Clerical narcissism

  • Thread starter Thread starter puppson
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
does the non-existence of this attraction in asexual men (men who do not experience sexual feelings) also “obscure” this symbolism?
I don’t know, but I do remember watching a really interesting TV documentary about the life of Sister Wendy. She was sometimes surprisingly plain speaking, and she said that she had never had any kind of sexual attractions or desires. It was, for some reason, just something that was apparently completely missing from her. You would think that this would be something of a bonus for a hermit and consecrated virgin (originally a religious sister), but on the contrary, she said that it was something that she really regretted. Her reasoning was that for most people who have a calling to celibacy it’s a huge sacrifice, whereas for her, she didn’t have anything to give up for Jesus, it wasn’t something that she could give as an offering. And I suppose this does make sense. It’s not really a sacrifice to give up something you never wanted anyway. There are some things in which I have never had any interest—things I’d actually choose to avoid—such as driving a car or visiting Australia. I guess if the Church started up a religious lifestyle whose only vows were never to drive a car and never to visit Australia I’d probably think, ‘Hmm, that just sounds a little bit too easy for me.’ Sister Wendy was clearly a very holy woman, but she also seemed to be somebody whose vocation perfectly matched her personality. She didn’t seem to like to go to a lot of different places (for example, she visited Egypt to study some art in a museum, but didn’t go to see the pyramids when she was there). She also didn’t seem to like a lot of human companionship. And she also didn’t seem to want any possessions other than books.
 
does the non-existence of this attraction in asexual men (men who do not experience sexual feelings) also “obscure” this symbolism?
I also read one time (sorry, can’t find the source) that Pope John XXIII said he had never committed a sin against purity. I wonder if he, too, might have been asexual.

Asexual people would have a much easier time discerning a vocation to the priestly or religious life than the typical person does.
 
How is this squared with the growing number of married priests (usually non-Catholic ministers of the gospel who have converted)
Surely there can’t be many of these indults? Does anyone here know any married (Roman Rite) Catholic priests?
 
Last edited:
How is this squared with the growing number of married priests (usually non-Catholic ministers of the gospel who have converted)
Insults? Do you mean to say “indults”?

I know of several, and know two personally. One, a former Episcopal priest, baptized my son. Another started out as an Orthodox priest, then became an Episcopalian, and then finally became a Catholic priest of one of the Eastern rites. I think the latter one has bi-ritual faculties.
 
Last edited:
I know of several, and know two personally.
That’s very interesting. Denmark is very small when it comes to Catholics (and in general, really) but I don’t know if this is common in Europe at all. Of course most of the foreign priests I know are traditionalists, so my perspective is probably skewed.
 
From what I can read, there used to be one married Catholic priest in Denmark. (The article doesn’t say if he has passed away or retired from active service due to age but it is likely.) In Norway and Sweden (together) there are less than 10 married Catholic priests in the Roman rite. Those priests would be converts to the Catholic Church. I know 2 of them.

One reason I can think of why there are so few is because there are so few priests/pastors who convert each year. In Sweden, there is maybe a couple each year and most of the priests and pastors convert after they have “reached the age of 65 and/or officially retired from work” in their own ecclesial denominations. Salaries are much higher within those than within the Catholic Church. It is also the matter of making money for retirement. Then there is the waiting period of three years before they can start formation as a Catholic priest and 3-4 years of complimentary studies before they can be ordained. Some of the pastor/priest converts are also women so they will have to find some other job if they aren’t retired.

About 50% of the Catholic priests in Sweden are members of religious orders. 20-30% of the active priests are either born in Sweden or arrived when they were children and grew up here. The rest are from countries where our Catholics come from. I asked a lady some years ago, who I knew was familiar with the diocese and she started counting them by name. 🤣

Morten: Even though the Diocese of Copenhagen is very small in number of Catholics, it is the largest one in the world in square kilometres. There is lots more space for Catholics there. 🤣
 
Morten: Even though the Diocese of Copenhagen is very small in number of Catholics, it is the largest one in the world in square kilometres. There is lots more space for Catholics there. 🤣
If anyone’s got excess Catholics, please refer them to Greenland. Plenty of space. 😂
In general, very interesting. I had literally no idea it was such a common occurrence. Anyway, I know of one priest in Denmark who has an adult daughter. I don’t think he’s married, though.
Are you from Sweden?
 
Swedish.

The bishop could find a priest with a pilot´s licence and an airplane and send him to Greenland as that seems to be the easiest way to travel around and celebrate the Sacraments. 🤣

The priest´s wife could have passed away. He wouldn’t be allowed to marry after being ordained though.
 
The bishop could find a priest with a pilot´s licence and an airplane and send him to Greenland as that seems to be the easiest way to travel around and celebrate the Sacraments.
Now I’m imagining a priest just flying over Greenland dropping the Eucharist in tiny parachutes to the faithful. 😂😭
The priest´s wife could have passed away. He wouldn’t be allowed to marry after being ordained though.
Yeah. I think he was never married, however. But it’s all hearsay about an otherwise very good and holy priest.
 
Can’t imagine the logistics of being a traveling priest to Greenland. Just flying over the island in a jet takes forever!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top