Church Bells

• Thread starter Thread starter Timidity
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have old fashion bell with a rope that the altar server rings before Mass. The rope almost pulls the kid up into the tower. I’m afraid someday we might have to get a ladder to retrieve a kid.

Deacon Tony

We have an electronic Carilon system, which plays a tape for the hours of the Angelus and 5 minutes before each mass. We also have a set of triditional brass bells (2 bells) which we ring on Holy Thursday and at the Easter Vigil, during the Gloria.

Our church has the nice bells up in the bell tower being hit by a hammer… that is being controlled electronically…

They are rung at the following times:

-Every quarter hour, to tell the time and remind us that we are always praying.
  • 6:05 a.m., 12:05 p.m., and 6:05 p.m. To pray the angelus. (Moved back 5 minutes so as to not interrupt the normal 6 oclock hour ringing.)
  • The Gloria during Easter Vigil and Holy Thursday
  • During the consecration at Sunday mass
  • Funeral Toll
  • 15 minutes before every mass
  • When neighborhood kids like myself crawl up into the belltower and ring them with sticks.
I think that’s all of them. 🙂
Josh

I wrote before that our electronically controlled bells were broken. When the Pope died our bishop asked all parishes to ring their bells I think on the day of the funeral, again when the new pope was elected and the day of the diocesan Mass in celebration of his installation. So our pastor found an electrician who has been around the parish for a long time, remembers how the bells operate and got them to work. They now ring at 6 am, noon and 6 pm (not midnight) and before each Mass. Nice to have church bells, especially as we are close to the center of town.

40.png
puzzleannie:
I wrote before that our electronically controlled bells were broken. … So our pastor found an electrician who has been around the parish for a long time, remembers how the bells operate and got them to work.
Woohoo–congrats on the once again working bells!

40.png
tee_eff_em:
My parish has bells (an amplified electronic carillion, if I’ve named the technology correctly (from the Verdin Company)), and living around the corner, I can tell you they ring:
  • 5 minutes before Mass
  • Noon and 6pm Angelus (but not 6am)
  • Funeral dirges
  • During the *Gloria *on Holy Thursday and Easter Vigil
  • Some weddings request them, I think
  • We have programmed tapes to control Christmas Music and Patriotic Music on appropriate holidays
tee
Our old carillon irreparably broke down and was replaced a few weeks ago with the Verdin Singing Tower Classic Carillon. It sounds sweet.

It still rings at the same time, plus a random hymn or two following eg Angelus. (Seasonal Christmas hymns at the moment)

tee

I know mine does it about 5 minutes before Mass and for the Noon Angelus. I do not know of any other times. Of course, I have only been in this parish 7 months.

PF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back