Commitment for Life

  • Thread starter Thread starter Diana_Catherine
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Diana_Catherine

Guest
In some protestant churches elderly people are having ceremonies called “commitment for life.” An elderly woman and man I know are considering this. They say it is a marriage, only the state doesn’t get involved.

Does anyone know if the Catholic church considers this a marriage in the eyes of God.
 
Idk for sure, but reasoning out that even a divorced couple is still considered married unless proven otherwise (annulment) or if one of them passes on. So, it is at least possible for a couple to be married in terms of the Church, but not by the state. However, in this particular situation, I don’t know for sure.
 
In some protestant churches elderly people are having ceremonies called “commitment for life.” An elderly woman and man I know are considering this. They say it is a marriage, only the state doesn’t get involved.

Does anyone know if the Catholic church considers this a marriage in the eyes of God.
I’m quite certain the Catholic Church does not consider this a marriage. That said, I’m also quite sure that the protestant couples couldn’t care less.
 
I’m quite certain the Catholic Church does not consider this a marriage. That said, I’m also quite sure that the protestant couples couldn’t care less.
Yeah, I guess I kind of like that answer.
 
This subject has come up in various forms over the years…I even started a thread a while back on the idea of having a religious wedding ceremony but just not fill out the civil paperwork…
These things are generally considered because the couple wishes to live together as man and wife, but not be penalized by Social Security.

the general response was that this could not be done in the Catholic Church because the priests are licensed by the state to marry (civilly) and are obligated to report…that is submit paperwork, on anyone they marry.
So they would be breaking the law if they did so.

I can only assume that the protestant ministers who do this are likewise breaking the law.

Now if a couple were to do this, and then seek to become Catholic…I can’t see the Church recognizing the marriage. They would require that the couple get properly married, in the Church which would mean the would be civilly married as well.

Peace
James
 
I can only assume that the protestant ministers who do this are likewise breaking the law.
I just wonder if they can get away with it because they aren’t really calling it marriage, but “commitment”.
 
I just wonder if they can get away with it because they aren’t really calling it marriage, but “commitment”.
Could be…but I doubt that will work when they stand before the big boss…

Peace
James
 
This subject has come up in various forms over the years…I even started a thread a while back on the idea of having a religious wedding ceremony but just not fill out the civil paperwork…
These things are generally considered because the couple wishes to live together as man and wife, but not be penalized by Social Security.

the general response was that this could not be done in the Catholic Church because the priests are licensed by the state to marry (civilly) and are obligated to report…that is submit paperwork, on anyone they marry.
So they would be breaking the law if they did so.

I can only assume that the protestant ministers who do this are likewise breaking the law.

Now if a couple were to do this, and then seek to become Catholic…I can’t see the Church recognizing the marriage. They would require that the couple get properly married, in the Church which would mean the would be civilly married as well.

Peace
James
This is what I kind of thought it was. I didn’t think the Catholic church would recognize the marriage but I wasn’t sure.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top