There are so many good points to quote here, glad I found this thread. In my hangouts I feel like I am alone for the most part in my thinking. Quite depressing.
I’m a non catholic and I think this Christmas sucks too. Part of it for some is more than likely due to the economy. In my area even the food banks are short on donations. On the news they were saying the same people who have donated for years are now coming for help.
And as for celebrating on another day? NO, no, no!!! Reclaim it! My gramps was military, and I’ve been sore tempted to use all the words he taught me too.

Yeah, what Sailor said!!!
We may indeed be in the end times, we may indeed be gleefully giving ourselves over to Satan’s pomps, but I’ll be ####ed if we yield Christmas to them.
This observation is spot on!:
But, there is definitely a different tone out there, and it’s not just commercialism. It’s like a strange, eery kind of quiet…like those movies where the ‘‘town forgot Christmas,’’ or something. Not sure if I’m alone in that sentiment.
Agreed, and could care less too if this sounds new age, THERE IS a heaviness in the air, a spiritual dirtying of the atmosphere!
I fully concur with you that Christmas has sadly lost the Christ for far too many people. It is but one of the many symptoms of a world grappling (and often succumbing to) Satan’s very real influence.
I do see it as a removal of Christ from Christmas. I’m sure all you guys heard about the little special needs boy in Massachusetts being expelled for a Jesus stick figure on a cross and being required to have a psych evaluation.
There are schools in every state who have done away with the Christmas programs or changed them to Winter celebrations.
One school district in Texas made the news for their removal of the word Christmas:
cbs11tv.com/local/christmas.carol.keller.2.1297825.html
From article:
This week, his choir teacher told the class they’d have to change the words of the song.
Instead of singing “I’ll be home for Christmas,” they’d have to sing “I’ll be home for winter.” And instead of singing the words “and presents under the tree,” they would have to sing "and presents just for me."
I agree with the poster about the joy and wonder of looking at it through the eyes of their toddler. My child is a 1st grader in public school, they are awed by it all. The lights, the music, etc…
I thought it would be fun for both of us now that they are in school. TBH I would have been happy even with Santa Claus. My child did not even get a Santa Claus, they came home with Strega Nona, the good Grandmother witch who flies down the chimney giving children gifts.
In the Christianized versions she is still a witch but they call her la Befana, (Epiphany). She is an Italian custom and there are many versions of the story. Though a few of my greats were pagans, I don’t remember her. In ancient days she was part of the Cult of the hearth,
stregheria.com/Befana.htm
I believe world history is important, but I do not like the fact that the Christmas witch was the focus. In my day I was raised around a lot of people from the Mideast. We all greeted each other on the Holidays, even with a merry Christmas, even if a Muslim or Jew. We knew about their customs but kept our own. They brought us sweet breads on the holiday, we gave their children little gifts for Ramadan, etc… There was a respect.
You do not have to lose your own culture and beliefs in order to understand the customs of others. I feel there is a campaign to eliminate the Christ in Christmas from the minds of the public. Reminded me of a line from a metal tune, ***Those who have the youth, have the future. ***
Le Befana/Strega Nona was confusing to a child that young, it was part of their cultural experience. I thought my child was telling me about the Christmas wish at first because of a missing tooth. But nope, I was told “She is a good witch who brings me presents!” They did a Christmas witch (craft) no pun intended, and wrote down on it what they wanted her to bring them. They also got a magic key though for those without chimneys. And for a reason I do not get yet, they put their fingerprints on it. Why did they have to participate in Strega Nona?? They acknowledged other holidays that occur during this time, but where is our Christmas!!! Some people think I am overreacting by being annoyed.
Well, at least my kid is fascinated with the Christmas angels and knows what they were announcing.
I should post a picture of their Christmas witch list. .