Chavez: Iran has 'right' to nuke program

• Thread starter Thread starter gilliam
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gilliam

CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) - Venezuela’s maverick President Hugo Chavez said Friday that Iran has a “right” to a nuclear energy program and he would back the Middle Eastern country up in its dispute with the United States over what Washington sees as an attempt by Tehran to obtain atomic bombs.

“Iran has the right to develop its atomic energy like any other country in the world and continue its investigations in this field,” Chavez said during meetings with Iranian President Mohammad Khatami. “Venezuela and Iran agree in firmly rejecting the imperialist policy of the United States.” Government ministers from both countries also signed 20 agreements to cooperate in projects from oil exploration to a tractor assembly plant, but Chavez talked most about the countries’ common troubles with the United States.

Khatami said both governments “are firm against any aggression that could come up.”

The United States has repeatedly voiced concerns about Iran’s nuclear program and has criticized what Chavez’s opponents call a drift toward dictatorship.

“Iran, confronted by the United States, has our solidarity,” said Chavez, a fierce critic of U.S. foreign policy and close ally of Cuba’s Fidel Castro. “Like you, we are willing to be free from imperialism.”

“Iran and Venezuela, these two brothers, are and will be together forever,” Chavez said after the talks at Miraflores Presidential Palace.

Chavez said leading “revolutions” is the only manner of opposing U.S. hegemony in world affairs. Without referring to the United States, Khatami said both nations "have decided to be free. U.S. officials did not immediately comment on the meeting between Khatami and Chavez, which came five days before an Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries summit in Iran where members will meet amid record high oil prices.

bakersfield.com/24hour/world/story/2223009p-10357336c.html

Just as we have the right to put political pressure on their and other countries that try to break the non-proliferation treaty. That includes suspension of economic aid, etc.

40.png
mjdonnelly:
Just as we have the right to put political pressure on their and other countries that try to break the non-proliferation treaty. That includes suspension of economic aid, etc.
United Nations has the right not the U.S

We can stop sending countries economic aid, there is nothing mandating that with the exception of money sent to the World Monetary Fund, and a couple other international organizations we are part of.

We can also not trade with a certain country and influence it’s neighboring countries to help us to help reach a goal.

Those are a couple examples in what I mean by political pressure, we can do things without UN approval.

They are useless in most cases it seems.

40.png
selvaraj:
Not all aid comes through the UN. Foreign aid, as a gift from the US, can be granted or withheld as WE see fit. Period. End of argument.

40.png
selvaraj:
Where does that right come from?

That a nation has a right to defend itself comes from Natural Law (see the Catholic Catechism). As far as I know, NO NATION has delegated that right to the United Nations.

I am sure that Iran sees this as a defensive action. And in a large part it is.

I also see it as a potential offensive action, and I think the US and EU does as well. Remember, Iran is one of the major sponsors of the concept of a new Caliphate.

This reminds me of Germany prior to WWII. We all need to read what the clerics in Iran have been saying these last years, and believe them.

40.png
selvaraj:
Just as soon as Ridyah and the rest of the nation institutes and implements the UN rules on women, voting, human rights – get back to us.

why would iran have any rights to have nukes? obviously only the US can have nukes. were obviously the most qualified since weve used 2 of them before. were experienced. if everyone else has nukes then we cant be as much of a superpower anymore. that wouldnt be fun would it. we should be able to decide who can defend themselves, ya know?

40.png
Mycroft:
why would iran have any rights to have nukes? obviously only the US can have nukes. were obviously the most qualified since weve used 2 of them before. were experienced. if everyone else has nukes then we cant be as much of a superpower anymore. that wouldnt be fun would it. we should be able to decide who can defend themselves, ya know?
Is that sarcasm? How long after Iran gets nukes do you think that they will use one on Israel? Ten minutes? Less? Seriously the US isn’t going to nuke anyone, they are a derterrent, but rouge nations like North Korea and Iran just might.

40.png
Mycroft:
Should we go through the list of countries that do have those weapons?

The number you have has very little to do with being a superpower.

40.png
selvaraj:
U.S only used nukes on Japan.( more nukes Nations are there )
HAHA only? did you just say only? is that a joke? do you know how many innocent people died form those? but i guess it doesnt matter their only japanese. and the US is the only country to use nukes so you cant put us on a higher moral pedestal.

Tyler Smedley:
Is that sarcasm? How long after Iran gets nukes do you think that they will use one on Israel? Ten minutes? Less? Seriously the US isn’t going to nuke anyone, they are a derterrent, but rouge nations like North Korea and Iran just might.
oh yeah of COURSE the US isnt gonna use nukes on anybody. weve never done THAT before. obviously the only country that has used nukes wouldnt ever use nukes. your logic is impeccable. i commend you.

40.png
mjdonnelly:
Should we go through the list of countries that do have those weapons?

The number you have has very little to do with being a superpower.
im pretty sure that there is alot of people who equate nukes with power. otherwsie why would they want them? cus their fun to look at?

40.png
Mycroft:
im pretty sure that there is alot of people who equate nukes with power. otherwsie why would they want them? cus their fun to look at?
IMHO Iran feels that if it has a nuke they will be safe from attack.

IMHO I feel that if Iran has nukes they will eventually give one to terrorists.

40.png
gilliam:
Where does that right come from?

This reminds me of Germany prior to WWII. We all need to read what the clerics in Iran have been saying these last years, and believe them.
Do you have a source that quotes politically powerful clerics in Iran? I would like to read that.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back