Cheating in College... What to do?

• Thread starter Thread starter Lionel_Beezus
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
And I disagreed with you.

Cheating could possibly harm other students; as to a couple of homework assignments, it is extremely unlikely to do so.

And I never said it was not a moral issue, if you look at my posts, I ahve repeatedly told him to go to confession. But the essence of his wrong was lying to the professor by not doing the work himself. He did not harm the professor either; he harmed himself.

He is not in school to “do homework and turn it in”, nor is he in school “to take tests”. He is in school to learn; the former is an assist to clarify and show his knowledge of the material; and the latter is to show that he has learned the material - and he did not say he cheated on any tests.

The ultimate bottom line is he took the easy way out on several assignments as if it were a cat and mouse game with the prof. That is a slacker’s mentality; instead, a student’s mentality is that he is there to absorb and learn everything he can.

I explained earlier that all cheating harms other students
This is why the issue of proportion is important… and the context of academia in general.

I will say it - it is mystifying (though edifying in a strange way) how people on these boards have this fixation with getting advice “from a priest.” I know hundreds of priests. I can tell you, it’s usually not bad advice (it’s certainly psychologically different from the internet), but the content is not always better than what’s offered here - and you are likely to get different opinions, just like you do here, if you ask one and then another. To be frank, the educational imbalances in seminaries and pontifical faculties are pretty astounding, from one to the other, and even within institutions… and I’m only talking about “current” realities.

When a priest gives restitution, he does so in cathedra christi. Essentially, I should trust his advice, despite how I may feel. I prayed for my confessor, that he might recommend adequate restitution.
My friend, you do not understand what restitution is. You have been conflating “reparation” with “restitution.” There is no restitution at play here. I encourage you to go to confession, but only because I encourage everyone to go to confession.

RELAX.

My friend, you do not understand what restitution is. You have been conflating “reparation” with “restitution.” There is no restitution at play here. I encourage you to go to confession, but only because I encourage everyone to go to confession.
Can you please explain, then? I’m a little confused as to the difference. Don’t I need to do both?

Restitution is the restoration of property. Reparation is making up for wrongdoing in general.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back