Commentary/study bible

  • Thread starter Thread starter asd72
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

asd72

Guest
I have the Ignatius study bible for the New Testament and Genesis which I love!

I want to buy a study bible or commentary for the Old Testament. Something clear and insightful like the one I have of the New Testament, suitable for a lay person. I would consider commentaries of individual books if particularly good.

My daily bible study follows the Liturgy of the Word in the Ordinary form. I have the Catholic One phone app, and there is a reflection of the Gospel reading with that, and I have my New Testament commentary, but I don’t feel I am getting all I can from my readings in the old Testament.

Any recommendations?
 
I am like you, I just received the St Ignatius NT Study Bible for my birthday. Do they have an OT copy? Or just Genesis? I too would love recommendations!
 
I have the Ignatius study bible for the New Testament and Genesis which I love!

I want to buy a study bible or commentary for the Old Testament. Something clear and insightful like the one I have of the New Testament, suitable for a lay person. I would consider commentaries of individual books if particularly good.

…Any recommendations?
I have found the Navarre Bible to be a very good Catholic commentary series, and it covers the entire OT and NT. For example, here is the volume on The Pentateuch.

In the commentary section you will find many quotes from St. Josemaria Escriva (which is to be expected seeing as he was the founder of the University of Navarre), as well as many quotes from various popes, Fathers of the Church, Church documents and the Catechism. The English Bible translation used is the RSV and it also has the Latin text from the New Vulgate. If the idea of having the Latin text appeals to you then double-check before purchasing one of these books because there are condensed versions out there, and it is my understanding that the Latin text was removed from them.
 
I am like you, I just received the St Ignatius NT Study Bible for my birthday. Do they have an OT copy? Or just Genesis?
So far the only OT book that has been released (from the Ignatius Study Bible series) is Genesis. It is my understanding that the rest of the OT commentaries have been written, but, aside from Genesis, they are not yet ready for publication.
 
Thanks for that. I will check the Navarre series out.
If you’re a home handyperson, then the entire series is for you!

amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_p_n_feature_browse-b_mrr_1?rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3Anavarre+bible%2Cp_n_feature_browse-bin%3A2656020011&bbn=283155&keywords=navarre+bible&ie=UTF8&qid=1310974391&rnid=618072011

On any spare shelf space, you might want to augment the series with the entire set of Sacra Pagina commentaries!😃

amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=sacra+pagina&x=0&y=0

Of course, you may be living in one small room on a very tight budget after following this course of action … Naturally, this is more my dream than yours!

Good luck!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top