F
fieldsparrow
Guest
This may or may not be coming up soon for me; I’ve heard arguments both for and against choosing a confirmation name. My Christian name is Jennifer Marie; Marie both for the Blessed Virgin and for my maternal grandmother. I pray the Rosary several times each day and do feel a special relationship with the Blessed Virgin, though our lives have not been similar. I aspire to accepting God’s will as Mary did, nevermind the earthly consequences.
In some ways, I would like to be confirmed with my own given name. In others, I would like to choose a patron saint. I feel especially connected with St. Raphael (partly because I want to become a pharmacist; partly against mental illness; partly for a guardian angel), and maybe even more so, St. Dymphna (against mental illness, loss of parents, family happiness). And then there’s St. Augustine, whose Confessions are just… they strike close to home (and he, at least I think, was a later convert who struggled). Not to mention St. Francis, because of my love of animals.
For what it’s worth, I am a woman. Can I choose a male patron saint? I don’t know if I should stick with the name I was given or if I should pick a saint’s name. Any thoughts? I have been praying to God to help me to discern, and trying to keep up a daily relationship with all three of these saints, and I am still somewhat at a loss. I think if I had to decide today, I would go with St. Dymphna or St. Augustine. In fact, I might have to decide tomorrow.
In some ways, I would like to be confirmed with my own given name. In others, I would like to choose a patron saint. I feel especially connected with St. Raphael (partly because I want to become a pharmacist; partly against mental illness; partly for a guardian angel), and maybe even more so, St. Dymphna (against mental illness, loss of parents, family happiness). And then there’s St. Augustine, whose Confessions are just… they strike close to home (and he, at least I think, was a later convert who struggled). Not to mention St. Francis, because of my love of animals.
For what it’s worth, I am a woman. Can I choose a male patron saint? I don’t know if I should stick with the name I was given or if I should pick a saint’s name. Any thoughts? I have been praying to God to help me to discern, and trying to keep up a daily relationship with all three of these saints, and I am still somewhat at a loss. I think if I had to decide today, I would go with St. Dymphna or St. Augustine. In fact, I might have to decide tomorrow.