Christians Aren’t In Existential Despair If Biden Won, Because Government Isn’t Our God

• Thread starter Thread starter Cathoholic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cathoholic

Secular humanists cannot say this . . . (Which is WHY, the secular humanists will always take their politics, like Christian Conservatives take their religion. Because politics IS the religion of the secular humanists). . . .

Christians Aren’t In Existential Despair If Biden Won, Because Government Isn’t Our God

It is because we hope in an eternal savior that we joyfully continue our daily lives. We don’t need a week off of classes or work to mourn an election. Our daily joys have suffered no loss of meaning.

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

By Elle Reynolds

NOVEMBER 10, 2020

On Election Night, I was crowded around the television with a dozen college friends in a tiny apartment above our government professor’s house. . . .

. . . Because our hope is not in this world, we have no reason to be fearful. We may be disappointed and should be aware of policies that threaten our ability to live as we have been called. Yet we have no need to feel afraid, distraught, or betrayed. Any earthly idol would betray our trust.

It is because we hope in an eternal savior that we joyfully continue our daily lives. We don’t need a week off of classes or work to mourn an election. Our daily joys have suffered no loss of meaning.

We continue to enjoy fellowship with other members of the body of Christ. We keep going to work and serving those around us. We go on cooking dinner and enjoying it around the family dinner table. And we remain completely fulfilled by the daily grace of God.

Because of our faith, we know that politics isn’t everything (and thank God it isn’t). Our lives shouldn’t revolve around who sits in the Oval Office.

After all, the whole concept of government is merely a means to enable people to live well in community with each other. We cannot let the means become the end. Instead, we should continue to live full and fruitful lives with the people placed around us.

Furthermore, watching other reactions to election results reminds us how dangerous and disappointing it is to place our trust in fallen human beings.

A video of a woman screaming uncontrollably at Trump’s inauguration in 2016 became a meme because it captured the disconsolate reaction . . .

. . . Watching these reactions, we should not make a mockery of their joy or sorrow. We should, however, be inspired to share the promise that we have. After all, we are blessed with the confidence that politics is not our final hope. And we are called to live accordingly.

Excellent find. From the article:
But it does mean we have an excellent opportunity to live out our faith by remembering that we trust in something greater than elections. “Put not your trust in princes, in a son of man, in whom there is no salvation,” the psalmist says. “Blessed is he whose hope in is the Lord his God.”
I think that factionalism carries with it some idolatry as symptom. The author has wise words for us.

From my experience those that mention ‘secular humanism’ are usually on a path to start alleging that they are some kind of victim. The most famous mention of the term was merely an aside in a Supreme Court ruling.

Conservatives Christians, as a group, need to accept that America is a pluralistic society and that freedom of religion is for everyone. Stressing religious liberty is not attacking Christians or persecuting conservatives. Despite what is alleged.

Last edited:
Here is an important section on the topic from the New Testament:
Galatians 5:

16 So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 )For the flesh craves what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are opposed to each other, so that you do not do what you want. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

19The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity, and debauchery; 20 idolatry and sorcery; hatred, discord, jealousy, and rage, rivalries, divisions, factions, 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us walk in step with the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying one another.
Italics mine.

I congratulate you, @Cathoholic for presenting a thread that is not provocative, and that we can all agree with and see the wisdom of it.

OneSheep . . .
I congratulate you, @Cathoholic for presenting a thread that is not provocative . . .
A rather “provacative” personal statement.

Why not just stay on-topic instead of focusing on me personally?

We do, however, do some things that make people wonder - for instance these flags should be the other way around if God is more important than America, but this is the way I see them all around the South:

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

Why not just stay on-topic instead of focusing on me personally?
My apologies. I was so pleased to see your thread that I was expressing my gratitude.

You, like St. Paul, are being a peacemaker, focusing not on idols but on the center of our faith.

Excellent article. Do you see how the words from the letter to the Galatians fits right in to this topic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back