Church in the New Testament

  • Thread starter Thread starter rivera01
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Our LORD Jesus Christ gave these apostles of the circumcision great authority to perform miracles. These were authenticating “signs” to the “sign people” Israel [The Jews require a sign – 1 Cor. 1:22]. By way of contrast, the dispensation of the grace of God [Eph. 3:2] is a sign-less age. In this dispensation we, “Walk by faith, not by sight” [2 Cor. 5:7].
This imaginary, incongruous dispensation of yours is “a sign-less age”? Really? Then why does the Bible record many miraculous signs done by the Apostle you hope to kidnap as the spokesperson of “this dispensation”? We know, obviously (since your own positive claims logically lead to it and since you’ve never denied it), that everything you say about Biblical interpretation is merely a guess backed by absolutely no assurance of Truth, but I’m nonetheless truly shocked, not just by your ability to extrapolate wildly from what you read in the Bible, but far moreso by your ability to completely ignore what is plainly written there.

Why should we listen to anything you, a fallible person who cannot logically even believe that everything he/she says about theology/ecclesiology is correct, when your own claims pattently contradict the word of God? If Paul’s alternate dispensation is “sign-less,” then why does God Himself claim the exact opposite of what you just claimed? You say, “[Paul’s] dispensation of the grace of God [Eph. 3:2] is a sign-less age.” Yet Acts 14:3 says, “And the Lord proved their [Paul and Barnabus’] message was true by giving them power to do miraculous signs and wonders.” I’m a little confused here, Cat. Should we believe you? Or… should we believe God? Are you more trustworthy than the God of the universe?

I’m willing to suppose that you’ll claim that this was the conveniently nebulous “transitional period” that allows God to contradict you by showing the radical continuity between Paul’s message and the message of all the other Apostles without you having to pay any heed to God’s own proof that you’re wrong since the “transitional period” can no doubt be expanded to last from the Ascention of Christ to the death of Paul in Rome if need be, but I’d remind you that the verse singles out Paul and Barnabus, whom you’ve claimed are the Apostles solely of your “dispensation of grace” and not of anything else, “giving them power to do miraculous signs and wonders” to prove their message, not anyone else’s. So, if God proved that their message is true by performing miracles through them, Cat, why doesn’t He perform miracles through you or anyone who shares your message?

Once again, Cat, you force us, by your own short-sightedness, to confront the many logical inconsistencies in your beliefs and conclude because of them that you are wrong. You come to a Catholic forum proclaiming this new gospel, this wild innovation, as though it were God’s own Truth, yet neither you nor God gives us any reason to believe that what you say has any measure of Truth in it. God tells us, in His Word, that miracles are given to prove that what His prophets say is true, yet you perform no miracles. You act as though your word is the very Word of God, yet you simultaneously claim that no one, not even you, is infallible. Why should we listen to you, Cat? Neither you nor God backs up anything you say with any kind of proof. You give us 0% assurance that what you say is true, and you tell us that no one, not even God, can or will verify it for us by any means beyond reminding us of that assurance of absolute uncertainty. Please, Cat, tell us why anything you believe should matter to a single person other than you? You claim indefatiguable fallibility while assuring us that neither you nor anyone who believes what you believe can perform miracles. You basically come here to tell us that interpretation is just a game of Russian roulette with eternal consequences.

If you have any hope of “saving” any of us who reject your interpretation from our “evil,” yet pattently Christian, religion, tell us this one thing: why should we leave a Church that gives us assurance of Truth, a Church that had borne the witness of countless miracles from the days of the Apostles down through this very moment, and instead fly to a “non-religion” utterly devoid of God’s own miraculous witness endowed only with the promise of total confusion and conjecture when it comes to what is Truth?

