Christian Music

• Thread starter Thread starter ccav
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

ccav

OK, I don’t think a thread like this has been started already, but my appologies if one has and I didn’t find it.

I have been interested in buying some christian music CDs to listen to but there seems to be so many that I didn’t want to just play hit or miss (cds are a bit to expensive for me to do that). I’ve been listening to music on a local christian station and have found some artists I am interested. I thought I would also toss it out here and see if others had some recommendations.

So what do you like? 🙂

If its Catholic music / lyrics / songs you are after I suggest Marilla Ness? Over here in ireland we have a very gifted Priest called Fr. Liam Lawton who composes beautiful celtic spiritual music for Mass (all 100% Catholic of course) Have you heard of him?

Fergal
Naas
Ireland

My favorites are Danielle Rose, Michael W. Smith, and Erin Berghouse. Michael W. Smith does a lot of praise and worship style music. Erin Berghouse and Danielle Rose are Catholic artists, and, in my opinion two of the best out there. I was not expecting Danielle Rose to be good- to be honest, when I saw that her CD was a reflection of the mysteries of the rosary, I really wasn’t expecting much. Then I listened to it and I was really blown away. Erin Berghouse has an incredible voice, too- I think before she went into Christian music she toured with Sarah MacLaughlin.

40.png
Fergal:
If its Catholic music / lyrics / songs you are after I suggest Marilla Ness? Over here in ireland we have a very gifted Priest called Fr. Liam Lawton who composes beautiful celtic spiritual music for Mass (all 100% Catholic of course) Have you heard of him?

Fergal
Naas
Ireland
No I haven’t heard of him, but I found his website. Thanks! I’ll also check out Marilla Ness. I appreciate the Catholic performers. Some of the songs I have heard on the local christian station have some points of view that as a Catholic I don’t subscribe to, as I’m sure you know.

Thanks again for the recomendations! 👍

40.png
TeAmo:
My favorites are Danielle Rose, Michael W. Smith, and Erin Berghouse. Michael W. Smith does a lot of praise and worship style music. Erin Berghouse and Danielle Rose are Catholic artists, and, in my opinion two of the best out there. I was not expecting Danielle Rose to be good- to be honest, when I saw that her CD was a reflection of the mysteries of the rosary, I really wasn’t expecting much. Then I listened to it and I was really blown away. Erin Berghouse has an incredible voice, too- I think before she went into Christian music she toured with Sarah MacLaughlin.
I will definately have to check out Danielle Rose then!

Has anyone heard the CD "Vision - The Music of Hildegard von Bingen "? Any good?

Here is a silly question…

Before i started being Catholic again, I listened to some pretty serious heavy metal type craziness. Not the hair bands, but the hardcore heavy types. Well, I got rid of almost all of the stuff that I knew was pretty much garbage. Well, then this protestant friend of mine showed me a couple of “Christian Metal bands” They don’t preach or sing about God in their yealling and screaming voices, but they are positive and have clean lyrics…you could view it as screams of repentance if you will…so, anyways is this kinda stuff a good or bad thing? I like the guitars and drums that aren’t in other types of music.

40.png
flick427:
Here is a silly question…

Before i started being Catholic again, I listened to some pretty serious heavy metal type craziness. Not the hair bands, but the hardcore heavy types. Well, I got rid of almost all of the stuff that I knew was pretty much garbage. Well, then this protestant friend of mine showed me a couple of “Christian Metal bands” They don’t preach or sing about God in their yealling and screaming voices, but they are positive and have clean lyrics…you could view it as screams of repentance if you will…so, anyways is this kinda stuff a good or bad thing? I like the guitars and drums that aren’t in other types of music.
Hmmmm…You know what? I don’t think that is a silly question at all!

I’ve heard some people say that a particular sound or rhythm maybe inherently bad, but I personally do not believe this. I used to listen to alot of metal bands-all the bad ones-and like you I got rid of them when I started taking the faith seriously. I must admit though that I liked the ‘energy’ of the music.

Anyone else have some thoughts?

