Columbus Ohio

• Thread starter Thread starter AlwaysCatholic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AlwaysCatholic

I have a friend working in Columbus Ohio temporarily and is looking for a church for Sunday Mass which is totally orthodox, faithful to the Magisterium, with no abuses during the Mass. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

I have a friend working in Columbus Ohio temporarily and is looking for a church for Sunday Mass which is totally orthodox, faithful to the Magisterium, with no abuses during the Mass. Any information will be greatly appreciated.
The Coming Home Network has a great Church History Conference in Columbus in November each year. I think many of their people live in the area so there must be good parishes there.

St. Patrick Church in downtown Columbus is one of the finest parishes in the diocese.

It is staffed by the Dominicans so there is great preaching. They offer confessions 7 days a week. Communion is received kneeling and on the tongue but no one is denied if they want to stand or receive in the hand.

There are traditional Catholic hymns. Occasionally a little Latin and some Gregorian chant. Only boys serve at the altar.

There are plenty of other parishes with orthodox teaching but correctly following the rubrics of the Mass is a different matter entirely.

If your friend is interested in checking out the Traditional Latin Mass then Holy Family is the place to go. It’s just a few miles from St. Patrick. I believe that Holy Family and St. Patrick are the #1 and #2 parishes in the diocese when it comes to producing vocations.

James

I would recommend the cathedral downtown. Excellent music, excellent preaching, great liturgy.

I would recommend the cathedral downtown. Excellent music, excellent preaching, great liturgy.
I can second that as well. The music at the Cathedral is fantastic.

AlwaysCatholic, If you have any idea where in town your friend will be staying I could probably give some more recommendations as well.

As far as I know there is only 1 place in town that is really known for unorthodox teaching (and there have been some major improvements there lately or so I have been told).

But, minor Liturgical abuses are very, very common.

James

Thank you James, St. Patricks sounds just like the parish we are looking for. It is hard to imagine a parish where kneeling for communion and on the tongue is the norm.
I have already passed on the information to my friend.
God Bless.

Holy Family is excellent as well. The pastor is an excellent confessor who has always imparted sage advice to this simple sinner. I second (or is it third?) Saint Patricks on Naughten… During the weekdays, two priests hear confession every day… And their is a line for both. It is a parish that means business!

For a special treat, an opportunity should be taken to visit Saint John Chrysostom Byzantine Catholic (my home parish) on Cleveland Ave. It is one of the fineset and most complete churches of its type in America.

The iconography and the architecture is amazing… It is a real gem of a Byzantine Church, and Father Terry (no familiarity assumed, we all call priests by frist name as Greek Catholics!) gives a decent homily every week and has a great voice for chanting the service.

For weekday Masses, the “Lunchtime Low” at the Cathedral is excellent if your friend will be working downtown… 30-40 people on thier lunch hour make it (starts at 12:05), so no singing but always reverent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back