…If you were to ever see the Catholic Church teach heresy (humor me here) what would be your spiritual obligation assuming that you could not prevail upon the Church to correct itself?..
Dear rr1213, et. al.:
I believe that the Japanese exemplify what I would do. Stated in a book by the Venerable Louis of Granada (1504-1588) in his classic book “The Sinner’s Guide.” 1883. USA-IL, Rockford: Tan Books Publishing, Inc.; 1985. (pags. xxii-xxiii)
“…There have been some 6 thousand editions of Fray Louis’ works. …tales brought back by missionaries that the Japanese version of ‘The Sinner’s Guide’ was one of the bullwarks that sustained the faith of the Japanese Catholics during two centuries of terrible persecution, when both in Europe and Japan, Japanese Christianity was believed dead. In 1865, when missionaries were again allowed into Japan, missionary Father Bernard Petitjean was astonished to find in the hills around Nagasaki thousands of Japanese Catholics who had kept the Faith,…, without priests, for over 200 years! …the joy of these faithful ones at once again having a Catholic priest among them. ‘The Sinner’s Guide’ had played a providential role in sustaining the Faith in their souls during that trying time. …”.
I am going to take very good care of my copy of “The Sinner’s Guide”, my Bible and Catechisms. Neither heresy, nor schism need to be choices–if these Japanese between the 1600’s to the 1800’s can keep the faith alive, under such intense persecution, than so can I. The universalality of the Catholic Church is both in place, and in time and therefore, it is able to be practised by all people, and at all times, and at all locations–it is a “method”, so-to-speak, for everyone and therefore, we always have an ability to become saints–there is no need to separate from the only Apostolic Church, either to deny the Papacy, or to avoid heresy–the Faith is always able to be perpetuated, virtually, by almost anyone–it is human nature in fact, I wish that I had the name of the encyclical name on hand at the moment, but one Pope went so far as to say, all are born Catholic, a reasonable statement in and of itself.
Most sincerely,
Kristopher
P.S. I really love the beauty of the Catholic Church.