Coming from shamanism to Catholicism

  • Thread starter Thread starter newcalling
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

newcalling

Guest
My childhood was full of tragedy and terror. It left me shattered in mind and spirit. The practice of shamanism came to me, and I was able to put myself back together. I was raised semi-Catholic at first, but mostly was a Baptist growing up. I never lost my love for or belief in Jesus, but I started to study other religions. Primarily I studied Hinduism and Siberian shamanism, but also many other cultures and religions along with Jewish and Christian mysticism. I eventually became a practicing shaman.

A couple of years ago, I was in shamanic journey when I met the Archangel Michael, who told me to go attend a Catholic mass. After attending a few Masses, he again came to me and told me to join the church. I almost did, but my best friend talked me out of it.

A year later, Mary, the Blessed Virgin, came to me and told me that it was time to join the church. I started attending Mass again, and this time my best friend not only didn’t talk me out of it, but also decided to join the church!

I believe in the apostolic authority of the church. I believe in its teachings, I love the Pope and I look forward to my first communion (should be at this years Pentecost) I had years of doubts and lots of “facts” against the church, but after praying a long series of the hail Mary in front of the Guadalupe painting in our chapel, I saw things in a new light. All of my doubts vanished, and my understanding of the facts changed. Suddenly I had no reason left to deny the church.

Anyway, I have a bunch of questions, but I will have to make a reply to continue this because of oddities with my phone. Opinions on the first half are appreciated as well. Thank you.
 
I should note that the above instance wasn’t my first time meeting Mary or almost coming to the church, but those are other stories and some of it gets into the forbidden topic of private revelation.

My questions:

I dealt with familiar spirits: do I need an exorcism?

In a strange way, shamanism lead me to Catholicism, and to giving up shamanism. How do I reconcile the oddity I see in that? I no longer practice shamanism. I still have important dreams and visions, but I have had those since before practicing shamanism.

I should note that I know my guardian angel, and he was with me through it all. Perhaps he kept me from anything too spiritually dangerous?

I hope that this isn’t too insane or left field for you all. The priest of my parish barely speaks English, and this is difficult enough to discuss without adding the language barrier. I don’t know any other priests.
 
Now THAT sounds like a BIG change!

It would probably be a good idea to go to RCIA at the church and talk to the priest. If you can´t understand him, can you talk to another you can understand?
 
I know we often go to the closest parish, but can you go to another? Communication in this is KEY! You NEED to understand what´s said!
 
Hello NewCalling ~
I actually signed up when I saw your post (I usually just lurked around here and read). And trust me, your post is not too insane or out of left-field for me – I was there at one point too.

I joined the Church in 2005 – before that, I was Wiccan. Ouija Boards, Tarot Cards, séances, scrying, I mean all sorts of crazy stuff. I was pretty awful, and looking back at it I’m somewhat amazed I never had a demon materialize in front of me or something.
I never had any dreams or visions when attempting any magic; maybe I was just bad at it. I actually started investigating the Church after I attended my then-boyfriend’s grandmother’s funeral. She was Catholic, and I never met her. But, I felt so at peace at the funeral, and I just loved the service (and I feel sort of bad saying that), and felt less empty than before, if that makes sense. My boyfriend thought I was being overly emotional (I had just had an abortion a few days before that – told you I was kind of awful), but I felt something more. That’s how I sort of stumbled onto the Church.

Of course the priest knew all this – thankfully he was very understanding of everything. He did not give me an exorcism; he did give me a blessing though. We prayed of course, he recommended some books for me to read and strongly suggested that I get rid of any of the tools I was using and such. He said he actually put very little stock in any of the ‘witchcraft’ ideas (since it’s rather empty which may have been my problem), but he also said that if they weren’t around, they would not be ‘calling’ to me either. Better safe than sorry right?

But you really should be able to understand what is being said by the priest; trust me I would not have received the help I needed if I could not have understood what he was telling me. Is there another church in the area you could attend, where you could at least speak to their priest? I know that is probably not the best answer, but that sounds like it might be the best option. I know the priest is trying, but still I think right now you probably need someone who can communicate with you slightly better.

(And I’m sorry if I seem presumptuous for posting here since I just joined, but since I had been in a similar situation as you, I thought it might help.)
 
I know we often go to the closest parish, but can you go to another? Communication in this is KEY! You NEED to understand what´s said!
I agree with this. Definitely seek out a priest you can understand in your situation. God bless you on your journey!~
Mary.
 
Hello NewCalling ~
I actually signed up when I saw your post (I usually just lurked around here and read). And trust me, your post is not too insane or out of left-field for me – I was there at one point too.

