Clarification on Mary's virginity

  • Thread starter Thread starter jsaldar
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jsaldar

Guest
Not that I am saying she was not a virgin all of her life. I came across Mathew 1:23 this morning. Please help me interpret what is meant when saying Joseph didn’t know her UNTIL she had borne a son.

“Behold, a virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and his name shall be Emmanuel. When Joseph woke from sleep; he did as the angel of the Lord commanded him; he took his wife, but knew her not until she had borne a son and he called his name Jesus”

Thanks
 
Not that I am saying she was not a virgin all of her life. I came across Mathew 1:23 this morning. Please help me interpret what is meant when saying Joseph didn’t know her UNTIL she had borne a son.

“Behold, a virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and his name shall be Emmanuel. When Joseph woke from sleep; he did as the angel of the Lord commanded him; he took his wife, but knew her not until she had borne a son and he called his name Jesus”

Thanks
Please see #3 at this site, it’s a Hebrew grammatical thing.

catholic.com/thisrock/2000/0007sbs.asp
 
Not that I am saying she was not a virgin all of her life. I came across Mathew 1:23 this morning. Please help me interpret what is meant when saying Joseph didn’t know her UNTIL she had borne a son.

“Behold, a virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and his name shall be Emmanuel. When Joseph woke from sleep; he did as the angel of the Lord commanded him; he took his wife, but knew her not until she had borne a son and he called his name Jesus”

Thanks
We see the bolded part in the same understanding as this:

[BIBLEDRB]2 Samuel 6:23[/BIBLEDRB]

The word unto in other Bibles is translated as “until”. We can be pretty confident that Michal had no children after she died.

This Catholic Answers article explains the matter more deeply:

catholic.com/thisrock/2000/0007sbs.asp
 
Matt 22:43 He saith unto them, How then doth David in spirit call him Lord, saying,44 The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool?

Luke 22:69 Hereafter shall the Son of man sit on the right hand of the power of God.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top