Some of my favorite groups/artists include:

New Song–“Red Letter Day” is my favorite!
Newsboys–Music with energy!
Steven Curtis Chapman–More music with energy!
Chris Rice–kinda like James Taylor
Michael W. Smith–Does anybody not know this guy? Love his music.

Tom Booth is a great Catholic writer/singer. I believe he wrote “Our God Is An Awesome God.” He’s going to give a concert at a park in Modesto this month.

Phil Keaggy is a great Catholic singer who plays guitar and sounds like Paul McCartney.

Tony Melendez, the Catholic singer who plays guitar with his feet, is also awesome.

David Crowder-great lyrics, and as far as style-everything from rock to worship.

Jennifer Knapp-I know some people prefer lighter music than the next few bands I suggest so…JK has amazing lyrics and the music is wonderful as well.

Brave Saint Saturn, Thousand Foot Krutch, Mineral, Five Iron Frenzy, The O.C. Supertones, Skillet, Bleach-classified as ska or rock. Good lyrics, great music (IMO)

Sara Groves-lighter music, good lyrics

Jeremy Camp-lighter rock

Casting Crowns-great new band

Third Day-worship and rock (but not hard rock), most adults who don’t like rock tend to like Third Day

Caedemon’s Call, MercyMe-Can’t really tell what genre they’re in but they are great bands with good songs

How’s that for a start?!? I really like music and could spend all day talking about CR 😃 . I know of most CCM bands so PM if u have a question!

Its Choral which may not be your taste but John Tavener’s music and Faure’s requiem do it for me!🙂

Jim Cowan!!! <—Catholic

Matthew West
Wes Clark
Point of Grace
Stephen Curtis Chapman
Newsboys
Rich Mullins:) …are my very favorites

I totally agree regarding Third Day and Casting Crowns.
They are both awesome!!!

I had the privelege of seeing Warren Barfield and Third Day in concert in June and it was one of the most moving experiences
of my life. Over 10,000 people in one place praising God…totally amazing! 😃

MercyMe
Nichole Nordeman
Warren Barfield

There are so many…I almost never listen to secular music any more.

Thank you, Lord for all of your blessings.

Nichole Nordeman IS definitely a great singer. Have you geard her song Why? It’s the crucifixion from a little girl’s POV. Really powerful. I also like her song “This Mystery”.

I also stopped listening to secular music…If I can find better in Christian artists, why bother listening to secular? For me at least!!!

MercyMe
Third Day
Caedemon’s Call
Newsboys

And if anyone is keeping track, I also gave up listening to secular music years ago. Between great Christain music and Catholic radio there isn’t time or desire to listen to anything else.

if you want a sound like the music you like now, go to a large Christian musicand bookstore, they will have a poster or salesperson who can tell you what groups sing hip-hop, rap, metal, alternative, lounge, blues, contemporary, gospel etc. styles. Most of these will be concert music, unless you get CD specifically for praise and worship. The WOW worship compilations each year have the “top 40” and are a good place to start to learn what artists you like

Lot of Christian music radio is geared to older listeners, kind of easy listening, not a lot of pop rock sounds.

If you want authentic Catholic lyrics in praise and worship music, suitable for congregational singing, rather than diva performances, check out Jim Cowan and compilation CDs from Franciscan University Press, STeubenville, also carried in the Renewed Life catalog. The Millenium Three albums are recorded at their summer youth conferences and have a lot of the latest songs by the best writers.

John Michael Talbott’s career has taken him over a number of styles and moods, check him out.

I love to listen to Ginny Owens, Amy Grant, Newsboys…almost anyone on WOW albums.

40.png
ccav:
OK, I don’t think a thread like this has been started already, but my appologies if one has and I didn’t find it.

I have been interested in buying some christian music CDs to listen to but there seems to be so many that I didn’t want to just play hit or miss (cds are a bit to expensive for me to do that). I’ve been listening to music on a local christian station and have found some artists I am interested. I thought I would also toss it out here and see if others had some recommendations.

So what do you like? 🙂
If you want a wide variety of music choices, get a chance to streamlink and listen to this variety.
www.sacredheartradio.net.

I have learned SO much about Catholic Artists and their music that is is refreshing that their ministries could use a shot in the arm!

go with God!
Edwin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back