I joined the Church in 2005 – before that, I was Wiccan. Ouija Boards, Tarot Cards, séances, scrying, I mean all sorts of crazy stuff. I was pretty awful, and looking back at it I’m somewhat amazed I never had a demon materialize in front of me or something.
I never had any dreams or visions when attempting any magic; maybe I was just bad at it. I actually started investigating the Church after I attended my then-boyfriend’s grandmother’s funeral. She was Catholic, and I never met her. But, I felt so at peace at the funeral, and I just loved the service (and I feel sort of bad saying that), and felt less empty than before, if that makes sense. My boyfriend thought I was being overly emotional (I had just had an abortion a few days before that – told you I was kind of awful), but I felt something more. That’s how I sort of stumbled onto the Church.

Of course the priest knew all this – thankfully he was very understanding of everything. He did not give me an exorcism; he did give me a blessing though. We prayed of course, he recommended some books for me to read and strongly suggested that I get rid of any of the tools I was using and such. He said he actually put very little stock in any of the ‘witchcraft’ ideas (since it’s rather empty which may have been my problem), but he also said that if they weren’t around, they would not be ‘calling’ to me either. Better safe than sorry right?

But you really should be able to understand what is being said by the priest; trust me I would not have received the help I needed if I could not have understood what he was telling me. Is there another church in the area you could attend, where you could at least speak to their priest? I know that is probably not the best answer, but that sounds like it might be the best option. I know the priest is trying, but still I think right now you probably need someone who can communicate with you slightly better.

(And I’m sorry if I seem presumptuous for posting here since I just joined, but since I had been in a similar situation as you, I thought it might help.)
I’m so glad you shared your experience and it was not at all presumptuous to ‘chime in.’
Welcome to the forums!~
Mary.
 
Archer: thank you for sharing your experience. Of course your (name removed by moderator)ut is welcome.

Everyone: Thank you for responding. I love the parish priest, but there is that language barrier. There are two other fathers who live there and hold the weekday masses, but they don’t have offices or office hours, only the parish priest does. It’s actually not the closest parish to me, but it is the one to which I felt called and is where I felt the call home to the church. It is already like home to me. I am in adult catechism classes there as well. They often call it rcia, but they explained that it is actually a much shorter program than rcia. We’ve been watching the symbolon videos and having discussion around them.

I have had bad experiences, mostly just getting the cold shoulder, talking to priests in the past, and I am nervous about calling or visiting one whom I don’t know. Many don’t want to talk about anything odd like this and they get uncomfortable.

I’m also not sure what to confess from my shamanic lifestyle. I didn’t choose to become a shaman. It’s not something one chooses, it is something which happens to one. In a way, I will always be a shaman, but I won’t practice pagan shamanic arts. I also acted as an interfaith minister. At the time, I didn’t think that any of it was sinful, so doesn’t that mean that it doesn’t meet the criteria for a mortal sin?

Any thoughts about the odd way which I was called to the church?
 
Archer: thank you for sharing your experience. Of course your (name removed by moderator)ut is welcome.

Everyone: Thank you for responding. I love the parish priest, but there is that language barrier. There are two other fathers who live there and hold the weekday masses, but they don’t have offices or office hours, only the parish priest does. It’s actually not the closest parish to me, but it is the one to which I felt called and is where I felt the call home to the church. It is already like home to me. I am in adult catechism classes there as well. They often call it rcia, but they explained that it is actually a much shorter program than rcia. We’ve been watching the symbolon videos and having discussion around them.

I have had bad experiences, mostly just getting the cold shoulder, talking to priests in the past, and I am nervous about calling or visiting one whom I don’t know. Many don’t want to talk about anything odd like this and they get uncomfortable.

I’m also not sure what to confess from my shamanic lifestyle. I didn’t choose to become a shaman. It’s not something one chooses, it is something which happens to one. In a way, I will always be a shaman, but I won’t practice pagan shamanic arts. I also acted as an interfaith minister. At the time, I didn’t think that any of it was sinful, so doesn’t that mean that it doesn’t meet the criteria for a mortal sin?

Any thoughts about the odd way which I was called to the church?
Since you’re from CA, I’d recommend finding a parish that has a sizable Native American community. I think you’d feel very welcome and they can help you in your spirituality, especially with your experiences in shamanism.
 
Well, I guess that this was all too much for this forum. Just please keep me in your prayers. After another thread here, I looked up father Richard Rohr, and I think that I will look more into his various ministries. He might have whatever I need to make sense of this transition.
 
Well, I guess that this was all too much for this forum. Just please keep me in your prayers. After another thread here, I looked up father Richard Rohr, and I think that I will look more into his various ministries. He might have whatever I need to make sense of this transition.
Newcalling , I.will.pray for you.
I don t know if it is too much for the forum. Sometimes we.just.do not know about issues , and sometimes.nothing replaces a personal dialogue with a priest. Do not take it as indifference or a cold shoulder.

May you be blessed !
 
Unfortunately I can’t answer your questions, but I wanted to express how happy I am for you! What a great experience and I pray that the Holy Spirit guides you to the right priest who can answer your questions.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top