Your child may know the rules, but that does not matter to a molestor.
Cat;9782541:
Anyway, our parish has had not just one, but several incidents of children being accosted in the bathrooms by perverts. So I am naturally going to side with the OP’s priest on this issue.
I would tend to err on the side of extreme caution. **Those who desire children and teenagers are very clever and subtle, and even a well-trained and savvy child or teen could be drawn into their net. **
Once a child or teen has been threatened or heaven forbid, actually molested, their innocence can never be restored fully. An incident will mark them for life.
This, exactly, unfortunately.
You’re talking to a former martial arts and women’s self-defense instructor. I’ve taken the training from the archdiocese and given seminars on safety. I’ve read and re-read the works of Gavin de Becker, the nation’s leading expert on predicting violent behavior. I’m a homeschooling mother who uses attachment parenting. Caution is my old friend…
And I’m telling you that at some point we have to let our children out of our sight. We cannot eliminate all risks. We have to use the good sense God gave us and minimize the risks in the best and** most reasonable** way. Walking a twelve-year-old child to the bathroom (as others mentioned) is not reasonable. Period.