I challenge you to follow the evidence: look at which Church *does *claim infallibility and thus can give us assurance of Truth, and then look at which Church God Himself has given His unbroken witness to by giving it the power to perform miraculous signs and wonders even to this very age. God just recently healed a Catholic nun of Parkinson’s Disease through the intercession of Pope John Paul II. Parkinson’s is incurable, Cat. Yet non-Catholic medical professionals have affirmed both that this woman had Parkinson’s and is now completely cured of Parkinson’s. And this is just one of thousands upon thousands - perhaps even millions - of miracles performed throughout the entire history of the Cahtolic Church by Catholics who were alive at the time and also through the efficatious intercession of Catholics who had died and gone to heaven. To borrow the words of Acts 14:3, I dare say that “the Lord prove [our] message [is] true by giving [us] power to do miraculous signs and wonders.” Can you say any of these things about your non-religion?
 
Grace and Peace, unto you!
QC
Again, you attempt to withdraw? Why? Because you cannot face the fact that your theology is contrary to logic? contrary even to itself? I too wish you grace and peace, but I wonder if you’ve ever really recognized them. When I was a Protestant, I’d heard the term “grace” many times, but I never really knew what it was. Grace is the gift of God to overcome the power of sin and thus to give us power to do God’s will. I dare say it is a far more real, far more powerful, spiritual substance that you have ever conceived it to be. I sincerely hope and pray that God will pour out His grace upon you so that you might overcome the chains of slavery imposed on you by a false theology of confusion, Truthlessness, and schizophrenia. Peace is the contentment and joy that comes from abiding in the will of God. I pray that, until you are freed from the confusion of the theology you’ve been pulled down into, you do not find peace so that you will be spurred on by discontentment and the grace of God to seek after the real Truth of God, the fullness of the Truth of God. Only when you have found Truth will you know peace, and only when you have found Truth will you be filled with every grace that God holds in store for you, waiting to pour them upon you through the power of His Sacraments.
 
Mr. Tib: Thanks for your good wishes! I appreciate the good wishes and right back atcha! I have a peace and joy in my heart that is beyond describing. I know that I am saved and secure and complete in my LORD Jesus Christ. I know, with absolute certainty, that I have a heavenly home [Phil. 3:20] with my LORD and Savior, the LORD Jesus Christ [2 Cor. 5:8]. Grace and Peace,
QC [Ambassador for the LORD Jesus Christ]
 
Really, QC? Are you even more sure than Paul was? “I do not even judge myself. I am not aware of anything against myself, but I am not thereby acquitted. It is the Lord who judges me. Therefore do not pronounce judgment before the time, before the Lord comes, who will bring to light the things now hidden in darkness and will disclose the purposes of the heart” (I Cor 4:3-5). “Do you not know that in a race all the runners compete, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. Well, I do not run aimlessly, I do not box as one beating the air; but I pommel my body and subdue it, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified” (I Cor 9:24-27).

Even though he did not know of anything against him, he dared not say, “I know that I am saved,” but rather humbled himself and acknowledged that God would judge the state of his soul at the end of time. If you have absolute certainty, then you must be deluding yourself, for you have not yet earned the prize, “you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood” (Heb 12:4). Have you attained perfection? Do you live completely without sin of any kind? Have you pommeled your body and subdued it, lest you be disqualified? For Paul warns us, “See to it that no one fail to obtain the grace of God; that no ‘root of bitterness’ spring up and cause trouble, and by it the many become defiled; that no one be immoral or irreligious like Esau, who sold his birthright for a single meal. For you know that afterward, when he desired to inherit the blessing, he was rejected, for he found no chance to repent, though he sought it with tears” (Heb 12:15-17). Have you not repeatedly claimed that you are irreligious, despite Paul’s warning? Have you not rejected the very thing that Paul demands you live out?

God is not inconsistent in anything. Why are you? Why do you maintain the most profound inconsistencies in those very things that matter most?? If you claim to be of God, then why does it not bother you in the slightest that the lies of Satan slip into your own mind as easily as a strand of cat hair attaches itself to a piece of clothing? If you must not be immoral or irreligious, then why do you not scour your own heart to be sure you have rid yourself of all immorality and your deeds to be sure that you follow every religious requirement set in front of you by the Lord your God?

