Status
Not open for further replies.
P

preyoflove

Well, what do you know?

**China bans ‘blasphemous’ Nike commercial after uproar **

Updated 11:45am (Mla time) Dec 07, 2004
Agence France-Presse

BEIJING, China – China has imposed a nationwide ban on a “blasphemous” Nike television commercial – featuring US basketball star LeBron James battling animated characters – following a wave of protest, authorities said Tuesday.
The 90-second advert, entitled “Chamber of Fear,” “triggered great anger among Chinese TV viewers,” the State Administration for Radio, Film and Television said in a statement.

It shows Cleveland Cavaliers star James defeating a kung fu master, two women in traditional Chinese attire and a pair of dragons, considered a sacred symbol in Chinese culture.

The administration said it “violated China’s temporary advertising regulations,” which require all advertisements to “uphold national dignity and respect Chinese culture.”

It also violated rules that require advertisements not to “blaspheme national practices and cultures.”

The notice added that the administration plans to create a censorship system to try to stop other controversial advertisements reaching Chinese airwaves.

James signed an endorsement deal with US sports manufacturer Nike for nearly 100 million dollars in 2003.

It is not the first time Nike has run into trouble with its television advertisements.

In August it was forced to withdraw from Australian television an advert featuring young girls trying to impress a male tennis coach after morals groups complained it trivialized pedophilia.

What do you think?

Peace, so be it.

I wonder if they allow the resteraunts and health food stores to advertise the aborted babies they serve for human comsumption?Just wondering if that constitutes crossing the line of decency.God Bless

Sorry, I have no sympothy for Nike here. You don’t go into someone else’s country and insult them. It is rude. The least they can do is try to understand the culture and history.

40.png
Lisa4Catholics:
I wonder if they allow the resteraunts and health food stores to advertise the aborted babies they serve for human comsumption?Just wondering if that constitutes crossing the line of decency.God Bless
do you have any factual proof or basis for this hysterical accusation?

It’s a pity they aren’t more upset about the torture of humans, and all the babies they murder.

40.png
gilliam:
Sorry, I have no sympothy for Nike here. You don’t go into someone else’s country and insult them. It is rude. The least they can do is try to understand the culture and history.
I agree completely. I am also saddened that probably not many besides me complained about the one that aired right here in the US. LeBron was the “preacher” & their were several references to Christianity & church. I was highly offended. Sounds like this is Nike’s attempt at a Chinese version of the same 😦

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back