Church position on Catholics who convert to Orthodox

  • Thread starter Thread starter Whitney
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Whitney

Guest
I attend an Eastern Orthodox parish that has many Catholic converts to Orthodoxy as members. I have been wondering what is the Catholic Church’s stance on these individuals? The Catholic Church seems to have a very positive view of the Orthodox I have gathered from these forums, believing they have valid sacraments etc. But my understanding from the Catholic Answers show would lead me to believe they think they are damned for sure for becoming Orthodox. Which I find very confusing? Thanks for your insight!
 
They would have become schismatics and heretics, which is a sin. Whether or not they will be damned for it is knowledge only Christ knows.
 
I attend an Eastern Orthodox parish that has many Catholic converts to Orthodoxy as members. I have been wondering what is the Catholic Church’s stance on these individuals? The Catholic Church seems to have a very positive view of the Orthodox I have gathered from these forums, believing they have valid sacraments etc. But my understanding from the Catholic Answers show would lead me to believe they think they are damned for sure for becoming Orthodox. Which I find very confusing? Thanks for your insight!
Schism is a grave matter and could constitute a mortal sin (with full knowledge and reflection). Under certain conditions an automatic excommunication occurs for a Latin Catholic, but for eastern Catholic a major excommunication may occur.

Catechism of the Catholic Church
1861 Mortal sin is a radical possibility of human freedom, as is love itself. It results in the loss of charity and the privation of sanctifying grace, that is, of the state of grace. If it is not redeemed by repentance and God’s forgiveness, it causes exclusion from Christ’s kingdom and the eternal death of hell, for our freedom has the power to make choices for ever, with no turning back. However, although we can judge that an act is in itself a grave offense, we must entrust judgment of persons to the justice and mercy of God.
Eastern Canon Law
Canon 1437 One who refuses subjection to the supreme authority of the Church, or who subject to it refuses communion with the Christian faithful, though legitimately admonished does not obey, is to be punished as a schismatic with a major excommunication.
Latin Canon Law
Can. 1364 §1. Without prejudice to the prescript of ⇒ can. 194, §1, n. 2, an apostate from the faith, a heretic, or a schismatic incurs a latae sententiae excommunication; in addition, a cleric can be punished with the penalties mentioned in ⇒ can. 1336, §1, nn. 1, 2, and 3.
§2. If contumacy of long duration or the gravity of scandal demands it, other penalties can be added, including dismissal from the clerical state.
 
I would imagine it would be considered a sin in Catholicism, as it would also be in Orthodoxy.
 
They would have become schismatics and heretics, which is a sin.
Orthodox are not seen as heretics by the Catholic Church. The Catholic Church sees the Orthodox as “sister Churches” and true particular Churches with apostolic succession and the Eucharist.

ZP
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top