly attend Sunday Services, you might get some ideas there. God knows when we are trying and when we are being greedy.

God Bless you.
 
OP,

I would suggest you begin by giving some of your time to local charities. Watch how things work. After a while if everything seems right, you could consider making a monetary donation. Also, you might consider donating food to a local food bank. If you regularly attend Sunday Services, you might get some ideas there. God knows when we are trying and when we are being greedy.

God Bless you.
My thoughts exactly, i’ll suggest you join SOCIETY OF ST VINCENT DEPAUL its a catholic charity organisation, check your parish. If they don’t have an existing one, meet the parish priest to give you pointers on how to establish one or you locate a Vincentian house or priest. We Vincentians always do thorough investigations before extending help.I understand wanting to do charity and being frustrated, and quite frankly ‘misdirected charity is not charity at all’. I believe you will get it right once you have the zeal. Goodluck and God bless.
 
I spend some money “on myself” and by the way time is money so I’m spending both right here by typing.

We do “sponsor a child” but I’m not saying that’s a big deal in fact it’s too easy because it goes by bank draft every month.

And I do give to others.

But what I spend on media goes to others and helps them feed their families and themselves, and some of them will go on to charity.

Money is really just imaginary human incentive, with numbers attached. You never really know where it will go. The money you spend at the grocery store may end up in an employee paycheck for someone to buy baby formula, or maybe crack.

Summary: when you can actually help somebody and have the resource, it is good. When you believe you are facing scarcity, it can seem harder to give. But what was funny was that when we were in scarcity, for the most part others who had little were more supportive than others who had a lot – with one notable exception thank God so at least we stayed in the home the whole time. 🙂
 
I was reading about how charity can save lives. thelifeyoucansave.org/Learn-More/Why-Donate I wonder if people entertaining themselves instead of giving to charity is wrong. Like is it wrong to spend money on video games or technology when you could be using it to save lives? We have all this money in the developed world and there is a huge money gap between us and poorer countries. Would it be a mortal sin to waste all that money? Also I replied on my previous thread “Great stress about helping others” but no one ever responded back after that…
The thing, for me, with giving money is that on one hand it really can be put to good use if given to the right person / organization, on the other hand it can be a waste if the person you’re giving it to has bad intentions. So, maybe, instead of giving money you could volunteer or give away things you don’t need or use anymore to a local parish or organization. 🙂
 
Considering the failure rate of some projects and the scandal involved, I’d say a lot of them do. This is more true with foreign aid more than anything else.

But I’m not really talking about financial scams or embezzlement, I’m talking more about charities and persons not understanding how to maximize their resources, get involved just to feel good and get a vacation out of it or just thinking they can put whatever together and it’s good enough without any (name removed by moderator)ut from the community or ignoring their ideas.

If things are not done properly, the community will reject them once the foreigners leave. Also, it’s important for the kind of transparency about how the money is spent to be available.

Believe me, if the community doesn’t feel a sense of ownership, they may not be interested. A lot of times, they may not even understand or see the value of what we are trying to do.

It’s led to a lot of frustration.

Problem is a lot of people don’t care if it goes into the wrong hands as long as they feel good about it and go on vacation.

Well, those are good points, but the community needs to feel a sense of ownership.
You need to talk to someone from CRS. They do amazing work, have an excellent record, and I know people who have personally been to Haiti and seen the good work they do and continue to do. We just had a speaker from Ghana come and spent the week with us…he told us about how CRS changed his life. He now holds a Masters in School Administration and he oversees many of the schools they have built to ensure that the children learn not only academics but also a trade.
Take care not paint all charities with the same brush.
 
The thing, for me, with giving money is that on one hand it really can be put to good use if given to the right person / organization, on the other hand it can be a waste if the person you’re giving it to has bad intentions. So, maybe, instead of giving money you could volunteer or give away things you don’t need or use anymore to a local parish or organization. 🙂
Well, people can do more, they just need to be very thoughtful about these things.

