Clarification on detraction/calumny

• Thread starter Thread starter Larquetta
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Larquetta

When is detraction a mortal sin? For instance, is it a mortal sin to say that someone was fired from their job? Or is it only mortally sinful in more serious instances?

I would get a catechism. Short of that, I would get a really good Examination of Conscience. The sins are enumerated. As I understand it:

Calumny is false - lies.
Detraction is the revelation of a hidden truth, but done with malice so as to harm the other person.

In either case, confess confess confess. Father can offer guidance but the standard rules of sin prevail:
  1. Serious matter
  2. Knowledge that it is serious
  3. Full consent of your will in committing the sin.
I would make an act of contrition, call Father and make it official. As to Examinations of Conscience, the best I have found recently is:

For instance, is it a mortal sin to say that someone was fired from their job?
Depends.

Joe calls you and says “I was fired, will you enlist people to pray for me?”

You tell people “Joe was fired, will you pray for him and let him know if you hear of any open jobs!”

on the other hand

You know Joe was fired and you just go and carelessly broadcast it to your friends when it is not your story to tell

OR

Your friend Jane says “I have an opening for an assistant! I am calling Joe to see if he wants that job.” and you respond “Well, Jane, you do know he was fired from his last job” attempting to sway her not to hire him.

Sins of the tongue primarily derive their sinfulness from the intention you have, not the words themselves, sometimes from the due need to advert to foreseeable consequences outside one’s intention (such as scandal).

Serious dishonoring of someone can be mortal sin… and it is made worse by various factors, such as revealing something secret, or doing it in front of a large crowd, or due to the person having some special claim on our respect (father, king, priest, etc.), or what have you. Otherwise, it could be venial sin or even no sin at all. You might find St. Thomas’ treatment of “extra-judicial verbal injury” to be helpful (Questions 72-74 especially):

https://www.newadvent.org/summa/3.htm

In any event, if this is something you are wondering about for your own sake, make a good act of contrition anyway!

Last edited:
It really depends on the circumstances… the priest hopefully will know better when confessing it to him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back