F
fabio_rocha
Guest
I’ve heard that Christians are not absolute pacifists. Some people say Jesus wasn’t a pacifist (Jn 2, 14f).
Absolutely right!Catholics are not pacifists. Some protestants are, and they are in error.
It is Catholic teaching that there is such a thing as a just war, and in certain circumstances, we should take part in it.
, 1983, #s 73, 75]Absolutely right!
Some interesting quotes.
“Legitimate defense can be not only a right but a grave duty for someone responsible for another’s life. Preserving the common good requires rendering the unjust aggressor unable to inflict harm. To this end, those holding legitimate authority have the right to repel by armed force aggressors against the civil community entrusted to their charge.” CCC, §2265]
The Christian has no choice but to defend peace, properly understood, against aggression. This is an inalienable obligation. It is the how of defending peace which offers moral options. . . .
In all this discussion of distinct choices [for or against taking up arms], of course, we are referring to options open to individuals. The council and the Popes have stated clearly that governments threatened by armed, unjust aggression must defend their people. This includes defense by armed force if necessary as a last resort. [United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, *The Challenge of Peace
While Christians are not pacifists, sometimes I think they run to violence too quickly. They use the permissibility of self-defensive force as an excuse to resort to violence.war.I’ve heard that Christians are not absolute pacifists. Some people say Jesus wasn’t a pacifist (Jn 2, 14f).
I have seen Him in the watch-fires of a hundred circling camps,
They have builded Him an altar in the evening dews and damps;
I can read His righteous sentence by the dim and flaring lamps:
His day is marching on.
I have read a fiery gospel writ in burnished rows of steel:
"As ye deal with my contemners, so with you my grace shall deal;
Let the Hero, born of woman, crush the serpent with his heel,
Since God is marching on.
He has sounded forth the trumpet that shall never call retreat;
He is sifting out the hearts of men before His judgment-seat:
Oh, be swift, my soul, to answer Him! be jubilant, my feet!
Our God is marching on.
In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea,
With a glory in His bosom that transfigures you and me.
As He died to make men holy, let us die to make men free,
While God is marching on.
He is coming like the glory of the morning on the wave,
He is Wisdom to the mighty, He is Succour to the brave,
So the world shall be His footstool, and the soul of Time His slave,
Our God is marching on.
It would be just, since you were defending your own life and the lives of the 15 others. Martyrdom is an entirely different matter, which deserves a thread of its own.So lets imagine this scenario:
Im in a room attending a conference. Theres 20 chairs, 20 people seated, 4 rows of 5. In in the second row. Suddently comes in a guy with a gun and begins to shoot people starting from the first row. One by one, they drop dead. The aggressor comes in my direction and in that moment I have a swiss army knife. I see he is going to kill everyone, now its my row’s turn. Would it be just for me to pick up that knife and kill him, saving 15 lives? And what if the killing was because of our faith, like, he asks the people renounce your Christian faith or die? Would it be ok to kill him? Or should we suffer martyrdom?
It seems to me that in Catholic teaching there definitely is. Some politically conservative Catholics attack that interpretation of just-war theory, but to my mind it seems like the dominant one today. Look at how Pope Francis handled the Syria situation, for instance.While Christians are not pacifists, sometimes I think they run to violence too quickly. They use the permissibility of self-defensive force as an excuse to resort to violence.war.
I’ve always thought that the “just war” teaching is so flexible that the politician hasn’t been born who who cannot bend the 'just war" idea to support his war aims.
Instead of answering every war question by citing Jesus-driving-out-the-moneychangers or “just war” teaching," I wish there were some “preferential option for peace.”
While I admit that I love this song, I think it’s thoroughly heretical and blasphemous if taken in its original historical context and/or if used as a justification for actual warfare (as it originally was).Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord;
He is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored;
He hath loosed the fateful lightning of His terrible swift sword:
His truth is marching on.
Code:I have seen Him in the watch-fires of a hundred circling camps, They have builded Him an altar in the evening dews and damps; I can read His righteous sentence by the dim and flaring lamps: His day is marching on. I have read a fiery gospel writ in burnished rows of steel: "As ye deal with my contemners, so with you my grace shall deal; Let the Hero, born of woman, crush the serpent with his heel, Since God is marching on. He has sounded forth the trumpet that shall never call retreat; He is sifting out the hearts of men before His judgment-seat: Oh, be swift, my soul, to answer Him! be jubilant, my feet! Our God is marching on. In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea, With a glory in His bosom that transfigures you and me. As He died to make men holy, let us die to make men free, While God is marching on. He is coming like the glory of the morning on the wave, He is Wisdom to the mighty, He is Succour to the brave, So the world shall be His footstool, and the soul of Time His slave, Our God is marching on.
Amen to that.While I admit that I love this song, I think it’s thoroughly heretical and blasphemous if taken in its original historical context and/or if used as a justification for actual warfare (as it originally was).
Edwin
Without a doubt.Would it be ok to kill him?
Wasn’t the original context to rally the North and abolitionists to defeat the South?While I admit that I love this song, I think it’s thoroughly heretical and blasphemous if taken in its original historical context and/or if used as a justification for actual warfare (as it originally was).
Edwin
I’ve checked, and that seems to be absolutely correct.Wasn’t the original context to rally the North and abolitionists to defeat the South?
Yes. Exactly. It perverts the Gospel at nearly every level.Wasn’t the original context to rally the North and abolitionists to defeat the South?
I like the Battle Hymn of the Republic I find it a moving and spiritual.While I admit that I love this song, I think it’s thoroughly heretical and blasphemous if taken in its original historical context and/or if used as a justification for actual warfare (as it originally was).
Edwin
The Confederacy HAD to be defeated.Wasn’t the original context to rally the North and abolitionists to defeat the South?