Tell me the truth, Cat, does the thought not nag at you when you pray for forgiveness for every “sin which clings so closely” (Heb 12:1), “am I really forgiven? am I contrite enough to be acquitted? or does God demand more of me?” I know that before I gained access through Confirmation to the Sacrament of Confession, I never once had true, abiding assurance of forgiveness deep within my soul; I never had “the inner witness of the Holy Spirit that my sins had been forgiven.” In fact no one I’ve ever asked in any Protestant denomination has ever admitted to having that “inner witness.” Do you know why you don’t have peace in that area, Cat? It’s because, if your sin was willfully committed and you knew it was a sin while you did it, you cannot be forgiven unless you have absolutely perfect contrition, and even then you must long for the opportunity to give the truest Confession possible as soon as humanly possible. But if you are ever nonchalant about your sins when ask God to forgive them, you cannot be forgiven outside the Sacraments. That is why, no matter how many times you confess the very same sin, even if the last time you did it was months ago, you never that you’ve confessed it enough.

You say you have peace, but do you really? Has nothing I’ve asked you which you could not answer laid the seed of concern within you that perhaps you have been deceived? You claim that you cannot know that anything you’ve learned or believed could be backed up by the gift of infallibility. Is that not a terrifying thought to you?? You’ve admitted that nothing you believe is proven True by the miraculous witness of God Almighty. Is that not utterly horrifying, Cat?? Yours is a recipe for doubt and a dark end, my brother. Come to the Church that Christ founded which has been given the power to forgive and to retain sins. No one in your non-religion (or should I say “irreligion”?) has that power, yet without it you cannot be sure you’ve been forgiven. In the Catholic Church, there is profound grace that accompanies every Sacrament. And in the Confessional there is not just grace to know that we have been eternally forgiven - I know it because I’ve felt it! - but there is also grace and power to overcome sin, even that “sin which clings so closely”! I struggled with the same sin for a decade and a half, longing with all my heart to stop committing it, profusely begging God to give me the strength to resist every single time, but I was never able… until I entered the Catholic Church. Then, after my first Sacramental Confession, it has never again been a struggle. Where before, I could hadlt go two weeks without committing it, I now have slipped up only once in over 3 years, and that only because I was not trying to resist! Do you not long for that same kind of freedom!?! Now that I have received the grace of the Sacrament of Confession, I have only to resist with the smallest portion of my will, and there is no longer even a desire to commit that sin which previously had complete mastery over my will and my body. Can you say the same of your private confession in the darkness of your room? Have you truly been released from the grip of sin? Or are you still in bondage?
 
Am I really alone. I believe it is a divine realization. The church was and is and will ever be in our souls. Its never been just a building,I believe the apostles just knew that.
 
QuickCat
I know that I am saved and secure and complete in my LORD Jesus Christ.
Unfortunately, that is NOT Christ’s teaching – no one is so misled by Him – they have to be deceived into thinking like that. We don’t achieve salvation in one fell swoop by accepting Christ as our personal saviour as some are misled to feel.

We cannot be saved without our cooperation up to our death; we have been REDEEMED until then. This is at the heart of salvation for everyone. “Work out your own salvation in fear and trembling.” (Phil 2:12).

As taught by St Paul, for our salvation, what is lacking is what only we can do, for the sake of His Body which is the Church; there is nothing lacking in Christ’s redemptive passion and crucifixion which has enabled the possibility of our salvation. How could there be? But, Christ was acting for the whole human race, not instead of, not as a substitute. “He bore our sins in His own Body on the Cross.” (1Pet. 2:29).

So, what did Paul say must happen because Christ is the one mediator? “Supplication, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all men” (1Tim 2:1-5). Thus we are all called to be co-redeemers. [See *Christ In Eclipse, Frank Sheed, Sheed & Ward, 1978, p 105-108).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top