Chicago Mayor Daley's Son enlists in the Army

• Thread starter Thread starter Fitz
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fitz

I found this of particular interest since my daughter is in the military. I was a little upset with the Tribune’s constant reminder that his mom, Maggie, was upset with his decision.
chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-0412010213dec01,1,7697293.story?coll=chi-news-hed

It seems that they want to make this sensational. Since Maggie is battling cancer, I am sure many things upset her. However, I find this an invasion of her privacy in an odd way. I think we all would have guessed that his parents would be surprised that after receiving an MBA, that he would turn around at age 29 and join the military. ’

Which one of us wants our children in battle? Not me for sure! But I can tell you I am very proud of my daughter, her service to our country, and how much she has grown in maturity through her service. I am sure that when the Mayor’s son graduates from boot camp that they will be very proud of him. All along the way they will see the sacrifice that our young are making. It is really commendable.

Maggie’s not only a mom, but a liberal socialite. Of course, she would be upset with her son joining the big, bad, army and maybe going off to fight in Iraq! I almost find it strangely funny that she is “distraught”. Imagine the thoughts going through her head, “O, no, my son may actually live to come back as a pro-gun, pro-war conservative! Where did I go wrong?”

Army ought to do the brat some good. People still joke about the crazy party he had (complete with the baseball bat incident) back in his high school days. If he wasn’t the mayor’s kid, he’d probably be working at some minimum wage job or in jail.

40.png
chicago:
Army ought to do the brat some good. People still joke about the crazy party he had (complete with the baseball bat incident) back in his high school days. If he wasn’t the mayor’s kid, he’d probably be working at some minimum wage job or in jail.
I beg to differ. He got an MBA from the U of C and that is a very difficult program. They don’t do anyone any favors. He is a smart young man apparently. I have to differ with your opinion. I think the Trib did a disservice to Maggie by harping on her worry. She has the right to worry. I think she may be the one to change her opinion quite a bit with his involvement in the military. It will be an eye opener.

40.png
chicago:
Maggie’s not only a mom, but a liberal socialite. Of course, she would be upset with her son joining the big, bad, army and maybe going off to fight in Iraq! I almost find it strangely funny that she is “distraught”. Imagine the thoughts going through her head, “O, no, my son may actually live to come back as a pro-gun, pro-war conservative! Where did I go wrong?”
Do you think it possible that she just may worry for her son’s life instead of all this “O, no, my son may actually live to come back as a pro-gun, pro-war conservative! Where did I go wrong?” dribble?

I read that Patrick Daley was at West Point (as a cadet) for his freshman year before leaving. To have applied to West Point, been accepted, and spent a year, he must have had patriotic sentiments. So serving in the military is probably not a bolt of lightning, out of the blue impulse.

40.png
chicago:
Now, now, chicago. A little charity. Weren’t you the guy who was fleecing the customers for $10 to get into the new forums? :whistle: (Kidding, really, just kidding. Don’t send the charity police after me. PLeeeeeeze!!!)

40.png
Peacemonger:
Do you think it possible that she just may worry for her son’s life instead of all this “O, no, my son may actually live to come back as a pro-gun, pro-war conservative! Where did I go wrong?” dribble?

I AGREE WITH YOU, ON THIS ONE. AS A MOM OF FIVE BOYS WHETHER I SUPPORTED THE WAR OR NOT,REGARDLESS OF WHO I VOTED FOR THE IDEA THAT MY SON COULD DIE IN A HORIBBLE MANNER IN ANOTHER COUNTRY AND WITH THE BEHEADINGS,UGH!!!GOD WOULD GET SICK OF HEARING FROM ME, THE POOR ANGELS, WOULD SHUTTER WHEN THEY HEARD MY VOICE AND THE SAINTS WOULD REQUEST A VACATION-FROM ME.IPRAY FOR EVERY ONE OVER THERE, THE SOLDIERS, THEIR FAMILY’S, THE PEOPLE FROM IRAQ, AND THE CONVERSION OF THE TERRORIST.GOD BLESS

40.png
Lisa4Catholics:
I AGREE WITH YOU, ON THIS ONE. AS A MOM OF FIVE BOYS WHETHER I SUPPORTED THE WAR OR NOT,REGARDLESS OF WHO I VOTED FOR THE IDEA THAT MY SON COULD DIE IN A HORIBBLE MANNER IN ANOTHER COUNTRY AND WITH THE BEHEADINGS,UGH!!!GOD WOULD GET SICK OF HEARING FROM ME, THE POOR ANGELS, WOULD SHUTTER WHEN THEY HEARD MY VOICE AND THE SAINTS WOULD REQUEST A VACATION-FROM ME.IPRAY FOR EVERY ONE OVER THERE, THE SOLDIERS, THEIR FAMILY’S, THE PEOPLE FROM IRAQ, AND THE CONVERSION OF THE TERRORIST.GOD BLESS
Wow, Lisa just a thought- drop the all caps. It is hard to read. You have good thoughts though, and believe me I tried praying day and night when my daughter was in the Persian Gulf. Pretty much, if I did not have my faith, I would have gone crazy.