Catholics are close to the Truth, and we are called to do better.
 
Is the site I linked to a good charity then? It’s definitely important to make sure you give to the right organizations.
 
I was reading about how charity can save lives. thelifeyoucansave.org/Learn-More/Why-Donate I wonder if people entertaining themselves instead of giving to charity is wrong. Like is it wrong to spend money on video games or technology when you could be using it to save lives? We have all this money in the developed world and there is a huge money gap between us and poorer countries. Would it be a mortal sin to waste all that money? Also I replied on my previous thread “Great stress about helping others” but no one ever responded back after that…
I clicked this thread cuz your name had Zelda in it. lol

As a pretty big gamer, and chilling on it now, I feel ya. I’ve spent quite a large amount on video games in my past. But decided to hold off on obtaining large collections and being happy with my retro games and occasionally buying a game that I really really really want to get; like Super Smash Bro’s for example. The fact is, moderation and temperance are key. I’ve been in communion with God and played some games, obtained some wisdom or analogies but there is a time when God nudges me and says, “Ok, enough for now” basically.(Just like with movies or TV) Especially if its solo gaming. I’m trying to just play with people as a sort of bonding experience rather then just play by myself. If I mainly play by myself I may just get consumed in it, and have nothing to show for it, other than more hand-eye coordination and problem solving skills I guess. Prayer and trying to have that detachment from things of this world and attachment to things of God has kinda distanced me from playing games in a un-moderate manner. I’ve given up games for Lent before, at first it was a pretty major cross but then I realized how productive I could be. Nothing wrong with unwinding now and then and playing some games.

As far as Charity goes, yeah we don’t give nearly as much as we should. I think that goes for everybody. Some people spend money on games, others movies, others eating out, vacations, all sorts of stuff. The key I think is being detached, denying ourselves and being one in God’s Will. Fulfilling what He desires in everything. Charity in regards to money may follow but not always. Sometimes it’s evangelization, getting the word out, etc. But yeah, they say 10% of your pay is a good amount to give, but not all can do this, especially if they are in debt.

I’d kinda see what your even capable of in your budget. How much money do you have left over after the month, see what would be reasonable. A woman could give a penny and God would look with favor to her because that was practically all she had. But if a rich man gave a penny it would be nothing.
 
Is the site I linked to a good charity then? It’s definitely important to make sure you give to the right organizations.
This is a good website to help you decide where you want to donate:
charitynavigator.org/

It makes me wonder why some Catholic Charities persons get paid so much to run an organization to help others when priests are paid so little to give everything for the sake of others. Why are Catholic Charities not run by more religious? That could mean hundreds of thousands of dollars per charity more to the poor a year right? When did we replace the religious from the helm of Catholic organizations at the cost of $361,000/yr (salary for the top employee at one Charity)?
 
This is a good website to help you decide where you want to donate:
charitynavigator.org/

It makes me wonder why some Catholic Charities persons get paid so much to run an organization to help others when priests are paid so little to give everything for the sake of others. Why are Catholic Charities not run by more religious? That could mean hundreds of thousands of dollars per charity more to the poor a year right? When did we replace the religious from the helm of Catholic organizations at the cost of $361,000/yr (salary for the top employee at one Charity)?
Thanks for the link. I found this organization with good credibility and can save lives from malaria by using nets to protect people for as little as three dollars. thelifeyoucansave.org/Where-to-Donate/Against-Malaria-Foundation
However, it is on your link but unrated. What should I do about it?
 
Thanks for the link. I found this organization with good credibility and can save lives from malaria by using nets to protect people for as little as three dollars. thelifeyoucansave.org/Where-to-Donate/Against-Malaria-Foundation
However, it is on your link but unrated. What should I do about it?
The link that I provided should say why it is not rated. You may still be able to access their TAX information through the site to make a decision for yourself. Above all, pray and ask the Holy Spirit to guide you in your decision.

Blessings!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top