C
CutlerB
Guest
Dear friends,
I’m discussing the use of the term “Catholic” with someone whose position is the following. It may be important to know that we are both Germans.
Her position:
“Catholic” means “universal”, as opposed to “Roman Catholic” which refers to the Church under the Pope. Even Bach writes “unam …] catholicam” in his works, and he certainly wasn’t Roman Catholic.
That was her reply to my initial statement which can be summarised as this:
The term “Catholic” rightly belongs to us Catholics in union with the Pope, and no one else. The term “Roman Catholic” is only used in two senses: First, the liturgical sense, which distinguished the Latin Rite from, say, Greek Catholics, Maronites or any other Eastern Rite. The second sense is employed by Protestants who seek to hook themselves onto the Creeds’ identification of the Church as “Catholic” and who see the Church under the Pope as merely another manifestation of the same.
Now, first of all, perhaps some of you can let me know whether what I described as my position above is in accord with Catholic teaching, which I hope it is, but please let me know if I’m wrong on something.
Secondly, are there any Church documents that provide an explanation of the term Catholic? Say, a Council identified the Church under the Pope expressly as “the Catholic Church”, so as to distinguish other groups, oder some encyclical makes the Catholic usage of the term clear?
Do let me know if you need any more information.
Thanks!
I’m discussing the use of the term “Catholic” with someone whose position is the following. It may be important to know that we are both Germans.
Her position:
“Catholic” means “universal”, as opposed to “Roman Catholic” which refers to the Church under the Pope. Even Bach writes “unam …] catholicam” in his works, and he certainly wasn’t Roman Catholic.
That was her reply to my initial statement which can be summarised as this:
The term “Catholic” rightly belongs to us Catholics in union with the Pope, and no one else. The term “Roman Catholic” is only used in two senses: First, the liturgical sense, which distinguished the Latin Rite from, say, Greek Catholics, Maronites or any other Eastern Rite. The second sense is employed by Protestants who seek to hook themselves onto the Creeds’ identification of the Church as “Catholic” and who see the Church under the Pope as merely another manifestation of the same.
Now, first of all, perhaps some of you can let me know whether what I described as my position above is in accord with Catholic teaching, which I hope it is, but please let me know if I’m wrong on something.
Secondly, are there any Church documents that provide an explanation of the term Catholic? Say, a Council identified the Church under the Pope expressly as “the Catholic Church”, so as to distinguish other groups, oder some encyclical makes the Catholic usage of the term clear?
Do let me know if you need any more information.