I feel in this instance that the Tribune is invading Maggie’s privacy. Let her get used to the idea that her son is going to serve in the Army. Obviously since he started out at West Point, he has the inclination to be a soldier. More power to him.

40.png
Fitz:
I beg to differ. He got an MBA from the U of C and that is a very difficult program. They don’t do anyone any favors. He is a smart young man apparently.
Look at that resume that the Trib cited. What do you see? A guy who flitted all over during his early 20s, followed by LOTS of signifigant connections. Without the help that he got from being the mayor’s son, he would probably never have had such doors of opportunity opened up and had zero chance at even getting to a place where it might be justified (possibly along with some help at that) to his being admitted to the U of C MBA program. Just as with his dad, his sucesses probably have to do more with who he knows than what he knows. He may be smart, but if not for who is he is, he probably would have more likely been a smart manager of the local McDonalds. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.
I have to differ with your opinion. I think the Trib did a disservice to Maggie by harping on her worry. She has the right to worry.
She’s a public figure. Not only because she is the spouse of the mayor but because of her own high profile activities. What they reported, then, was legitimate. They just stated the facts, plain and simple. I don’t see how they rubbed anything in or criticized her for worrying.
I think she may be the one to change her opinion quite a bit with his involvement in the military. It will be an eye opener.
One can only hope.

40.png
Peacemonger:
I clearly acknowledged that she certainly does when I noted that she is a mom. It doesn’t have to be either/or but could be both/and.

40.png
Fitz:
Obviously since he started out at West Point, he has the inclination to be a soldier. More power to him.
Frankly, I am not sure what that says. It could also have been his dad giving him a good kick in the kiester and directing him that way after the fallout from the party scandal, while trying to promote him to better things and an officer’s life. Given, it was around the last war in Iraq time that he was in high school and may have thought about these things initially. Certainly, he should be given credit for enlisting now. Hopefully his intentions are sincere and this isn’t partly political ambition building blocks.

La Chiara:
Now, now, chicago. A little charity. Weren’t you the guy who was fleecing the customers for $10 to get into the new forums?
Da Mare needs da money!

40.png
chicago:
Look at that resume that the Trib cited. What do you see? A guy who flitted all over during his early 20s, followed by LOTS of signifigant connections. .
My oldest went to St. Ignatius in the city at the same time as the Daleys, and they don’t bend the rules for legacies. I really have to acknowledge that this young man is smart. He may have been silly about the party when he was 17, but the trouble was caused by townies at his parents summer home and he did not do any of the fighting. Yes it was wrong, but he is 12 years older now and apparently has done well. Many of my family memebers have the MBA from the University of Chicago (including my husband), and they do flit around job wise. It is what has been encouraged in their fields. I am not going to criticize this young man based on his father’s politics. I actually think that sometimes these people have to work harder to prove something- sort of like what minorities say happens to them.
Do I think the Daleys live a more privleged life? Yes. Do I resent them? NO, because they pay for it in so many ways and this lack of privacy is one of them.
40.png
chicago:
She’s a public figure. Not only because she is the spouse of the mayor but because of her own high profile activities. What they reported, then, was legitimate. They just stated the facts, plain and simple. I don’t see how they rubbed anything in or criticized her for worrying. One can only hope.
Reread the article, the Trib has to say it in 4 different ways that Maggie is distraught. They were stretching it and working it and I resent them for it. Look at the phrasing again and tell me that it was impartial. I would have hated it if they did that to me when my daughter was signing up. I know I am not in the news, but it is a very difficult time for the families and I think it was pure sensationalism. This press has been waiting 12 years for this young man to make another mistake. Apparently they agree with Maggie and think it is a mistake.

Look, I am not a Daley fan for the most part. I think he has made this the most beautiful city in our country, but I don’t like the Democratic Machine and his ultimate power. I will not let this opinion I have of his dad’s politics be applied to the son when I think he is doing a good thing. That is all I am saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back