I thought British were subjects not citizens.
The distinction is one that matters to Americans for some strange reason
So do you remain a subject and SERVE your queen or are you an American Citizen?
I am not willing to give up my British citizenship. My disagreement with American political principles has something to do with it.
If Scotland becomes independent next year, I’m not sure what will happen to my citizenship. I suppose I’ll automatically be English/UK since I was born there, but the British side of my family is Scottish (actually Shetland–Shetlanders only became part of Scotland in the 15th century and are still not sure what they think about that).
And…NO, I am not a Canadian. I’m an American.
Then why did your song talk about the Queen?
Oh, it was Mary you were talking about.
Light just dawned!
Much better (much as I love the Queen–the BVM is much more important and devotion to her much less likely to be idolatrous

).
That is the most moving and spiritually intrinsic line of the whole song. To call it blasphemous is …is…well its …unthinkable.
If you want to be on a discussion forum, you will probably find yourself pushed to think unthinkable thoughts from time to time.
You are welcome not to discuss with me, of course. But I think that all people, being created in God’s image, ought to be able to communicate rationally with each other, however great their differences.
PS.The author was actually a Unitarian…Really? Wow! I thought he was a protestant.
She was brought up Calvinist but, like a number of New England intellectuals in her day, became a
Unitarian as an adult. Whether we count Unitarians as Protestants are not is a matter of definition. I’d say that, like several other similar groups, they are more Protestant than they are Christian
Again, the poem moves me greatly too. But so does some Hindu devotional poetry. On the whole, I think it’s less clearly idolatrous to worship Krishna than to worship the state.
But then, you think taxation is theft, so shouldn’t you think the same thing? If the government has the same moral status as another private individual, how can the government ask you to kill for it?
Edwin