Cheap group pilgrimage to Poland?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ocean_of_Mercy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Ocean_of_Mercy

Guest
Are there any low-budget group pilgrimages to Poland? It seems that most pilgrimages that are offered include staying in nice hotels and fine dining. Are there any pilgrimages that are more austere, where perhaps the pilgrims stay at hostels or something similar? I am thinking that perhaps tour companies based in Poland might be cheaper. Does anyone know?
 
Are there any low-budget group pilgrimages to Poland? It seems that most pilgrimages that are offered include staying in nice hotels and fine dining. Are there any pilgrimages that are more austere, where perhaps the pilgrims stay at hostels or something similar? I am thinking that perhaps tour companies based in Poland might be cheaper. Does anyone know?
I doubt Poland-based tours would be any cheaper. You’d still need to book Atlantic flights, and would miss out on the group rates.

Commercial pilgrimage itineraries are often higher in creature comforts because the travellers are older, and less tolerant of austerity. If you want something more basic, search for youth pilgrimages, or inquire at your archdiocese.

Or wait a year and go to Cracow with World Youth Day:)🙂

ICXC NIKA.
 
I haven’t heard of any really cheap group pilgrimage to Poland. For a pilgrimage from the US, a big part of the cost is airfare, so you have to allow for that. In the summer, the airfare is always higher, as much as $1600 from the west coast, less from Chicago or New York.
If you go on your own, you can stay at hostels. In summer, most universities rent dorm rooms to tourists. Sometimes they will do this during the school season, but it’s very limited. If you went to Krakow, you could take a train to Czestochowa and then call a cab or walk (it’s a long walk but still possible if you’re in good shape) from the train station. From Krakow you could also take a tram to the Divine Mercy Sanctuary and then walk maybe about a half a mile (it’s kind of an incline so like walking uphill), or you could take a taxi. Also, there is lodging right on the sanctuary grounds - kind of priced in between a reasonable hotel and a hostel. It’s really not far out of old town Krakow. Another lesser known pilgrimage site that is worth seeing is Kalwaria Zebrzydowska.
There are also private guides available for hire who could take you to places you wanted to go and who also act as tour guides. Some of these can be tailored to your liking. It is also possible to find companies that offer tours to certain places, for example, you could get a bus tour that would take whoever signed up that day to Czestochowa, for example. These tours are not a pilgrimage as such, though, and from I saw, the tours are more secular oriented.
If you do not speak Polish at all, it will mostly not be a problem in a large city like Krakow or Warsaw, as tourist-oriented places usually have an English speaker available and many young people have studied English. The only place I encountered difficulty was outside the big cities and in the train station, but if you buy the train ticket from a travel agency office in town, someone there usually speaks English.
 
Thanks, everyone! I figured airfare would be pretty non-negotiable, so I thought I could try to “cut the fat” during the actual pilgrimage. 🙂
 
Thanks, everyone! I figured airfare would be pretty non-negotiable, so I thought I could try to “cut the fat” during the actual pilgrimage. 🙂
Airfare is nonnegotiable, but highly variable.

Group rates are one of the best ways to lower that cost, via booking from the USA.

For the rest of it, a youth-oriented tour group is the best bet, even it this means waiting until 2016.

ICXC NIKA.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top