C
carefullytread
Guest
I’ve seen a few posts of the Eucharist fast this morning and it got me wondering. The fast these days is only one hour, but it used to be longer (I think one point three hours and earlier even since the previous midnight?).
You typically have communion ~40 minutes into the mass for a Sunday service, so the fast is almost just a prohibition on eating on your way to church. But earlier, I could see it being more of a real physical penance, especially for people with low blood sugar, etc.
In those days, would a person who decided that the fast was hard and chose not to do it, rather to skip communion every Sunday except the required once a year be committing sin?
I know the Church only makes the explicit positive requirement to take communion once a year, but I had always imagined that more about requiring people to finally go to Confession and clear up their status vis a vis mortal sin. I had never really thought about a person in a state of grace attending a mass and then not taking communion. Can a Catholic in a state of grace licitly decide to skip the fast regularly?
You typically have communion ~40 minutes into the mass for a Sunday service, so the fast is almost just a prohibition on eating on your way to church. But earlier, I could see it being more of a real physical penance, especially for people with low blood sugar, etc.
In those days, would a person who decided that the fast was hard and chose not to do it, rather to skip communion every Sunday except the required once a year be committing sin?
I know the Church only makes the explicit positive requirement to take communion once a year, but I had always imagined that more about requiring people to finally go to Confession and clear up their status vis a vis mortal sin. I had never really thought about a person in a state of grace attending a mass and then not taking communion. Can a Catholic in a state of grace licitly decide to skip the fast regularly?