Choice of lectionary for religious communities

  • Thread starter Thread starter Digitonomy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Digitonomy

Guest
I am aware that for secular masses, the source of the lectionary is generally legislated by the national bishops’ conference. Is this decision also binding for masses in religious communities, or do they have the leeway to choose their own lectionaries?
 
I am aware that for secular masses, the source of the lectionary is generally legislated by the national bishops’ conference. Is this decision also binding for masses in religious communities, or do they have the leeway to choose their own lectionaries?
Each religious community has their own Ordo (Calendar) which contains saints of their order that are not common to the regular liturgical calendar. Each order also has its own lectionay for those saints, I even believe that the lectionary may differ from the standard lectonary in the case of saints of the order who are also on the standard calendar. For example St Teresa of Avila, I would have to look at the Carmelite Lectonary to confirm this though.

So yes we religious have our own lectonaries that cover our saints but for days that do not have a saint on them we use the lectionary that the rest of the Church uses.
 
So yes we religious have our own lectonaries that cover our saints but for days that do not have a saint on them we use the lectionary that the rest of the Church uses.
I wasn’t as clear as I could have been - I’m curious not so much about the choice of readings, but about the translation. Would a religious community in the US automatically be required to use the NAB, while its counterpart across the border in Canada uses the NRSV?
 
I wasn’t as clear as I could have been - I’m curious not so much about the choice of readings, but about the translation. Would a religious community in the US automatically be required to use the NAB, while its counterpart across the border in Canada uses the NRSV?
I am not sure what translation our Carmelite lectionary uses but it would be/is approved by our General Council which meets in Rome, I do not think they are bound by the national bishops’ conferences as we are an order of Pontifical Right and the bishops really get no say in our internal functions/decisions.

EDIT: I checked the Carmelite lectionary in our Chapel and found that the English version uses the NAB for the readings and the Grail for the Psalms.
 
I am not sure what translation our Carmelite lectionary uses but it would be/is approved by our General Council which meets in Rome, I do not think they are bound by the national bishops’ conferences as we are an order of Pontifical Right and the bishops really get no say in our internal functions/decisions.
^Very true, but, if a Mass is ‘public’ (the monastery I was in also ran a parish and the conventual Mass was the parish daily Mass), they are bound for that Mass by the diocesan liturgical books.
 
^Very true, but, if a Mass is ‘public’ (the monastery I was in also ran a parish and the conventual Mass was the parish daily Mass), they are bound for that Mass by the diocesan liturgical books.
True, if it is in a parish it must follow the rules of the diocese.

But, say, in a shrine run by the order they follow the orders rules.

Also, up until Vatican II, I am not so sure the rule was to follow the standard lectionary as the orders had their own rite and even used that in the parishes they ran, or so I have be told.
 
^Very true, but, if a Mass is ‘public’ (the monastery I was in also ran a parish and the conventual Mass was the parish daily Mass), they are bound for that Mass by the diocesan liturgical books.
But if the church is entrusted to an Order, then the proper calendar of the Order (which is incorporated into the proper calendar of the church) is also followed in Masses celebrated with the people, which includes using the approved liturgical books of the Order and any translations in them.
 
True, if it is in a parish it must follow the rules of the diocese.

But, say, in a shrine run by the order they follow the orders rules.

Also, up until Vatican II, I am not so sure the rule was to follow the standard lectionary as the orders had their own rite and even used that in the parishes they ran, or so I have be told.
Since the lectionary was only separated from the Missal after V-II, when ever the religious used their own rites (BTW, resurrect them, please!) they used the readings from their Missal.

I do wonder how much variation there would have been (or even is now) in the various Lectionaries. Certainly now there may be variations in translation (RSV vs NAB based), but are there larger differences as well?
 
Since the lectionary was only separated from the Missal after V-II, when ever the religious used their own rites (BTW, resurrect them, please!) they used the readings from their Missal.

I do wonder how much variation there would have been (or even is now) in the various Lectionaries. Certainly now there may be variations in translation (RSV vs NAB based), but are there larger differences as well?
The differences are mainly the saints of the day.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top