Christmas Typology

  • Thread starter Thread starter DianJo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DianJo

Guest
Hey everyone!
Y’all have helped me so much in the past when I needed info quickly so I thought I’d ask again.

I am doing a teaching on the Nativity for Life Night tonight and I can’t locate the typology that I’ve seen in past threads and, of course, didn’t think to save it. So…

Can someone post some OT typology on “Christmas,” i.e., Mary going to visit her cousin Elizabeth is related to David, and any other typologies they might know.

Also, someone once told me some things like: manger means to eat, that Bethlehem means House of Bread - those are so cool! Anyone know any others?

Thanks for your help!
 
I believe you mean genealogy and there are two of them, one at the beginning of the Gospel of Luke and the other at the beginning of the Gospel of Matthew. They are too lengthy to reproduce here.

Er, not to be rude or anything, but are you for real? :confused:
 
Hey everyone!
Y’all have helped me so much in the past when I needed info quickly so I thought I’d ask again.

I am doing a teaching on the Nativity for Life Night tonight and I can’t locate the typology that I’ve seen in past threads and, of course, didn’t think to save it. So…

Can someone post some OT typology on “Christmas,” i.e., Mary going to visit her cousin Elizabeth is related to David, and any other typologies they might know.

Also, someone once told me some things like: manger means to eat, that Bethlehem means House of Bread - those are so cool! Anyone know any others?

Thanks for your help!
This article addresses some of the typology in the Gospel of Matthew:

catholic.org/featured/headline.php?ID=1702

And this one looks at the typology found in Luke:

evangelical-catholicism.blogspot.com/2006/10/mary-in-bible-part-8.html
 
I believe you mean genealogy and there are two of them, one at the beginning of the Gospel of Luke and the other at the beginning of the Gospel of Matthew. They are too lengthy to reproduce here.

Er, not to be rude or anything, but are you for real? :confused:
She’s definitely for real. 🙂 She’s inquiring about typology (not genealogy), that is, those things in the OT that are seen as foreshadowing the fuller reality found in Christ. For example, when Mary visits Elizabeth, this is a fulfillment of David bringing the Ark of the Covenant to the house of Obed-Edom (which is a type of the visit the Virgin made to her cousin).
 
She’s definitely for real. 🙂 She’s inquiring about typology (not genealogy), that is, those things in the OT that are seen as foreshadowing the fuller reality found in Christ. For example, when Mary visits Elizabeth, this is a fulfillment of David bringing the Ark of the Covenant to the house of Obed-Edom (which is a type of the visit the Virgin made to her cousin).
No wonder I never heard of it. :rolleyes:
 
The links I provided - especially the 2nd one - would help you, then. 😉
I am well aware that Old Testament analogies go back to apostolic times. Systematically searching for new ones strikes me as about as sensible as the concept of The Bible Code. I don’t get the point. I’m sure someone could do the same with Shakespeare and the Bible (Hamlet dies and his best friend mourns and so does Jonathan) and it would prove just as useless an exercise.
 
I believe you mean genealogy and there are two of them, one at the beginning of the Gospel of Luke and the other at the beginning of the Gospel of Matthew. They are too lengthy to reproduce here.

Er, not to be rude or anything, but are you for real? :confused:
Oh but Yes - I am for real! I think you misunderstood - I’m looking for Typology - not geneology! I know of the geneologies you speak of and that’s not what I’m looking for. Thanks anyway.
 
She’s definitely for real. 🙂 She’s inquiring about typology (not genealogy), that is, those things in the OT that are seen as foreshadowing the fuller reality found in Christ. For example, when Mary visits Elizabeth, this is a fulfillment of David bringing the Ark of the Covenant to the house of Obed-Edom (which is a type of the visit the Virgin made to her cousin).
Yes, thank you - that’s exactly what I’m looking for!
 
I am well aware that Old Testament analogies go back to apostolic times. Systematically searching for new ones strikes me as about as sensible as the concept of The Bible Code. I don’t get the point. I’m sure someone could do the same with Shakespeare and the Bible (Hamlet dies and his best friend mourns and so does Jonathan) and it would prove just as useless an exercise.
No one is searching for “new ones.” These are established typologies seen throughout the centuries. I just couldn’t remember some specific ones and was asking for help remembering them.
Thanks.
 
No one is searching for “new ones.” These are established typologies seen throughout the centuries. I just couldn’t remember some specific ones and was asking for help remembering them. It helps us to understand the OT and how the old foreshadows the new.
Thanks.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top