Circumcision in Acts 15 and 16

  • Thread starter Thread starter PLeeD
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PLeeD

Guest
I’m reading Acts. Chapter 15 is one of my favorite parts of the bible. I just noticed that immediately following the resolution in Acts 15 that circumcision and most other parts of the law are no longer required, in Acts 16 Paul has Timothy circumcised.

Why?
 
If you read carefully, you will see that the people Paul and Timothy wanted to give the Gospel message to would not listen because they knew Timothy wasn’t circumcised. In this case, the circumcision was performed, not out of any “obligation” to the law, but out of love for these people. Once Timothy was circumcised, they were able to preach the Gospel without any further complaints from the audience.

Hope this helps!

Pax!
 
I did notice that Timothy is half Jewish. The letter to Antioch was regarding requirement only on gentiles. I suppose that is the reason? If Timothy were fully gentile then no circumcision would have been performed.

I do see your point that the intent was not to seek righteousness in the law, but to better be able to teach among the Jews.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top