Chewing gum in Mass

• Thread starter Thread starter Teddy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Teddy

I see that chewing gum in Mass has become rather common in our church. Does anyone know what the church teaching is about this? It seems to me it is rather disrespectfull. What’s next? Popcorn? Peanuts? Slurpies?

I, too, am appalled at the number of people who chew gum in Church, be it for Mass or a rehersal for first communion, a wedding, confirmation, etc. And then to see these same people going up to receive our LORD in communion! I really struggle with this as I am an EMOHC. I feel that it is a sacriledge and that they are “eating without discerning the body.” I have, in some instances, kindly reminded people of their gum chewing and then receiving our LORD. What can be done about this? Do our priests need to go over with the congregation about the “proper way” of receiving our dear LORD? I think that we could all use some catechetical teaching from the pulpit.

For most of them, they are probably ignorant of what they are doing, and therefore need catechesis regarding the fasting regulations etc. However, we should all remember that some people chew gum because of medical disorders such as Sjogren’s syndrome, radiation treatment, and other causes of decreased salivary gland function.

Something to keep in mind. 👍

Can. 919 §1 Whoever is to receive the blessed Eucharist is to abstain for at least one hour before holy communion from all food and drink, with the sole exception of water and medicine.
This would seem to prohibit the chewing of gum in Mass, as although the gum itself is not swallowed, nutrients are still obtained from it. It also seems to allow for the use of gum for medicinal or therapeutic reasons, as maxk suggested.

Chewing gum is not a pleasant sight, even in other circumstances, let alone at church. I noticed that the pianist at the 10:00 Mass where I go to church always chews gum. They come down from the choir loft and kneel in the aisle and receive communion first, then go back and do the communion song, and I noticed her chomping away, right before receiving. I figure it must be a weird idiosyncrasy that helps her play, but I’ll admit that it did strike me as odd. She’s quite a good soloist too, maybe she needs to chew gum to help her coordinate singing and playing the piano at the same time.

Donna Hundl:
I feel that it is a sacriledge and that they are “eating without discerning the body.” I have, in some instances, kindly reminded people of their gum chewing and then receiving our LORD. What can be done about this? Do our priests need to go over with the congregation about the “proper way” of receiving our dear LORD? I think that we could all use some catechetical teaching from the pulpit.
Yes, it breaks the Eucharistic fast and shows disrespect for the body and blood of Christ. Every year as part of RCIA we have to make a special effort to ask people to not chew gum when coming to Mass for their first communion. Unfortunately, priests are going to have to start catechizing the whole congregation on this issue.

Chewing gum, immodest apparel, talking, and personal displays of affection all are seen as disrespectful by most of us at Mass. These may serve as examples of disrespect and can be highlighted by a “pastor’s column” in the weekly bulletin. Repeating this topic with examples every few months seems to improve the situation somewhat.

jack roscoe:
Chewing gum, immodest apparel, talking, and personal displays of affection all are seen as disrespectful by most of us at Mass. These may serve as examples of disrespect and can be highlighted by a “pastor’s column” in the weekly bulletin. Repeating this topic with examples every few months seems to improve the situation somewhat.
I really do agree with Jack, but I think that we need to see that our Church is under seige, and part of the reason these things are happening is to keep our mind off what it is supposed to be on during the mass. If these things are getting to where they are causing us a problem we must point it out to the Priest, but we should also be asking our Lord and Our Lady to help us refocus on the Mass. Satan wants to distract us anyway he can and there is no better time for him to do it then at the Mass. When he tries remember who is truly present in the Church.

Just a thought it has made it eaiser for me to focus on who is really causing this problem, instead of getting all worked up about some people who dont use common sence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back