D
DesertBrother
Guest
**
I ask you to keep me in your prayers.
**
You can be sure of that.![]()
**
I ask you to keep me in your prayers.
**
You can be sure of that.![]()
In reading your many posts and in reading a reply that was left to you by Ceil-1noma said:I am not looking for where I want to go. I am looking for where Christ wants me to be. Thus far, I think He is leading me toward the Orthodox Church. But I will rely on Him and His guidance.
I was reminded of a few quotes:Ceil-1 said:To be honest, you are coming off rather silly. You are putting your soul in danger, which may already be in mortal sin. It sounds like a temptation of the enemy.
I thank my father for the violent irrational beatings he gave me even though many stripes were given because he was frustrated and angry with my mother; becuse it taught me respect for authority. How ever I am gratefull to God and my mother for not allowing me to be infected by his distain for all females but thoese who gave him sexual pleasure. My mother I have to thank for my self loathing as she saw no good in men. So I hoist my Cross and pray for the assistance of ChristA father has rules and laws for his children and his household doesn’t he? Although his children in their immaturity might find the house rules cold and oppressive, the father’s motivation in making them is love and protection. If the children were capable of guiding themselves he wouldn’t have made them. And once the children have grown, they come to understand how wise and loving their father’s guidance was.
What you see now as oppressive ruIes (still quite early in your conversion), are the very things that helped make possible that joy you experienced early on. You were full of joy because you had submitted yourself in obedience to Christ’s Church. You had released yourself of the burden of figuring it all out with your own mortal mind. The minute you started analyzing everything according to the flesh, you stopped walking on the water.
I don’t see how that’s coming up here. Really, your disagreements with the Church have been fairly straightforward - women priests, contraception, etc. Those are arguments all on their own - but where is this morass of strictures and legislation and rules and laws?But the Roman Church itself, in its rules, its laws, its morass of strictures and legislation, I have found to be without love.
You’re speaking with someone raised in the byzantine tradition here, so my respect for the orthodox is considerable.Where is the morass?
From the Seven Ecumenical Councils I have an 800 page text going through each canon, with exposition and commentary.
But ultimately, the canons are not very long, and this with the synopsis of the Council of Jerusalem and canons of the Apostles does not make for very long reading. It is straight forward and sensible.
When looking, however, at all the encyclicals, the specifically Roman councils, the extra “ecumenical” councils, and all the rest, one is left with an exposition that would take thousands upon thousands of pages. And much of this is declared as doctrine.
But the principles of the Orthodox faith are few, and profound. The depth is unfathomable, the understanding would take a lifetime. But they look less like a morass of wires, and more like well-structured pillars, made with ordered patterns largely untouched by reason, but fully and deeply True.
Yes, Merry ChristMASS. Since your holiday is over in January, I assume you will celebrate Christ’s Mass on December 25th. You do realize that December 25th as the date to celebrate Christ’s birth is not in the Bible, right? In fact, by celebrating on the 25th of December you are giving tacit approval of Papal authority since, of course, the Church decided the date on which Christmas would be celebrated.I will be on holiday.
Thank everyone for their responses; I will not be posting until January.
God bless, and merry Christmas!
I thought these heresies were around before the canon of scripture was defined. Didn’t these heresies have writings that supported them? I know at least the Gnostic heresy had actual Gospel’s that described things like Jesus bringing clay birds to life and killing children who annoyed him. I also heard the other day there was a Gospel of Phillip that claimed Joseph was Jesus father.Gnosticism is directly attacked in Scripture in Timothy.
From John 1:1, as well as many other places, Arius is refuted.
The majority of Catholic Answers seems to accept that these heresies were dealt with strongly in Scripture.
However, as I am leaning away from the the thesis of this thread (I was likely wrong, and shown to be so here), and as I am leaning toward accepting the authority of the first seven councils (I am leaning toward Orthodoxy), that right there would be sufficient for refutation.