Church history books, looking for comparison

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rocks_91
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rocks_91

Guest
I’m onto choosing a book to read on church history and while I found threads with lists of books on church history like John Laux and Crocker, I didn’t find a comparison review on what each book’s strong points are. I actually want to know which book is more informative while being a pleasant, easy read. I want the book to have a lot of gossip and information that people ordinarily don’t tell you. I’m not looking at multi-volume histories, for now. So I prefer a big book, but a single volume. Thanks if anyone can help.
 
I’m onto choosing a book to read on church history and while I found threads with lists of books on church history like John Laux and Crocker, I didn’t find a comparison review on what each book’s strong points are. I actually want to know which book is more informative while being a pleasant, easy read. I want the book to have a lot of gossip and information that people ordinarily don’t tell you. I’m not looking at multi-volume histories, for now. So I prefer a big book, but a single volume. Thanks if anyone can help.
Laux’s book is bigger and probably covers more details, but it can be a bit dry. It only goes through 1940 or so (when it was written).

Crocker’s book is an easier read, though he does tend to employ a large vocabulary. I know when my Mom read it, she had to keep a dictionary near by. 😛 But he does write with more panache. Even though his book is shorter, I’d almost say he goes into more detail on certain things.

It’s been awhile since I looked at either book. Hopefully I’m remembering correctly. :o
 
Laux’s book is bigger and probably covers more details, but it can be a bit dry. It only goes through 1940 or so (when it was written).

Crocker’s book is an easier read, though he does tend to employ a large vocabulary. I know when my Mom read it, she had to keep a dictionary near by. 😛 But he does write with more panache. Even though his book is shorter, I’d almost say he goes into more detail on certain things.

It’s been awhile since I looked at either book. Hopefully I’m remembering correctly. :o
Do you know about John Vidmar, O.P.'s book? It seems to have some rave reviews. I’m deciding between Vidmar and Crocker. So confusing.
 
Do you know about John Vidmar, O.P.'s book? It seems to have some rave reviews. I’m deciding between Vidmar and Crocker. So confusing.
Unfortunately, I am not familiar with that one, so I cannot comment on it. It’s better to have too many books to choose from than too few, I suppose. :o
 
I’ve bought the Crocker book for Kindle. 🙂 Though, I almost didn’t want to get this book because some say Crocker is a bit biased, and he can never see any wrong with the Church. But I gave in because his book is so highly recommended on CAF threads.
 
I’ve bought the Crocker book for Kindle. 🙂 Though, I almost didn’t want to get this book because some say Crocker is a bit biased, and he can never see any wrong with the Church. But I gave in because his book is so highly recommended on CAF threads.
Let us know how you like it. 🙂
 
Let us know how you like it. 🙂
I read the first seven chapters, and what you said is right… the author uses a too-large vocabulary, big words, some of which aren’t even in my Kindle’s dictionary, sometimes archaic words, very often it interrupts the narrative flow. I found the introduction engaging and thought I would like the book, but later on, I just found myself staring with glazy eyes, reading along, but not comprehending a thing. What a confused piece of writing. Thankfully, I found that Amazon accepts returns within 7-days, and even though I didn’t have a wi-fi connection that my Kindle could use, they promptly processed the refund, and told me to just delete the book. Great, now I’m expecting my money back in a few days. 😃 Now to research on what other book will suit me better.
 
I read the first seven chapters, and what you said is right… the author uses a too-large vocabulary, big words, some of which aren’t even in my Kindle’s dictionary, sometimes archaic words, very often it interrupts the narrative flow. I found the introduction engaging and thought I would like the book, but later on, I just found myself staring with glazy eyes, reading along, but not comprehending a thing. What a confused piece of writing. Thankfully, I found that Amazon accepts returns within 7-days, and even though I didn’t have a wi-fi connection that my Kindle could use, they promptly processed the refund, and told me to just delete the book. Great, now I’m expecting my money back in a few days. 😃 Now to research on what other book will suit me better.
Sorry the book didn’t work out for you, but at least Amazon gave you a refund.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top