O
o_senhor_falado
Guest
I was recently reading through the catechism and came across the section on the church’s relationship to muslims. It quotes Lumen Gentium: “The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator. In the first place amongst these there are the Muslims, who, professing to hold the faith of Abraham, along with us adore the one and merciful God, who on the last day will judge mankind.”
I understand that this passage is merely pointing out that Muslims should be commended for acknowledging the Creator, but since when do Catholics believe that Christians and Muslims worship the same God? I’m quite unsettled by the Church’s apparent “softness” toward Islam, but I suppose from a practical viewpoint, the Church wants to mitigate historical tensions between the two religions; however, how can we not call out Islam for what it is, a religion centered on violent conquest that is at odds with Western civilization?
I understand that this passage is merely pointing out that Muslims should be commended for acknowledging the Creator, but since when do Catholics believe that Christians and Muslims worship the same God? I’m quite unsettled by the Church’s apparent “softness” toward Islam, but I suppose from a practical viewpoint, the Church wants to mitigate historical tensions between the two religions; however, how can we not call out Islam for what it is, a religion centered on violent conquest that is at odds with Western civilization?